Archery Talk Forum banner

Hey TV hunters - if you’re reading this….

2531 Views 42 Replies 30 Participants Last post by  jsurvant
No one wants to watch you hunt deer out of Red-neck blind or any other enclosed plastic stand with a bow.

It’s a total turn off and not how 99.9% of us hunt. Get a clue. [emoji41]. Midwest Whitetail I’m looking at you.

There. Back to my [emoji1634].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

· Registered
2,990 Posts
Y’all are ruining archerytalk with these nonsense threads. The tv hunters don’t care what you think archerytalk don’t care what you think you’re here complaining bc your wife doesn’t care what you think about it etc etc. go to Facebook for gossip.

I can relate to all of it the long shots the pretty tree stands the big deer the trophy rooms etc etc. that help you any?

12,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Just curious …being devils advocate here….. if the “TV HUNTERS” we’re to call you and say would you like to o hunt out of one of my box blinds and watch 25 deer feed in a field every night……. Would you accept the offer or just bitch how they do it?
If that is a serious question, then the answer is yes, I would turn it down. I have the means to hunt with any guided outfit I would chose to, in IL or out. But I don't. I hunt public land and permission land that I get from knocking on doors.

I had the opportunity to take a guided elk archery hunt and turned it down, bc I wanted to do it my way which was DIY, Public Land, Backpack hunting with a bow. Took me 3 years but I did it. Some people just like to do it the harder way.

· Registered
1,303 Posts
What about the baiting. I'm not against it where legal, But when you see a camera pan down on a deer and there are full cobs of corn with the husks pulled back all over the ground. How is that not baiting in Iowa. Rows of corn rolled flat with the cobs all intact is not a normal farming practice. I see this almost every episode on one particular show. I even like to watch the show because I like the hunters. But, it seems odd that this is necessary. A normal combine will leave plenty to eat. Unless of course you are feeding 100 deer.

· Registered
237 Posts
Regarding Bill Winke's daughter. I think having his daughter shoot practice shots from the stand or blind is a great idea. I used to do the same years ago shooting aluminum arrows and judo points. Now I'm cheap and can't afford to destroy my carbon arrows.

· Registered
1,146 Posts
Pretty sure MW knows it’s not what most people want to see. Look at THP that started from MW and is now crushing it. THP is more relatable to the average hunter. MW is a different show for different people. I used to watch it mainly for the high quality footage and editing but I have gotten fed up with box blinds and passing huge deer and people shooting multiple giants in the same area in a single year. I’m still subscribed but can’t remember the last time I watched an episode especially since Jared left.

· Registered
4,306 Posts
Yeah I don’t know why but I hate seeing them hunt out of blinds. The hunts are more exciting from tree stands in the timber. The big food plot blind hunts are boring. I use to love watching the drurys but now all they do is hunt food plots out of ******* blinds.

· Registered
3,392 Posts
We are all entitled to our opinions, but when you say "no one" wants to watch... you are assuming everyone agrees with you. Narcissistic much?.

I don't mind watching folks hunt private land out of a ******* Blind or any other type of enclosed blind. So that makes you wrong. You said "no one". But, if I didn't enjoy it I would simply change the channel or not watch at all vs. going on ArcheryTalk and complaining about it.

In my opinion this is the biggest problem in the hunting industry. Everyone thinks their way of hunting is the best or hardest or whatever. Hunting Public Land makes you the best hunter out there, etc, etc, etc...

I watched a video on Instagram yesterday where a guy was saying that crossbow hunters are not "bow hunters". Again, we are all entitled to our own opinions. I'm sure that's what the long bow or recurve bow hunters are saying about the compound bow hunters. I'm sure they think the compound bow hunters are not true bow hunters. Who cares how someone else chooses to hunt as long as it's legal?

I had a guy on Instagram tell me yesterday that private land deer and public land deer are two different animals. NO, deer are deer. He said that private land deer can be patterned and that you will find them in "a day or two" at the most. Hahaha. I wish it was that easy. I just had my 70th hunt this season looking for my #1 target buck and I have yet to lay eyes on him. Are people really that gullible? Deer can't "think" or "reason". They are great at reacting to their immediate surroundings because their life depends on it. Obviously, if you have more human intrusion on a property you will "spook" the deer more thus causing them to be more skittish. But, a private land deer or a public land deer will all "react" the same. Deer don't know they type of land they are on. They simply react to their senses of smell, hearing and eyesight. Period.

Even using the phrase "TV hunters" is hilarious. I know many, many so called "TV hunters" and have hunted with them. What I found was that they are just hunters that decided to film their hunts. Almost all of them started out hunting just like anyone else. They love hunting just like we all do. So being a "TV hunter" doesn't make them less of a man or woman or less of a hunter as well as it doesn't make them a better hunter or man or woman.

· Registered
30,672 Posts
I guess I need some clarification on this rant......are you against hunting from a blind, period.....or just watching folks in blinds during TV show episodes? Plus there are some significant differences in the genre of blinds. A turtle shell blind on the top of a platform that is moved around with a tractor is quite a bit different than a popup blind or even a Red Neck bale blind on the ground.

