Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased the HHA DS 5519. Love the sight so far. However, I have not yet put any of the yardage tapes on the dial. I was just interested in hearing about how accurate they really are before I take the time to do another sight in with only about a week and a half left until opening day. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
241 Posts
Very accurate!!! Just bought one used on here with a tape already on it for my dad and we shot it at 20 yds and adjusted the dial to were it would say twenty and from there all the way to 60 yds his bow shot maybe an inch high on average @ 60 and less than inch when we went to 40,30 and so on to what the tapes showed. We got lucky that the bow that the sight was on was apparently very similar in speed and arrow setup as it was close enough that we couldnt determine if it was the shooter or the sight!!!!! Really like this sight aand the tapes i have one that im putting on my new HCA when it gets here and will give a further review

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very glad to hear that you had such good luck. Thanks for the input. Just out of curiosity, do you know how fast your dads bow is shooting?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Its not very fast , its a 2010 martin pro magnum or something similar and set at 30" and around 58# along with GT arrows at 29" and 100 grain tips, so if he was 270+ I would be surprised. The tape maxed out at 60 yds so that will maybe let you know which tape or range of tapes he has on it but it was dead on at 20 and gradually shot a little high the further out we went but he was happy with the way it worked out!!!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
As long as you follow the directions and shoot alot at the two different ranges, to make sure you're exactly on, it works really well. I shoot around 260 fps and shot at 60 yards for a couple days just to make sure I was dead on, used the suggested tape, and it was exactly on for all the ranges.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
I too have a 5519 and while the sight did come with all the tapes,here is what I do:

First I'm shooting a Destroyer 340 @ 65 lbs draw @ 30" I don't have a crono so speed would be a guess at best.All I do is put a piece of white masking tape where the sight tapes would go on the sight,Then shoot at 20 yards and put a small pen mark on the tape,then go to 30 yards ,etc.This method has worked for me for a long time.JMHO

·
Registered
361 Posts
The tapes are extremely accurate. The new sets go to 80 yards and the two bows I have the longer tapes on are dead on all the way through the range.

Don't mess around trying to make your own tapes when you have clean and nicely printed ones.

Just take your time and make sure you are on at 20 and 60. I go and shoot 2-3 different times at 60 to ensure it is on. I messed around one day shooting odd yardage like 38, 46, 58, etc and I was always on the mark.

·
Registered
12,895 Posts
Another alternative is TAP for 15.00 download. Same idea, use the scale print the tape on Avery labels ..cover with clear tape. Trim and stick..you can run them to any distance well past 80 yards and customize the way you like and make as many as you want.. Works really the same as the HHA tapes but you make them yourself

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the great input. Looks like the thing to do would be to shoot a couple days at 60 yards to ensure accuracy at that distance as I already have solid 20 yard measurement. Thanks again.

·
Registered
771 Posts
They are more accurate than you can imagine. Just follow the directions exactly. Its so nice to just range your target, dial it exactly to what you want and presto dead nuts on.
Best sight IMO. I have taken game at yards out to... well longer than the tape goes, and its never let me down.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the great feedback, can't wait to get the tape on there!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts