Archery Talk Forum banner
10081 - 10100 of 10128 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
I’ve done that. I like to slather that bad boy with peach preserves.
Going to a try a glaze/sauce from AmazingRibs.com Its got apricot preserves, honey, some dijon mustard a little worchestershire, a little soy sauce and some spices as well. Sounds tasty. Mix the apricot sauce with some chicken broth and put that in some foil with the ham (you wrap the ham in the foil a little ways into the cook). As soon as I mentioned the Apricot with honey and mustard my wife's eyes got real big and she was like, "Yes, you should try that one!" I know I post a lot about AmazingRibs website, but I've learned a lot about smoking and BBQ from them, and they have yet to steer me wrong :D Also have learned a lot from you all on AT ;) Will have to let y'all know how it turns out.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Reactions: pbuck

·
Registered
500 Posts
I think the Apricot Honey Mustard Double Smoked ham turned our pretty darn good.

Trimmed off the skin and excess fat on the outside, leaving just a thin layer of fat. Put her in the barrel at about 225 F.

Then mixed up the Apricot honey mustard glaze. Mixed about 1/4 of it with some chicken broth for a sauce.

After smoking the ham at 225 F for about 1.5hrs, plac the ham on big piec of foil in a tin/foil pan. Added the 1 cup of broth sauce to the foil, then wrapped up the ham with the foil tightly and then continued to cook/steam in the smoker at about 225 - 250F. It was taking a bit longer than I planned so I did bump the temp at the end up to 250 - 270F. Once the meat hit 130 F, I opened up the foil and painted the glaze on. Then closed the smoker leaving the foil open and let it cook another 10 mins, then painted the meat with a little bit of the sauce. Moved the pan with the meat off to a "table" (spare gas grill :) ) the put the rack in the smoker lower closer to the coals, which were getting nice and toasty now. Put the meat on its side over the hot coals for a few minutes rolling it around every couple minutes to caramelize and thicken the glaze. Here was the finished product. Served up the sauce with dripping on the side, to drizzled over the sliced pieces.

·
Beer Whisperer
11,870 Posts
Looks delicious!

Wife did our ham in the oven with a very similar glaze. Didn’t think to pull it out of the fridge to let it warm up some before sticking it in the oven. Even at 350-375 it took forever to heat up. we ended up cutting a few slices off for us to eat and put it back in for awhile lol!

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Mmm bacon….13lbs of it

10-day dry brine of apple powder, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, kosher salt and pink cure.

5.5 hour Hickory smoke

Yeah, I need to do that

·
Registered
500 Posts
Man that bacon looks good. Did some homemade bacon last year, and had tried some friend's home made bacon. So much better than any store bought stuff!

Reactions: 12-Ringer

·
Registered
27,949 Posts
My hunting buddy's old smoker died last year, so he ordered a new one and I helped him assemble it the other day. When I left for home, he had it running for the test cycle to burn out the paint and such. He called last night to report a pork loin in the fridge waiting for a rub and smoking scheduled for tomorrow morning.

That bacon looks awesome, Joe!

Now I'm hungry......

·
Registered
500 Posts
I need to find another slab O' belly to make some more bacon! I do have some pork loin in the freezer i keep meaning to cure for some more Irish/Canadian bacon.

I saw an interesting video on using beef belly from a side of beef ribs, or beef navel to make beef bacon. Pretty much the same process. Salt cure and then smoke until internal temp is about 150'ish. I think I'll have to try that out some day. Seems like it would have a different flavor, although still tasty. The closest I've come to beef bacon is making pastrami from corned beef :)

·
Pay It Forward
26,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10,093 ·
Man that bacon looks good. Did some homemade bacon last year, and had tried some friend's home made bacon. So much better than any store bought stuff!

It's great stuff, but definitely a labor of love - a lot like jerky....to do it well it takes a lot of time...not necessarily "working", but prepping, marinading, etc...and as soon as it's done it's GONE...I think I have 2lbs left (if that). I don't care, but it's funny.

I trim the pork belly very lean - I know most guard against it, but it makes SUCH a BETTER piece of bacon. The benefit, the heavy pork fat is excellent fluke/flounder bait in the summer. As I trim the pork belly, I simply cut the fat into 5-10" strips about 1/4 - 1/2" thick and 1.5-2" wide. The slicer helps a lot with the thickness and then I simply bag and freeze the strips for the flounder season.

·
Registered
500 Posts
It's great stuff, but definitely a labor of love - a lot like jerky....to do it well it takes a lot of time...not necessarily "working", but prepping, marinading, etc...and as soon as it's done it's GONE...I think I have 2lbs left (if that). I don't care, but it's funny.

I trim the pork belly very lean - I know most guard against it, but it makes SUCH a BETTER piece of bacon. The benefit, the heavy pork fat is excellent fluke/flounder bait in the summer. As I trim the pork belly, I simply cut the fat into 5-10" strips about 1/4 - 1/2" thick and 1.5-2" wide. The slicer helps a lot with the thickness and then I simply bag and freeze the strips for the flounder season.
I liked the pork belly bacon, but yeah some pieces seemed like they were all fat with little to no meat. I like the flavor and texture of the meat better than the fat. The pork loin for Irish/Canadian Bacon is the opposite just a little fat on the outside and all lean on the inside. Great flavor but as soon as you try and cook it or fry it up a little after it's already been smoked then it gets a bit tougher than I'd like. The flavor is there and awesome. I think have to try the pork shoulder turned to bacon (aka backboard bacon). It might have that right meat to fat ratio, LOL.

·
Beer Whisperer
11,870 Posts
I’ve said this before and you guys are probably tired of hearing it but, this chicken is maybe the best I’ve had….anywhere.

Cooked directly on the coals but raised up fairly high. 350-375 deg. Took about 1.5 hours. Breast up for around 40 minutes then flipped for 20 to crisp the skin then flipped back over till breasts hit 165.

Brined for 4 hours…..

Slathered on some mustard then sprinkled with this sweet rub. fairly heavy. Which btw, I think makes the meal…

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I’ve said this before and you guys are probably tired of hearing it but, this chicken is maybe the best I’ve had….anywhere.

Cooked directly on the coals but raised up fairly high. 350-375 deg. Took about 1.5 hours. Breast up for around 40 minutes then flipped for 20 to crisp the skin then flipped back over till breasts hit 165.

Brined for 4 hours…..

Slathered on some mustard then sprinkled with this sweet rub. fairly heavy. Which btw, I think makes the meal…

Mmmm, just hit the save button on this one

Reactions: pbuck

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Didn't get many process photos but thanks @pbuck for the trout ideas and help. Dry brined 12 fillets for 5 hours, rested in the fridge after a rinse for 4 to get a pellicle, threw in the Traeger for a few more at low temps and apple wood. Ate a couple of them with some goat cheese on crackers and it was delish. Going to do the rest in a smoked trout dip today.

Food Tableware Ingredient Recipe Deep frying

·
Beer Whisperer
11,870 Posts
Yeah,buddy!!! Glad I could help!

I hope they turned out as good as you expected??

·
Registered
spoon & crockpot proud member......killing tomorrows trophys today
32,749 Posts

Brined for 4 hours…..

i’m giving this one a shot this afternoon. Bird is in the brine right now. I’ll post up pictures later.

10081 - 10100 of 10128 Posts