Archery Talk Forum banner

Hey SMOKERS!!!!!!!

589020 Views 10637 Replies 753 Participants Last post by  Ishi Spirit
Thanks to Nicko and his new Green Egg there has been a bunch of smokehouse talk recently, so much so over the last 24hours that I had to go out and roll me a fattie....

Before

During

Pre smoke

In the smoker now....can't wait

I was on such a roll I forget to snap shots before "the roll" - once the bacon weave was complete and seasoned, with the sausage rolled over top, I slather the sausage wtih Sweet Baby Rays Original BBQ sauce, on topo of the slather goes pepperjack cheese, spinach, red onion and garlic. Roll the sausage UP, roll the bacon weave down - season again - I have become a HUGE fan of the Kansas City Rub that Open Season produces - can grab it lots of places, even Cabelas now. Their seasons are not nearly sa salty as many others on teh market.

It's in the smoke house now, holding a solid 210 degree temp with a heavy hickory/pecan smoke - couple hours (internal temp of 160) I'll pull that baby out and brush with a bit of a sweeter sauce, Sweet Baby Rays Honey Blend. Whole fattie didn't run me $25 and will taste like a MILLION bucks - even hada little left over for ac couple chubbies.... :wink:

PIcs of the finished product later...

If you're a smoker - share some of your craft!!!

Joe
10481 - 10500 of 10638 Posts

· Beer Whisperer
12,385 Posts
Question for the jerky dehydrator guys. I know it was already mentioned about adding liquid smoke but would it be alright to put it on smoker for a few hours then move to dehydrator? Might seem like a silly question but I have no experience with a dehydrator.
I can’t see why this would hurt anything.

· Beer Whisperer
12,385 Posts
When you all are referring to pork in your venison sausages is it pork fat or meat.

and do you add any pork fat to your deer jerky if doing it from ground meat with a jerky gun.
I bought a smoker this past week and am looking to do my own deer into pepperoni and jerky this year. And slowly learn to do different things.
I use pork shoulder in my sausage. It has plenty of fat in the meat. I’ve settled on about 2-1 ratio of lean venison to pork shoulder for almost all my sausages. That’s 8# of venison and 4.5# pork for a 12.5# batch.

A lot of times I’ll use country still ribs instead of shoulder. It’s usually cheaper, for whatever reason, but is the exact same thing.

Reactions: Billy H and Leviw96

· Registered
2010 APA Black Mamba 6.5
1,455 Posts
I use pork shoulder in my sausage. It has plenty of fat in the meat. I’ve settled on about 2-1 ratio of lean venison to pork shoulder for almost all my sausages. That’s 8# of venison and 4.5# pork for a 12.5# batch.

A lot of times I’ll use country still ribs instead of shoulder. It’s usually cheaper, for whatever reason, but is the exact same thing.
Thanks. For the reply. Planning on starting this next week

· Registered
545 Posts
When you all are referring to pork in your venison sausages is it pork fat or meat.

and do you add any pork fat to your deer jerky if doing it from ground meat with a jerky gun.
I bought a smoker this past week and am looking to do my own deer into pepperoni and jerky this year. And slowly learn to do different things.
I dont have much experience with the ground meat and jerky gun method, but I know when making regular (not ground meat) jerky I wouldn't want any extra fat inbthe meat. Generally when making regular (not ground meat) jerky you want the meat as lean as possible. Any residual fat will stick around after the drying process and not dry out. The heat used is usually low enough that the fat won't render completely (melt/liquify). This would make the jerky greasy and less shelf stable. It will also make it possible for the grease in the jerky to go rancid providing an off taste/smell to it. This might not be as big of a deal if the jerky doesn't last as long or if you plan on storing the jerky in a freezer long term or fridge for short term. But for all intents and purposes you generally want as little fat/grease in your jerky meat as possible.

