Archery Talk Forum banner

Hey SMOKERS!!!!!!!

589020 Views 10637 Replies 753 Participants Last post by  Ishi Spirit
Thanks to Nicko and his new Green Egg there has been a bunch of smokehouse talk recently, so much so over the last 24hours that I had to go out and roll me a fattie....

Before

During

Pre smoke

In the smoker now....can't wait

I was on such a roll I forget to snap shots before "the roll" - once the bacon weave was complete and seasoned, with the sausage rolled over top, I slather the sausage wtih Sweet Baby Rays Original BBQ sauce, on topo of the slather goes pepperjack cheese, spinach, red onion and garlic. Roll the sausage UP, roll the bacon weave down - season again - I have become a HUGE fan of the Kansas City Rub that Open Season produces - can grab it lots of places, even Cabelas now. Their seasons are not nearly sa salty as many others on teh market.

It's in the smoke house now, holding a solid 210 degree temp with a heavy hickory/pecan smoke - couple hours (internal temp of 160) I'll pull that baby out and brush with a bit of a sweeter sauce, Sweet Baby Rays Honey Blend. Whole fattie didn't run me $25 and will taste like a MILLION bucks - even hada little left over for ac couple chubbies.... :wink:

PIcs of the finished product later...

If you're a smoker - share some of your craft!!!

Joe
10441 - 10460 of 10638 Posts

· Registered
735 Posts
I would get the largest capacity stuffer you can afford. I have the LEM 5 lb stuffer and it’s good and very reliable but I get tired of reloading it 5-7 times while stuffing. It may sound like a trivial problem by the time you’ve gotten down to that process of stuffing I really just wanna get it done and get everything back into the fridge.
I think before I do any more sausage I’m going to upgrade to the LEM mighty bite 15 pound stuffer.

Also I would say is if you plan on really getting into sausage making just spend the money now on all your equipment. If I had the money and I was starting over I would get a meat mixing tub and sausage stuffer that I could hook directly up to my meat grinder. It will definitely speed things up as opposed to use the hand cranking method while mixing and stuffing your sausages. The gear is awfully expensive though and not sure it would be worth it if you were just going to do a few 25 pound batches a year but I’ve done almost 300 pounds in the last year and it gets taxing and time consuming after a while lol.

· Registered
3,311 Posts
I would get the largest capacity stuffer you can afford. I have the LEM 5 lb stuffer and it’s good and very reliable but I get tired of reloading it 5-7 times while stuffing. It may sound like a trivial problem by the time you’ve gotten down to that process of stuffing I really just wanna get it done and get everything back into the fridge.
I think before I do any more sausage I’m going to upgrade to the LEM mighty bite 15 pound stuffer.

Also I would say is if you plan on really getting into sausage making just spend the money now on all your equipment. If I had the money and I was starting over I would get a meat mixing tub and sausage stuffer that I could hook directly up to my meat grinder. It will definitely speed things up as opposed to use the hand cranking method while mixing and stuffing your sausages. The gear is awfully expensive though and not sure it would be worth it if you were just going to do a few 25 pound batches a year but I’ve done almost 300 pounds in the last year and it gets taxing and time consuming after a while lol.
I 2nd this even though my wallet won't let me upgrade. Great advice if you can make it happen though

Reactions: Antlermass

· Beer Whisperer
12,385 Posts
The 15# LEM Mighty Bite would be my choice but you’ll still have to fill it a few times. Snack sticks take some pressure to fill and it will be much easier to do if the hopper isn’t completely full. The 15mm slim Jim size casings are really tough to fill. I usually make 19mm sticks.

I’m glad I bit the bullet and bought the 20# electric model but that’s a lot of $$ unless you use it a lot.

· Beer Whisperer
12,385 Posts
Well that rules out the 15# LEM.

· Beer Whisperer
12,385 Posts
Man, anytime someone makes ribs, I get to jonesing for a rack! [emoji1786][emoji1786]

Reactions: Billy H

· Registered
3,280 Posts
I love a good cast iron pizza, I have struggled for years to find a decent recipe for dough. Yours looks great 👍🏻 thanks for posting!
Here’s the recipe and it’s so easy to make. I use a mixer and dough hook but can be made the old fashioned way also.
Product Font Line Screenshot Material property

The only thing I leave out is the garlic. Rub a very light coat of EVO in your bowl that the dough will rise in.
A fella on another food forum gave a tip for the dough which is dry malted powder and it can be bought on Amazon. He says it makes better tasting crust, helps turn the yeast to sugar and helps the dough raise and produce a browner and crispier crust and he was right on all parts. For the recipe above only 1/4-1/2 Tsp is needed.
Cup Font Drinkware Drink Basket

· Registered
1,850 Posts
Had a wild feast today. Smoked a backstrap section to 135 with Cherry wood, then reversed seared. While the meat was in the smoker, I went to where I killed that buck as I have found maitake mushrooms there in the past, but it's been several years. I figured with the warm wet weather we have had recently, might find one. Well I hit the motherload and picked two monsters. Got back just in time to pull the meat, sear it and let it rest. Then pulled a few pieces of the maitake, cleaned and sauted them in olive oil, butter, roasted garlic cloves and some salt and pepper. While they were cooking down, walked out to the garden and pulled a handful of spinach. The finished product was awesome on this perfect fall day.

Food Tableware Ingredient Plant Leaf vegetable

Food Table Plant Building Bottle

Plant Wood Trunk Natural material Groundcover

· Beer Whisperer
12,385 Posts
Nice! ^^^

· Beer Whisperer
12,385 Posts
15# cheddar summer sausages ready for smoke tomorrow.

Also have a batch of jerky in the marinade to dry tomorrow also.

· Beer Whisperer
12,385 Posts
Good lookin' prep area.
Thanks. It was rough plumbed in for a basement bathroom and I first put in just the table and sink. A couple years ago I found a great deal on the apartment size fridge and stove so now I have a basement kitchen/butcher area instead of a bathroom [emoji1360][emoji1360]

Reactions: Antlermass
10441 - 10460 of 10638 Posts