Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your thoughts on hunting a high fenced ranch ?
I would appreciate everyones input.
Thanks

·
Registered
80 Posts
i've always thought that hunting deer in a penned area would not be a challenge or ethical, however; i've never done it so i have nothing to base an opinion off of.

·
save the decoys!!!!!!!!!!
7,033 Posts
i dont care how anyone else hunts. i dont hunt high fence, might someday, might not.
dont look down on those that do at all. its all good.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Love hi fences...

That's all I will hunt. Love hi fences. Don't like wide open spaces. Hunting open country is not for me. But, I don't look down on those that choose to do so. Who knows...I might even try it someday.

orlybow:)

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
What is your thoughts on hunting a high fenced ranch ?
I would appreciate everyones input.
Thanks
While admitting I have NO experience or detailed knowledge of shooting penned in animals, the concept seems really unappealing to me.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think there is a big difference between a 150 acre enclosure and a 3,000 acre enclosure.

It doesn't effect me one way or another. People try to stamp it as ethical or not. I don't think it's unethical it's a different way of getting meat. If the person pulling the trigger or releasing the arrow they still need to make an attempt at an ethical shot. I do not consider it hunting like what most of us do under fair chase conditions. I consider the animals in that situation more as livestock. If someone owned a beef cow fed it every day and then went out one day and shot it butchered it is that a problem? The person who chases animals behind a tall fence whether for deer, elk or whatever exotic species wants to put a mount on the wall and shoot something that he or she most likely wouldn't be able to shoot in the wild. That is what the animal is there for. It's not like the alternative for that animal would be released in the wild. So as long as it's not on the same footing with hunting if that is what someone wants to do and they have the money and it's legal then let them. But they better not try to pass it off as fair chase..... it is what it is.

What about shooting birds at a shooting preserve? With the decline in wild quail and pheasant being in limited states would you consider hunting pheasant, chuckar or quail at a shooting preserve?

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
I will not do it, but I guess if other people do it that is there business.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I don't mind it when hunting game I would otherwise never be able to hunt. Or in between seasons for free range.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Like was said before, there's a huge difference between "pens" and "ranches." I don't think anyone would want to chase a deer around in a 2 acre pen until they can shoot it, but once the enclosure is 500 or 1000 acres, there is really no difference between fenced deer and wild deer. Here in Texas, most fenced ranches are at least 1000 acres, and it serves to create a controlled environment for the deer. You can safely pass young bucks without worry of them leaving, and you can cull inferior deer without worrying about another coming in from the outside. High fence hunting is not for everyone, but just like wearing camo and using calls/scents, it's just another type of hunting. Don't base your opinion of it on what you hear.

·
Registered
8,134 Posts
just like wearing camo and using calls/scents, it's just another type of hunting. Don't base your opinion of it on what you hear.
You hit the nail on the head.

There'll be some hunting bashers on this thread...they always show up. It's not that they don't know better or haven't been educated about the difference between HF and "pens", it's just that they're content looking rediculously stupid.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
What about shooting birds at a shooting preserve? With the decline in wild quail and pheasant being in limited states would you consider hunting pheasant, chuckar or quail at a shooting preserve?
Not a big supporter of HF hunting, but I think there is a big difference comparing shooting birds at a preserve. Used to work at a preserve, and there is zero challenge(unless maybe you're breaking out the bow). Planted birds act very, very different from wild birds. I think HF big game is probably much more of a challenge.

·
Vendor
84,694 Posts
I Love all types of hunting.

·
Registered
593 Posts
That's all I will hunt. Love hi fences. Don't like wide open spaces. Hunting open country is not for me. But, I don't look down on those that choose to do so. Who knows...I might even try it someday.

orlybow:)
What type of wide open space's are you talking about? I'm guessing your referring to hunting Elk, and what makes you think wide open country isn't for you, the chance you might not get an animal nearly every time, or the physical work? Not bashing at all, just wondering why you feel this way, and does hunting high fences not get expensive for you? Just saying, because you say you might try open country hunting someday, does that mean you pay to hunt high fences all season long?

I think there is a big difference between a 150 acre enclosure and a 3,000 acre enclosure.
I feel the same way.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I operate a high fence enclosure we dont do whitetails but do elk and other exotics. It is 140 acres and I can tell you the exotics can make for a challenging bowhunt they dont just let you walk up and pet them most of the time if the see a vehicle or human at any point they start hauling butt. I have had them stay still one time and I was spraying for weeds in the tractor and it took about 10 passes before they figured out what was going on. I also operate a low fence enclosure for hogs and rams that is 180 acres and even with it being enclosed will not garuantee you an animal. There are several members here that have hunted with me and I am sure not all are happy but the vast majority are. I think that as long as its legal we shouldnt bash each other as that will be the demise of our sport one day.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I operate a high fence enclosure we dont do whitetails but do elk and other exotics. It is 140 acres and I can tell you the exotics can make for a challenging bowhunt they dont just let you walk up and pet them most of the time if the see a vehicle or human at any point they start hauling butt. I have had them stay still one time and I was spraying for weeds in the tractor and it took about 10 passes before they figured out what was going on. I also operate a low fence enclosure for hogs and rams that is 180 acres and even with it being enclosed will not garuantee you an animal. There are several members here that have hunted with me and I am sure not all are happy but the vast majority are. I think that as long as its legal we shouldnt bash each other as that will be the demise of our sport one day.
For the record, if it's legal I'm cool with it. I'm not bashing, just don't agree with a couple of your points.

For starters:
1. 99% success rate, what wild animal hunt can boast that? Sounds like damn near a guarantee to me.
2. Most of the time they run when a human walks up to them? Sounds more like spooky livestock. Most of the time horses will run if they sense something out of the ordinary.
3. 140 acres is what 800yds x 800yds. Kind of a small chunk.

As far as the demise of our sport:
1. Exotic animals are not regulated by state agencies, so no license, no revenue to go back into managing. Do these hunters contribute to this sport?
2. While no doubt challenging, public perception is that you are shooting an animal that is non-native to the region in a pen. i.e. if you shoot a zebra, in Oklahoma I believe it changes the perception of hunters in the public eye
3. Reduces animals to a "price tag" (what can I afford to shoot today?)

Bottom line, if you have fun doing it, then do it. But I don't believe that debates over ethics, or hunting styles will ruin our sport. I think discussion is healthy, and makes everyone think.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts