Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to either clean up or replace the screws on my HHA DS-XL5519. It's a great sight, but as most of you know the screws rust:angry:. I know how to use steel wool to remove the rust and apply solvents to increase the longevity, but I would prefer to replace them this time around.

I'm not right next to my bow, but I want to get some screws tomorrow to replace the ones on it. The questions are... What sizes and how many? Let me know those of you who have done this before.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Just call HHA they will send you a whole set. Usually it's free of charge since their customer service is unmatched. I wouldn't go too crazy trying to get the size. Just give me them a call

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. I will do that on Monday. Smart.

·
Smooth Is Fast
3,573 Posts
I've noticed a lot of the HHA sights with rusty screws. Idk why they don't put ss screws in there sights.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Just call HHA they will send you a whole set. Usually it's free of charge since their customer service is unmatched. I wouldn't go too crazy trying to get the size. Just give me them a call
There good guys at HHA,some of my customers don't like the ss screws on my sight I even had guys blackin them with a sharpie but I prefer them over coated steel screws.

·
Registered
7,281 Posts
I want to either clean up or replace the screws on my HHA DS-XL5519. It's a great sight, but as most of you know the screws rust:angry:. I know how to use steel wool to remove the rust and apply solvents to increase the longevity, but I would prefer to replace them this time around.

I'm not right next to my bow, but I want to get some screws tomorrow to replace the ones on it. The questions are... What sizes and how many? Let me know those of you who have done this before.
All you have to do is go to a good hardware store with one of your current ones. A number of our hdw stores have little sliding bins along the wall with all kinds of screws/bolts in them. I've done it several times in order to get longer ones to create a standoff for my quiver. You need to take one of your existing screws in order to match up the threading. I can't remember what it is, they aren't anything special though. I haven't had any rusting problems with the replacements, but then I don't shoot in the rain either.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I had the same problem happen to me. My screws got a litte rusty. I called hha and they said a lot of guys don't want the stainless steel screws because it's to shiny in the field and might spook the animal. It just happens to the screws i guess and They realize that which is why they are fair enough to send out a new set. Awesome company

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've heard the stainless steel will react with the aluminum sight, but I'm not so sure about that.

Anyway, there are a couple other screws that I'm going to change out, so I will go to Home Depot and take care of those today, but I'm holding off on the sight screws and waiting for HHA to send me some.

Thanks for the advice guys.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Please Help Me

I just got the hardware in the mail from HHA today and I started replacing the screws when I got home earlier this evening. One problem, and I think it's a big one. I took the pin guard off at the windage adjustment bar to replace the two screws that hold it on, but when I went to put the replacement screws on, they would not match up with the threads on the mounting bracket.

Bracket1.jpg Bracket2.jpg Housing1.jpg Housing2.jpg

Now even the original screws will not go back in and catch the threads. It's like the screws are too small, but the new ones and old ones look exactly the same. I'll probably end up calling HHA tomorrow for assistance, but I thought I'd try AT. Let me know.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts