Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
10,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been shopping for some new binoculars, lately.
Partly for bowhunting to keep this on topic. ;)
Man, I should have bought some last year. :(
I was thinking about getting some Leica 10-15X50 Duovids.
Could have bought some for around $1,300.00 last year.
The cheapest price I've found on them so far is $2,300.00 :eek:
I noticed the price of Swarovski EL's and Zeiss FL's has risen about $600.00 to $700.00 over last year's prices.
Has the American dollar value dropped that much in Europe ?
Or is it something else that made the price increase so much in one year ?
No wonder, so many of you guys like Vortex binoculars lately. :)
One last question, anyone know where I can get Leica binoculars for a good price ? ;)
Thanks

Sag.

·
Banned
910 Posts
Cabela has a good deal running on a couple" Docter" brand bino models. This is another established German optic brand that isnt as big as a name as Ziess/Swarovski . Looking at a bunch of glass..it seems once you get to the quality jap $3-$400 range, you really have to go euro super premium to notice a diference .

·
Banned
24,135 Posts
IMO my new Zeiss Victory FL's are worth every penny. What's more important than what you see? And it's a lifetime purchase to be passed on to your kids. I think that's a super deal.

I would not compare doctor brand to the other European high end products.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Sag,

I just ran the binocular buying gambit a couple of weeks ago. While I would have liked to have bought the Leicas, I would have needed to pay for a divorce lawyer as well once the wife found out :eek:

After spending about 2 full hours at Cabelas binocular kiosk, looking at glass from $350 - $1000, the clearest and brightest of the bunch was the Zeiss Conquest ABK 10x40. The next closest competitor was the Cabelas Alaskan Guide 10x42s which were good, but nowhere near as bright as the Zeiss.

Just for giggles I looked at the Leica Ultravid 10x42s. The difference between them and the Conquest ABKs was as prominent as that between the Zeiss and the Alaskan Giudes.

I did some price comparisons and the price Cabelas was giving for the Zeiss Conquest ABKs was about $200 cheaper than anywhere else I was able to find.

The Doctor brand optics looked nice, however Cabelas is no longer carrying that brand and they can only be found in the bargin cave (no retruns).

·
Retired GI "still serv'n"
13,960 Posts

·
Banned
910 Posts
ya...those Docter Bino's ..$450 for the 8x42's and $500 for the 10X42's , almost 1/2 price at cabelas. i f i didnt already have a pair of Nikon 10x40 atb monarchs and a pair of cabelas jap made previous generation to the alaskan guide 7x 36's i would jump on these.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
mdewitt71 said:
That link is GREAT, I have the SWFA catalogs but them are some good outlet prices :tongue: .....Thanks for sharing.
FYI
I was one credit card number away from making a purchase with SWFA when I found Vortex:eek: Not to turn this into another brand hump but I am SO glad I have money left over to travel with. I'm still waiting for the 8x56's to be available and one pair will me mine. I've looked through the Zeiss 8x56 and expect the Vortex to be at least 95%+ for my needs at 1/4 the cost.:wink:

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Moose mustard said:
these Vortex guys remind me of going to Mexico.
Que? mucho tacos feed my family now:rolleyes:

But if YOU want to blow hard earned American$$$ on euroglass SWFA can save you mucho deniero. MY eyes have seen the LIGHT:wink:

·
Banned
910 Posts
$450- $500 for the German made Docter's over the new company on the block that outsources all manufacturing to Ho Chi Min Jr. Jr. Ltd. You guys kill me , you really do.

·
13,960 Posts
I dont think buying from Germany is any better than buying from Japan......it's a shame we cant get some American made ones that dont run over $1000...........

·
Banned
910 Posts
What do you think will work better on the Vortex posse, a coupla feet of Charmin bathroom tissue or a phaser? Can't you guys go find a firearm forum someplace and pester the Leupold , Schmidt and Bender and Kahles guys for a while?

·
13,960 Posts
Moose mustard said:
What do you think will work better on the Vortex posse, a coupla feet of Charmin bathroom tissue or a phaser? Can't you guys go find a firearm forum someplace and pester the Leupold , Schmidt and Bender and Kahles guys for a while?

is someone sensitive.....don't read the Vortex posts if ya don't like em bro :wink:
I for one think any review (positive or negative) or rave is welcome, it usually just saves me $$ in the long run.

·
has been that never was
14,362 Posts
Moose mustard said:

Just curious, have you even looked through a pair of Vortex yet or do you just bash blindly?

I'll agree there seems to be plenty of fanboy posts about them but until I look through a pair I'm not going to bash them.. :nono:

·
Banned
910 Posts
i have never witnessed a bunch of chronies hangin on and pimpin theyre wares like you guys. You guys are like gum on the sole of a shoe. Anything that has to do with bino's and your on it like fly's on a fresh gut pile.

·
13,960 Posts
It was just about 7 days ago I have 7 brands of binos (all the same power) in my hands and I was VERY surprised how well the Vortexs looked and how they are made.
I don't own a pair, I am not a fanboy, and I am not saying they are the best, but I don't sell em short just cause they are made in Japan and China.

·
has been that never was
14,362 Posts
Moose mustard said:
i have never witnessed a bunch of chronies hangin on and pimpin theyre wares like you guys. You guys are like gum on the sole of a shoe. Anything that has to do with bino's and your on it like fly's on a fresh gut pile.

:nono: Wrong again.. I have Nikon Monarchs.. You still did not answer the question.. Have you looked through any Vortex binos to make the basis for your blanket observation? I'm guessing you have not.. right? :nod:

Mods, sorry for the hijack, just responding to the hijack..

1 - 20 of 52 Posts