Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting to get into archery for a while and got my chance this summer with a good rummage sale find: a 44# Darton recurve in great condition.

I've watched and read quite a bit at this point and I'm pretty sure I'm set up and doing things right, except for one big problem.. I'm using a hoyt super rest, which people say can be used with vanes. It isn't working well for me at all. I have some old wood arrows with feather fletching and they shoot perfectly. My nice new vaned arrows have a horrible wobble when shot and fail the paper tuning badly.. The tip of the arrow hits about 1.5 inches to the left of the vanes. I also lose most of the energy into the wobble and the arrows don't go nearly as far into the target. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? I'll repost in traditional archery if needed but suspect it's something basic.

bow - darton recurve, 58" 44#
arrows that shoot straight - old wood with feather fletching
arrows that don't shoot straight - gold tip 400 spine vaned carbon arrows, 100 grain tips (I can't post links yet but if you look at lancaster for "gold tip warrior arrow fletched (vanes)" you should find it)

I've tried different thicknesses of double sided tape and it doesn't help the vaned arrows at all. Placement is the same as any pictures I can find of it online. Nock height seems set right and is about where you'd expect it.

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
5,461 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Arizona.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Howdy fellow newbie,

What's your draw length?

Google "gold tip spine selection chart" (i cannot yet post links).

For a 44# recurve w/ 100gr tip, you'd need a 31" draw length per the chart, to make the 400 work well (assuming I'm reading it correctly).

Do you have a bow shop around?

I look forward to more experienced answers.

ETA: just took a look at your post in the trad forum, and saw you mentioned the length (30.5") so I doubt it's spine issues. Apologies for jumping the gun!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, reposted over there when this post was still awaiting approval.

To sum that one up, vanes can be shot from a recurve with great tuning and technique, neither of which I have. Additionally, per my local bow shop The gold tips were too light, too stiff, and the fletching was pretty tall for shooting from a recurve as well.
The heritage 90s I got from them with 125 grain tips shoot much better.

I'm still curious why the gold tip spine chart was so off. My best guess is that the back of my bow's shelf is right at centerline, and maybe modern recurves' are further back, allowing the arrow to be shot without as much to bend around?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
welcome to AT

1 - 7 of 7 Posts