I confess hunting from blinds over the course of a typical year. During spring turkey season, I have a Baronette Big Cat 350 which I sometimes set up in places I've patterned turkeys in their daily travels and then set out a decoy or two. Other times I take a folding stool and my Miss Purr-fect fold up deke and just hunker down behind some brush wearing a leafy suit. I don't self-film and subject others to watching my tactics, but either one is just fine with me if a tagged bird is at the conclusion of the hunt. There is no inherent nobility in sitting out or in by my reasoning.

On our 10 acre home property, which is either mowed or wild grass areas, I put up a Red Neck bale blind in the NW corner where two adjacent crop fields form an inside edge. There is no other cover and the two 4-5" diameter maples serve only as a place for bucks to rub and make scrapes.....far too small to climb with a stand. So my only option is to sit in the bale blind, which I do about 5-6x a season between late October and mid-November. Once the rut is over and crops harvested, it goes pretty dead and I pull the cover off the bale blind until the following August. I go out in the morning before light, sit for a few hours and have killed deer by shooting out an open window port. Again I don't self-film and ask anyone to "join" me, but also don't feel as though I need to apologize to anyone for using that as one of my seasonal methods.

Most other places I take my Cougar Claw climber, mobile fixed stand setup or just carry a Double Bull camo folding chair to set up on the ground. I actually hunt from the ground more often than not on local spots because other hunters also have access and I never know what I will encounter until I get there. Thus if I am sitting on the ground, the issue is finding adequate cover or going to a spot where I can use my blind. They are just part of the tool kit of a bowhunter and frankly, watching a guy sit in a pre-set treestand whispering to his cameraman about Twinkies is no more exciting.

· Registered
10,048 Posts
Pretty sure MW knows it’s not what most people want to see. Look at THP that started from MW and is now crushing it. THP is more relatable to the average hunter. MW is a different show for different people. I used to watch it mainly for the high quality footage and editing but I have gotten fed up with box blinds and passing huge deer and people shooting multiple giants in the same area in a single year. I’m still subscribed but can’t remember the last time I watched an episode especially since Jared left.
If THP hunted mainly private, I'd bet they'd have the latest and greatest blinds up. Jake's private hunts in Wisc are in blinds, homemade but they are. I also happen to enjoy those rifle hunts

· Registered
7,766 Posts
Regarding Bill Winke's daughter. I think having his daughter shoot practice shots from the stand or blind is a great idea. I used to do the same years ago shooting aluminum arrows and judo points. Now I'm cheap and can't afford to destroy my carbon arrows.
Zwickey judo points work on carbon arrows too. I will often pick out a leaf and shoot an
arrow before I get ready to get down for the day. It's a good confidence builder.

· Registered
1,867 Posts
No one wants to watch you hunt deer out of Red-neck blind or any other enclosed plastic stand with a bow.

It’s a total turn off and not how 99.9% of us hunt. Get a clue. [emoji41]. Midwest Whitetail I’m looking at you.

You sure told them! :ROFLMAO: I'm sure they're melting their plastic blinds down as we speak. (y)

Reactions: BigDeer

· Registered
302 Posts
Nobody can be happy for anybody anymore. A lot of these “TV Hunters” ( not all) have worked really hard to get to where they are and have earned everything they have. Durys & Lee Laskowski for example. They took huge financial chances and sacrificed to get to where they are. I respect the hell outta that. Most people are just jealous and not willing to put in the work it takes to get to where they are. It’s simply the way of our world and social media. If I don’t like the way you do something, I’ll take to social media and trash you from the comfort of my living room then check back every hr to see how many likes I got.

· Registered
5,263 Posts

I like to watch TV hunters hunting out of a red-neck blind with a bow, while I'm sitting in my red-neck blind with a bow (on my big screen) while munching on snacks and drinking beer waiting for a booner to walk by at 75 yards so I can put a rage through his cage (that's what we call the guts around here).

12,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Nobody can be happy for anybody anymore. A lot of these “TV Hunters” ( not all) have worked really hard to get to where they are and have earned everything they have. Durys & Lee Laskowski for example. They took huge financial chances and sacrificed to get to where they are. I respect the hell outta that. Most people are just jealous and not willing to put in the work it takes to get to where they are. It’s simply the way of our world and social media. If I don’t like the way you do something, I’ll take to social media and trash you from the comfort of my living room then check back every hr to see how many likes I got.
You’re putting words in my mouth. I never said anything about not being happy for anyone. In fact, I’ve been a huge supporter of Lee and Tiffany as well as the Midwest Whitetail guys for years. I just lost total interest in watching them hunt when they move to hunting at a ******* blinds all the time. Just not my style. And to those that say that they don’t pay attention to Archerytalk, you were wrong. We Are Their Court, Democratic and the people that pay money to watch them on outdoor channel sportsman channel for you too.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts