Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to mulies, so here is my question. I've have spotted a group of bucks, that include a couple of good ones. They have been in the same general area for the last week. They are way back in the high country, and I don't believe they will receive any pressure. I can't get to them with my bow, but can get within easy gun range. So, will these deer change their pattern any from now until Sept. 15 when gun season opens?

·
DefiantShooter
10,865 Posts
If they haven't shed their velvet, maybe...They shed and they usually become a whole new animal! :wink:

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that's what I was wondering. I know the whitetails are like that, but I was hoping muleys werent.

·
aka former "treeslayer"
7,533 Posts
Just depends on their needs and weather IMO.
I watched some bucks last year that stayed above timberline after they shed their velvet. They were as high and as far up near the head of the basin as they could go.
If they do move, chances are they won't move far. Just down to the nearest tree line, but they will still come out to feed and you will be able to relocate fairly easily.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is the elevation? You said high country, they could get pushed out with an early storm. Which rifle season?
They are relatively high... We are hunting in the Wyoming range in NW Wyoming, at almost 10,000 ft. Which is about as high as you can get in that range. It is a general rifle season that opens September 15.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
It will really depend on the weather. If it stays nice, it should but you never know, they should stay on that same pattern. Velvet usually starts disappearing about that time.

·
Registered
920 Posts
When the weather gets a bit chrips they will start to shed there velvet, and start to spend more time in the timber. Also they aren't dumb. They have a calender like we do, and they know when hunting season is open, and the first crack of a rifle, there patterns will change. They will be in the area, but just more sneaky. First light, and las light. Stay up high, and use your spotting scope, and be patient.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
They are relatively high... We are hunting in the Wyoming range in NW Wyoming, at almost 10,000 ft. Which is about as high as you can get in that range. It is a general rifle season that opens September 15.
Wyoming Range I would really be surprised if they havent already been bumped multiple times since Sept 1, if some how they havent I would camp on them the 14th if not earlier and be quick on the trigger on the 15th.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts