Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I am interested in this sight but I have one (important) question that bugs me.

Hunting scenario :

Let's say you're in your tree stand with your bow well set and everything lined up...

Here comes a buck that you want to harvest...

Waiting for the right moment...deer's at 20 yds......you set your pin on 20 (you probably would already have..:)) and draw your bow back, anchor and aim...

You're at full draw ready to let that arrow fly and suddenly the deer spooks (for no reason) and runs 10/15 yds. and stops...broadside :(.

You have your pin set on the 20 yds. mark....from previously expected shot to be taken at that distance...

What can you do ?

- Let down....reset pin and draw again (given the buck's still there waiting for you and did not notice anything - very unlike, as the deer is very spooky...) ?

- Guess the distance by aiming higher (mmhh...not really a nice thing to do, especially if you have not practiced before...) ?

- Else (is it possible to move the slider with the left hand while at full draw...) ?

This is not a test, but I need to understand if this is something I'd have to deal with, by choosing this type of sight.

I like the idea of the single pin slider, but I guess in this case (not rare I'd say..) with a fixed pins there would be no problems as you can easily switch pin while still aiming...

Thnx
:darkbeer:

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've used single pin slider style sights for hunting in the past and what I do is set my pin to 25 yards and don't touch it for hunting. This will put me about 2 inches high at 20 and 1.5 inches low at 30. I practice, practice, practice, at various distances so that I know where to hold for each distance. Once things happen in the woods I know my distances and know where to hold. Proper preparation is the key. I have never been in a situation where I changed my pin location while hunting.

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
It would depend on how fast your bow is shooting and how comfortable you are holding over on an animal.

If you practice this scenario it wouldn't be to big of a deal, otherwise it may be.

The one thing you can do, and this works well for spot and stalk with the single pin as well, is take a silver sharpie or a whiteout pen and make a dot on your post, or two dots for that matter.

Set you pin at twenty and use the dots to see where they hit....It doesn't have to be exact to a round yardage, like 30 and 40 but it gives you another reference point.

Then shoot with your sigh set at 30 and see where they are....keep doing this until you cover your comfortable shooting range.

·
Registered
9,509 Posts
You have a great question which I had the complete opposite happen, had a really nice 10ptr walk almost directly under my stand giving me a 11yd shot:mg: I had my sight set at 30yds. I had even told myself earlier where to aim if a deer should come in close or farther out, I made a complete miss right over his back:mad::mad::mad::mad: it was a learning experience for me, if I had it set at 20yds. I would have a nice 10ptr for the wall. I also had another situation where a few days later a small 4ptr came in he walked in and stayed just over 40yds out, I was able to move the sight to 40yds but he never gave me a clear shot:cry::cry:

You will just have to figure out what yardage too keep it at say 20-25yds depending on the speed of your bow, so you won't have to put too much thinking into it. I love my HHA I thought about after my miss of going back to fixed pins, which I did resight in with my bow in with, but after sitting in the woods with the fixed pin I just told myself I could do it with a slider, so I switched back.

·
Registered
377 Posts
What would you do if you had a 3 pin sight and the deer was now at 35 yards? Guess the distance and shoot in between your 30 and 40 yard pin? You are not going to let down to use a range finder on him with either sight are you? So with either sight you are going to have guess the distance and adjust from there. I use the sight in question (hha5519) for hunting and have taken deer out to 52 yards with my pin set on 20 yards. You just have to shoot a lot so you can accuatly judge how far the arrow will drop in a given yardage. Its really not that hard to do at all. Go to a 3D shoot and try it sometime.

- Guess the distance by aiming higher (mmhh...not really a nice thing to do, especially if you have not practiced before...) ?

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
With most bows now adays, if I use my 20 yard pin at 30 yards, it's mabye 2-3" low. When I'm sitting in my treestand, if my longest shot is 30 yards, I'll set it at the 20 yard mark and will be fine on a deer sized animal.

Also, as previously mentioned, practice, so you know what your bow will do in that situation ahead of time.

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
Even with a 3-5 pin sight, that scenario is all a matter of familiarity with your equipment and your own limitations and abilities.

Train like you fight.

·
Banned
18,640 Posts
I shoot at 290 fps....I leave it set at 25 yds and am good from 5-32/33 yds....If you have multiple pins...you still have to hold over or under with what ever pin you decide to use(just hope you dont pic the wrong one...LOL....). I have had that scenerio happen and know the drop out to 35 yds or so.....a single pin adjustable is easier to concentrate on, come crunch time IMO....Hold a little high or low....very simple......:darkbeer:

·
Registered
214 Posts
If a deer spooks and runs off "10-15" yards, you are already guessing. As Envy said previous, whether you have a fixed or sliding pin sight, you are not going to let down and rangefind it. You just have to take your best educated guess. No matter what sight you use, its gonna come down to a judgement call if your target moves while at full draw.

·
Registered
7,807 Posts
I set my HHA at 25 yds. when hunting.

I do not shoot higher speeds for hunting..... normally in the 248 to 260 range or so.

I practice that setting at 12, 18, 28, 35, 40 yds. At 30 a touch high. At 35 yds about crest of back. At 40 a few inches above.

In most cases (depending on terrain of course) the further the animal is away.... the more time you have to adjust.

~

1 - 10 of 10 Posts