Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that have dropped $350-$400 for a pair of boots made by either Kenetrek, Lowa, Mendiel, or Hanwag how is the durability and wear of the boots? How do they compare to a pair of danners with a Vibram sole? How long would these last wearing them 30-40 times a year? 4 years? 10 years? Do any of you wear these boots for work every day? How would they hold up for someone in landscaping that wore them 200+ days a year on pavement and grass? I know they would be more comfortable for mountain hunting I just want to make sure they would be a good value too.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have a pair of Lowa Hunters and am on 2-1/2 years, I would say I have beat the crap out of them through some very tough terrain and I am still very impressed with my
purchase and feel they are the best boots I have ever owned. I am in construction and would not wear them every day to work, no way! they are however dam good boots for mountains.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I have two pairs of Kenetrek Mountain Extremes one insulated with 400 grains of thinsulate and the other unisulated. They are the best boots I've ever owned. I was tired if buying new hunting boots every 1-2 years. I took my insulated pair sheep hunting in Alaska last year for ten days and put them through hell. IMO most other boots wouldn't have lasted but a couple days. Break-in period you need to put 30-50 miles on them before you ever hunt. You can find them on sale online a lot of times for a good price with free shipping if you shop around. About two to three weeks before a hunt I'll wear them to get use to the weight. I work in an office environment, but I'm not sure if I would wear them on a construction type job.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I have had Cabelas Perfekt hunters (made by meindl) for 4 years and use them lots. Not sure how much but probably 90 days a year. They have stood up very well and they see a lot of rough use. Best boots I have owned. I would wear them for work if I could but we need steel toe.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I have had Cabelas Perfekt hunters (made by meindl) for 4 years and use them lots. Not sure how much but probably 90 days a year. They have stood up very well and they see a lot of rough use. Best boots I have owned. I would wear them for work if I could but we need steel toe.
I have the same boots and used them for 6 hunting seasons. Elk, mule deer, pheasants, chuckars...and more. They have held up great and been the best boot i've ever had. they are just starting to lose some of their waterproof ability so i will be getting a new set for this year but wont hesitate to keep wearing these ones when its not wet.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I used to just figure $150-$200 a year into my hunting budget for boots. I usually burned through a pair of danners per year. I had also tried irish setters, wolverines, rockies etc in the same price range with similiar results. 4yrs ago i blew through a pair of irish setters and a pair of pronghorns in one year, now granted i easily had 60 days of hunting but i had spent close to $300 in boots and in 4 months they were both done.
I was pissed, unhappy, cranky etc....I had a buddy that is a hardcore back packer, He told me to look into some high quality trekking boots. I ended up with a pair of Lowa Rangers. They are headed into there fourth season this year. I hunt everything in them, Antelope, Deer, Elk, upland birds including Chukars. I think that when its all said and done i will probably semi retire them to just mountain elk and chukars starting next year as i want to try the Lowa renegades. I think they will basically make about 5-6yrs for me as a hunting boot. Thats less then $60 a year. For me that is a good deal.
I also wear mine on occasion working but i try to save them for hunting only.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I have some Meindl Alaskas series that I use hunting, scouting, and snowshoening, they still look brand new after 3 years of hard use.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I wear Lowa Tibets. Had them for 1 1/2 years. Hiking 1-4 days/week from May to Dec. Also in May started to wear them to work. I pour concrete and walk on asphault/concrete all day then hike on rocky trails on the weekends. I have never had a pair of boots last over 6-7 months. The soles usually wear out first, but concrete is very hard on leather too. The Lowas are still going strong; soles and leather are in great shape plus they dont leak at all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.