Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody else see that high fenced elk "hunt" on the Texas Trophy Hunter's show (Outdoor Channel) this week? I found it disturbing. That poor elk didn't have a chance. They chased it all over that ranch and then finally set an "ambush" for it. It was obvious, too, that the elk had been pen-raised. I'm all for hunter's rights. Shoot, I'm a hunter! But I thought a line was crossed with that one.
Anyone else see it?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm just wondering if anybody else saw it.......Just a little casual conversation.:)

·
Registered
745 Posts
AZ&F's Daddy,

You will not get a casual conversation out of this one. Take a look at some of the replies on the thread about "Uncle Ted". As I told someone else on that thread "if you did not want to see it, then change the channel". I live in the low country of SC, and I do not hunt on a high fence ranch; however, if that is what someone wants to do, and it is legal, then why do you care?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Didn't see it but don't we all set up for an ambush. Thought that was the only way to do it. The deer on my place for the most part are used to humans. While they're not behind a fence they act if they were sometimes because of their contact with humans. I'm still goin' after them.

·
Banned
3,296 Posts
Didn't see it but don't we all set up for an ambush. Thought that was the only way to do it. The deer on my place for the most part are used to humans. While they're not behind a fence they act if they were sometimes because of their contact with humans. I'm still goin' after them.
Exactly. Casual conversation my ***.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Canned hunts occur at the grocery store.
Damn I allways wondered were spam came from.:D

There is a big difference between a high fenced hunt and a "canned" hunt.Like DT said if they were chasing that critter all over he musta been pretty wild.

Reminds me of astudy I saw years ago.They put x number of deer in a 300 or 400 acre enclosure.They then let hunters have at it.It was several days of hunting before a buck was even sighted.

Miss.St biologists and a private landowner fenced in some land(600 acres) near our lease for research.The guys hunting it claimed there were no shooter bucks.They put cameras out
and showed em the bucks on film.They could'nt believe it.

CB

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yikes! I was just wondering if anyone else had actually SEEN it. Maybe I misinterpreted what I saw, and someone who HAD seen it saw it differently. I'm certainly not out to start a campaign against such hunts.

Next time I'll start a thread on which color vanes everyone uses.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
By the way, the show is on tonight, Sunday, Sept 7, at 5pm CST.

·
Registered
5 Posts
AZ&F'sDaddy said:
Anybody else see that high fenced elk "hunt"
( To chase or seek out game for the purpose of killing or capturing)
Seems simple enough to understand.

" I found it disturbing."
I find it disturbing that the legal means used by another hunter upset you so much. It's legal, it's another type of hunting, get over it.

"That poor elk didn't have a chance."
As opposed to the chance you give them with a center fire rifle instead of a big ass rock?

"They chased it all over that ranch and then finally set an "ambush" for it."
Aint that how ya hunt elk? Or do you just sneak up on em and kill em with yer bare hands?
" Shoot, I'm a hunter!"
Really? Coulda fooled me, you sound like just another anti with a cheap and deranged oppinion.

It is a legal meathod of hunting, and since you call yerself a hunter, you should support any and all legal means to the same end. A dead and eatin animal. If you dont like it, dont do it, if you bash anyone that does do it, yer a cannibal, the anti's best friend.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Of the people who have replied, shoes was the only other one who actually saw it. He, too, didn't think it was much of a hunt.