Now when making sausage it's the other way around. I'm still new to the sausage arena, but from what I've read you want enough fat in your sausage meat mixture to keep it from drying out or being crumbly when cooked/smoked. I made some venison breakfast sausage that was 2 lbs ground pork (tubes bought from store) and 3 lbs of lean ground deer meat (I trim as much fat and gristly bits off my venison as possible before grinding it myself). I think the consistency came put great and plan to use a similar mix for future sausage endeavors (if I can get another deer soon).

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Reactions: pbuck and Leviw96

· Registered
2010 APA Black Mamba 6.5
1,455 Posts
I dont have much experience with the ground meat and jerky gun method, but I know when making regular (not ground meat) jerky I wouldn't want any extra fat inbthe meat. Generally when making regular (not ground meat) jerky you want the meat as lean as possible. Any residual fat will stick around after the drying process and not dry out. The heat used is usually low enough that the fat won't render completely (melt/liquify). This would make the jerky greasy and less shelf stable. It will also make it possible for the grease in the jerky to go rancid providing an off taste/smell to it. This might not be as big of a deal if the jerky doesn't last as long or if you plan on storing the jerky in a freezer long term or fridge for short term. But for all intents and purposes you generally want as little fat/grease in your jerky meat as possible.

Now when making sausage it's the other way around. I'm still new to the sausage arena, but from what I've read you want enough fat in your sausage meat mixture to keep it from drying out or being crumbly when cooked/smoked. I made some venison breakfast sausage that was 2 lbs ground pork (tubes bought from store) and 3 lbs of lean ground deer meat (I trim as much fat and gristly bits off my venison as possible before grinding it myself). I think the consistency came put great and plan to use a similar mix for future sausage endeavors (if I can get another deer soon).
Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
I think you are correct. I talked with a friend at work that smokes he said the same.

· Beer Whisperer
12,385 Posts
LEM is having a 25% off sale site wide. It’s usually 20% so this is a pretty good deal.

Reactions: USMC TBone

· Registered
2,182 Posts
Question for all that make items that you will reheat to eat after smoking ie polish, andouille etc.
Is it necessary to get the item up to the temp the directions require if you are not going to eat them off the smoker? I was asked this by the BIL and my first answer was yes. But now thinking about it I am not sure. I did read somewhere that you do need to get the meat up to a certain temp and hold for awhile in order to kill most pathogens.
What do you think?

· Registered
2,345 Posts
Here’s a nice Tenderloin treat:

Tenderloins
Light coat of olive oil
Traeger Blackened Saskatchewan

Smoke at 250 until a temp of 145°.

Rest for 3 minutes, enjoy!

· "GO BUCKS!!!"
6,900 Posts
Has anyone used the Meater plus thermometer? My Igrill thermometer bit the dust, so thinking about asking Santa for a Meater, just curious how guys like them if you had one

· Beer Whisperer
12,385 Posts
Has anyone used the Meater plus thermometer? My Igrill thermometer bit the dust, so thinking about asking Santa for a Meater, just curious how guys like them if you had one
I know 12 Ringer has/had one but I haven’t seen him on here for awhile. He bought in back when it was in development.

· Registered
3,311 Posts
Question for all that make items that you will reheat to eat after smoking ie polish, andouille etc.
Is it necessary to get the item up to the temp the directions require if you are not going to eat them off the smoker? I was asked this by the BIL and my first answer was yes. But now thinking about it I am not sure. I did read somewhere that you do need to get the meat up to a certain temp and hold for awhile in order to kill most pathogens.
What do you think?
I don't know why you wouldn't and without thinking too much into it I would say, yes, you need to. Maybe if you pull whatever it is and freeze it right away it'll be safe but I'm not sure what benefit you're getting from doing so.

· Banned
4,160 Posts
I have found that when smoking pork the simpler the better! Sure i do the mustard, and some Dan-Os original , sweet paprika, garlic/onion powder, and a bbq rub simple smoke 4 hrs, in oven for 2 wrapped in tin full of apple juice. Comes out perfect every time! I do brisket similar no mustard / no apple juice!
Food Tableware Cake Ingredient Baked goods

Food Cuisine Recipe Cooking Dish

10481 - 10500 of 10638 Posts