Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always hunted with a fixed pin sight, with one pin at 20yds....so I figured the HHA would be perfect. It would allow me to continue to shoot the way I have, but give me an option for longer shots if I wanted.

Now here is my issue. I've got my bow tuned well, and the sight is dialed in at 20yds. However - the sight is in the bottom mounting holes, and almost all the way to the bottom (meaning I have very little room to adjust for longer shots). I can get a 20 & 30...that is it, and it bottoms out at 30 (I am pushing it all the way to the top). Its not a big issue really for my hunting, but it kinda defeats the purpose of having a slider if I can't make it work for longer ranges. I do like to shoot 40 & 50 at targets....can't do it with this.

I am shooting a 2008 Allegiance, 29/65 and the sight is the OL-5019. I anchor at the corner of my mouth, nose to the string...and shoot a peep. Probably shooting 275 fps or so. I measured from my arrow shaft at rest, the fiber on my sight pin is 2.5" above it (when set on 20yds).

I have no clue why it is this way, everyone else seems to have no issues with it. Heck I hear about people shooting 90yds with these. ?

Any suggestions? I'm clueless. There is no other way to mount the sight on the riser, only two holes - and I'm all the way down on the slots for the sight ...so the housing is as low as it will go already. I feel like an idiot. :confused:

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
543 Posts
Mike,
Can you post a picture of the set up? Close shot of the mounting bracket and holes. If no access to a digital camera use someones telephone cam. It will work.

·
ebayuserid:hunting_par
1,473 Posts
A pic of your sight setup would help. I shoot the HHA 5500xl. If is in the bottom mounting holes for the sight head as well. I have mine sighted in out to 90 yards shooting a reezen at 307 fps. I think I could get to 95 but that would be about it.
Here's a question for you. Is the slider all the way down or up when the 20 yard setting is dialed in? It should be at the bottom which will be at the farthest distance from your arrow at rest. You should be able to easily get to 80 with your setup.
Hope that helps. I can post a pic of mine if you like when I get home tonight.

·
Vendor
84,690 Posts
These guys are right. You must not have it set up correct. I just bought one and this is my 4th one I have owned and my 20 yard is set when I push the slider all the way down and its dead on at 20 and I have the 65 yard less than half way up the slider. so yeah I could get 90 yards out of mine if I wanted to . so something isnt set up right. Post pictures and one of us will get it figured out .

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
is your peep sight between 5 & 6 " above your loop/nock?
also is your arrow covering the Berger hole at full draw when viewed from the side?
Likely causes: Peep Height, Rest height, Loop Height, or Sight set-up

·
Registered
690 Posts
Mike, I've got an 08 Allegiance 28/70 and I just put an HHA OL-XL5519 on it. The scope is above the bottom holes, I can't remember if it's one or two off the bottom. I can get from 20-60 yards no problem and that is shooting a 28" 2315 w/ 100 gr tip (510 gr total).

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, thanks for the replies.

My peep is 4.75" above my nock....arrow is right on the berger hole (nock is about 1/8" high). From the top of the arrow shaft to the top of the pin is about 2.5".
I've tuned this thing as best I know how...its shooting bare shafts, fletched f/p arrows, and fletched b/h arrows all in about a 2" group at 20yds - so I know that is good. Paper tunes a bullet hole with fletched shaft, and a hole (tad nock high) with bare shaft. I can't see that tuning plays an issue with the sight. ?

Attached are pics. You can see by looking at it...the slide is about 80% of the way up, and its dead on at 20yds. I have the housing in the bottom holes on the sight bracket, and its mounted in the only holes on the riser. There is about 1/4" of room left to go up with the slide.

This is what throws me for a loop. I can eek out 40yds if I bury the slide all the way up hard, but thats about it. Let me know what you think.

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
798 Posts
You might want to try raising your peep a little.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You might want to try raising your peep a little.
I know doing that will help out some, but honestly its dead on where it should be for me. Full draw w/ eyes closed, I open and its dead on.

I'm anchoring just under the corner of my mouth, with my thumb knuckle just under/behind the corner of my jaw. Shot this way for 20yrs.