By the way, my use of the word "ambush" in the earlier post was being a bit generous.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Heck, if someone wants to kill their beef the way they did this elk, I wouldn't care. The way this episode was, they could have just as well been "hunting" a cow (beef). But, I would find it kinda boring, as I did this episode.
No, I am not going to stop watching TTH. No, I am not an anti-hunter. Yes, I would support this guy's right to kill elk this way.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I will try to catch the show tonight to see it. However, it goes back to my original post
if you did not want to see it, then change the channel
, I am sure that you get more then one channel on your TV. You must not have disliked it to much to set there and watch it on TV!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5 Posts
AZ&F'sDaddy said:
Heck, if someone wants to kill their beef the way they did this elk, I wouldn't care. The way this episode was, they could have just as well been "hunting" a cow (beef). But, I would find it kinda boring, as I did this episode.
No, I am not going to stop watching TTH. No, I am not an anti-hunter. Yes, I would support this guy's right to kill elk this way.
Of the three elk i killed while stationed in colorado, the first one took me 15 minutes into opening morning
the second took 2 hours
the third took less than an hour. Alll on public national forest land. It was as a matter of fact easier than killin beef. But, it was legal, and it was damn sure fun. you wanta foul mouth other peoples was of huntin, yer gona hear about it. If you dont like it, dont do it. easy enough to figure out.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
AZ&F'sDaddy said:
Anybody else see that high fenced elk "hunt" on the Texas Trophy Hunter's show (Outdoor Channel) this week? I found it disturbing. That poor elk didn't have a chance. They chased it all over that ranch and then finally set an "ambush" for it. It was obvious, too, that the elk had been pen-raised. I'm all for hunter's rights. Shoot, I'm a hunter! But I thought a line was crossed with that one.
Anyone else see it?
I've seen the show in both the first run and this week as a re-run.

I am also familiar with the ranch, I have not been able to hunt it but have been in the area several times. The ranch in question encompasses several square miles, and I can assure you that the hunter did not chase the elk all over the ranch. There are more draws and canyons than you can shake a stick at. Even an animal the size of an elk can disappear in that country as effectively as one can out west.

I question your contention that you are a hunter, after you make statements that are so obliviously intended to incite descent among others.

If you are indeed a HUNTER you would recognize that we must stand together to protect the rights of all legal hunters whether we agree with their chosen methods or not.

·
Banned
3,296 Posts
CAJUNBOWHNTR said:
Damn I allways wondered were spam came from.:D

There is a big difference between a high fenced hunt and a "canned" hunt.Like DT said if they were chasing that critter all over he musta been pretty wild.

Reminds me of astudy I saw years ago.They put x number of deer in a 300 or 400 acre enclosure.They then let hunters have at it.It was several days of hunting before a buck was even sighted.

Miss.St biologists and a private landowner fenced in some land(600 acres) near our lease for research.The guys hunting it claimed there were no shooter bucks.They put cameras out
and showed em the bucks on film.They could'nt believe it.

CB
Exactly! Some folks would be amazed at how difficult it often is to see, much less kill, a whitetail on some of these smaller acreages.

·
Banned
3,296 Posts
AZ&F'sDaddy said:
Yikes! I was just wondering if anyone else had actually SEEN it. Maybe I misinterpreted what I saw, and someone who HAD seen it saw it differently.
Ok, I just saw it. Here's what I saw. A story about a man who had a dream. A dream to have a great hunting ranch in West Texas. The man recently died of a malignant skin cancer at the young age of 50 and he left behind a mourning widow and friends. In his honor, there were hunters enjoying the ranch he created and having a big time as he would have wanted. I saw nothing wrong with it at all. I'm sure fences existed, but in West Texas, no tellin how far they stretched. There was NOTHING in the program that suggested that these were not wild animals being hunted fairly. PERIOD.

I'm certainly not out to start a campaign against such hunts.

Good.

Next time I'll start a thread on which color vanes everyone uses. [/B][/QUOTE]

LOL! 2 white and one red here.

·
Banned
3,296 Posts
AZ&F'sDaddy said:
What I hear you saying is that if someone wants to kill their ELK this way, you also wouldn't care. Is that correct? If so, why cannibalize others by saying it was unfair. If it's not for you, just don't participate.

Why does this seem so hard to do for some of you?

·
Banned
3,296 Posts
reaper6 said:
Of the three elk i killed while stationed in colorado, the first one took me 15 minutes into opening morning
the second took 2 hours
the third took less than an hour. Alll on public national forest land. It was as a matter of fact easier than killin beef. But, it was legal, and it was damn sure fun. you wanta foul mouth other peoples was of huntin, yer gona hear about it. If you dont like it, dont do it. easy enough to figure out.
Thank you!

1 - 20 of 106 Posts