Archery Talk Forum banner

Hey SMOKERS!!!!!!!

589048 Views 10638 Replies 753 Participants Last post by  USMC TBone
Thanks to Nicko and his new Green Egg there has been a bunch of smokehouse talk recently, so much so over the last 24hours that I had to go out and roll me a fattie....

Before

During

Pre smoke

In the smoker now....can't wait

I was on such a roll I forget to snap shots before "the roll" - once the bacon weave was complete and seasoned, with the sausage rolled over top, I slather the sausage wtih Sweet Baby Rays Original BBQ sauce, on topo of the slather goes pepperjack cheese, spinach, red onion and garlic. Roll the sausage UP, roll the bacon weave down - season again - I have become a HUGE fan of the Kansas City Rub that Open Season produces - can grab it lots of places, even Cabelas now. Their seasons are not nearly sa salty as many others on teh market.

It's in the smoke house now, holding a solid 210 degree temp with a heavy hickory/pecan smoke - couple hours (internal temp of 160) I'll pull that baby out and brush with a bit of a sweeter sauce, Sweet Baby Rays Honey Blend. Whole fattie didn't run me $25 and will taste like a MILLION bucks - even hada little left over for ac couple chubbies.... :wink:

PIcs of the finished product later...

If you're a smoker - share some of your craft!!!

Joe
10461 - 10480 of 10639 Posts

· Beer Whisperer
12,385 Posts
I got it all going on today. Dam East wind is killing me for hunting so I figured I’d cook. Lol!!!

I have veni jerky in the dehydrator, summer sausage in the MES and a spatchcock chicken in the brine to cook on the BGE this evening. [emoji1848]

Reactions: hokiehunter373

· Registered
3,280 Posts
I got it all going on today. Dam East wind is killing me for hunting so I figured I’d cook. Lol!!!

I have veni jerky in the dehydrator, summer sausage in the MES and a spatchcock chicken in the brine to cook on the BGE this evening. [emoji1848]
Wow is been out of the east in Iowa today and yesterday! Buck are really starting to roll here. Buddy killed one this morning and I passed a pretty good buck! My cell phone is going nuts with call for the taxidermy shop and I need to tag out but will wait if needed

· Beer Whisperer
12,385 Posts
Wow is been out of the east in Iowa today and yesterday! Buck are really starting to roll here. Buddy killed one this morning and I passed a pretty good buck! My cell phone is going nuts with call for the taxidermy shop and I need to tag out but will wait if needed
I only have a couple stands on the property I hunt and anything north or east is terrible for me. It’s been both since Thursday and is finally going to switch tomorrow afternoon.

I’m ahead my normal game as I managed to take a doe with the 350 Legend last weekend during the WV early antlerless firearms season. I usually don’t kill does until late season but a friend wanted me to go on his place with him so….sausage down!!! Lol!

· Beer Whisperer
12,385 Posts
Jerky guys, dehydrator or smoker?
I’m a dehydrator guy. I have 8 trays for my Gardenmaster so I can make way more in a batch than I ever could in my MES.

I add liquid smoke to my marinade so it has some smokey flavor.

Reactions: hokiehunter373

· Registered
3,311 Posts
I'm the same as @pbuck the dehydrator is just so easy. I've also got a gardenmaster and would recommend.

Reactions: pbuck

· Registered
735 Posts
Question for the jerky dehydrator guys. I know it was already mentioned about adding liquid smoke but would it be alright to put it on smoker for a few hours then move to dehydrator? Might seem like a silly question but I have no experience with a dehydrator.

· Registered
2010 APA Black Mamba 6.5
1,455 Posts
When you all are referring to pork in your venison sausages is it pork fat or meat.

and do you add any pork fat to your deer jerky if doing it from ground meat with a jerky gun.
I bought a smoker this past week and am looking to do my own deer into pepperoni and jerky this year. And slowly learn to do different things.

10461 - 10480 of 10639 Posts