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
Are you sure you are only 1/8" nock high, that and a low peep are the only things that can affect it other than low FPS out of the bow.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Hha

Unbolt that sight enclosure and raise it to the top holes...so it's in holes #1 and #3 (from the top down). That will allow your slider handle to be almost all the way at the bottom of it's travel for 20 yds. Put a new sight tape on it, sight it in again then find the corresponding tape that that fits those new numbers and install it. That should do it. I had to play with mine too when I first got it to find which holes to use that allowed for movement of the slider. I have an xl5500 and I have more than ample room to sight in 20-60+ yards if I need it. Takes awhile to see how the HHA is supposed to work. Once you get it you'll like it. If you have to adjust your peep a bit, so be it. But I doubt it.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
opposite

Unbolt that sight enclosure and raise it to the top holes...so it's in holes #1 and #3 (from the top down). That will allow your slider handle to be almost all the way at the bottom of it's travel for 20 yds. Put a new sight tape on it, sight it in again then find the corresponding tape that that fits those new numbers and install it. That should do it. I had to play with mine too when I first got it to find which holes to use that allowed for movement of the slider. I have an xl5500 and I have more than ample room to sight in 20-60+ yards if I need it. Takes awhile to see how the HHA is supposed to work. Once you get it you'll like it. If you have to adjust your peep a bit, so be it. But I doubt it.
sorry man but i think that would do just the opposite of what he is trying to achieve. he was hoping to beable to get the sight to go down lower towards the rest so he could shoot farther. i might be wrong but.

·
Registered
13,494 Posts
if i'm reading this right, you are dead on to what i found with my hha's..my bow at 51# will shoot dead on to 50yds (285fps.........

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
I had the same problem. My bow specs are pretty similar. So I got one of those little add-ons that HHA sells (http://www.hhasports.com/sights/opt_lite_pro.htm Model 50 near bottom of the page) which allowed me to drop my sight down farther. You can get it directly from HHA.

After I put it on, I moved the adjusting lever as far as it would go to the top, dropped my sight housing down as far as it would go in the new bracket and shot at 20 yds. Made my own tape. I can probably get out to 85 yds now but stopped fooling with it at 60 because it's deer season. I'll tweak the long distance settings in the spring when there's only targets to shoot at.

I had to accept that unless I wanted to move my peep up and shut down my short distance shooting, this is the best I can get out of my bow due to it's FPS. With that FPS and sight, if you adjust your peep so your sight tops out at 100+ yds, it would probably bottom out at 30 and you'd have to compensate for shorter shots.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the replies. Moving my housing up will just make things worse. I need it to be able to go lower, and its already as low as it will go.

I fiddled with it a tad today, made a minor adjustment to my peep, and I can now get about 45yds with it in the bottom holes as it was.

hunt123....tell me more about that bracket. I went to the website, hard to see how much further it would allow the housing to be mounted. From the pic, it doesn't look like very much, but I might be wrong. Do you have any pics of yours on your bow?

Thanks!
Mike

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Believe everyone your using the sight bass akwards. Hard to get the concept at first but it does work. With the slider in the position you have in the picture you should be able to shoot close to sixty yards.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
That would be the SP-50 bracket. Scroll down on this link:

http://www.hhasports.com/sights/opt_lite_pro.htm

The reason that your not getting the full adjustment out of the sight is because of your anchor. With a high anchor, the peep is closer to the nocking point. I have a low anchor, and can get from 20 to 125yds with my
Vulcan.

This a pic from before I got the SP-50 bracket. The bracket allows you to adjust the scope housing further down when the slider is bottomed out. Sorry I don't have a pic of the latest set up. My peep is even higher than most I believe.

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
hunt123....tell me more about that bracket. I went to the website, hard to see how much further it would allow the housing to be mounted. From the pic, it doesn't look like very much, but I might be wrong. Do you have any pics of yours on your bow?
Sorry, our camera situation right now isn't the best. The way the bracket works is that it has 2 mounting holes in it like the sight. You fasten the bracket with those holes into the bottom holes of your adjusting bar. Then you fasten the sight into the bracket grooves with the included screws.

You can vary the position within the grooves infinitely but you would want to drop your sight clear to the bottom. It probably gives you 1/8" more drop than without it. Not sure how many more yards that translates into. Maybe you could also raise your peep 1/4" without messing yourself up? And crank your limbs down a few more pounds?

·
Registered
9,509 Posts
You've got something wrong or out of adjustment, because your 20yd mark is like where my 60yd is:mg: your slide should be at the other end of the adjustment zone.

Would love to see a pic of you at full draw w/ an arrow nocked of course:)

·
Registered
410 Posts
If you still have problems after getting the Model SP-50 bracket for your sight, get this:

It's called the Spot Hogg Dropmount, about $25 or less from anywhere that is a delaer of spot hogg sights.

It will attach to any bow and drop the any sight down 1/2" and move the sight about 3/16" to the right (thickness of the bracket).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts