Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping to see if anyone has any input on very high FOC arrows. I recently switched from Beaman ICS Hunter Pros to Black Eagle Rampages with the stainless Bone Crusher half-outs and a 125grain head. I originally planning on switching to 100 grain heads with the new arrows but I’ve noticed a decent uptick in my accuracy and penetration with the black eagles. If I remember right my old arrows had a total weight of something like 425 grains and an FOC of around 13-14%. The new ones come in at 456 grains and have an FOC of just over 19%. I know the Rampages are a smaller diameter arrow and that probably has something to do with the extra penetration as well as the extra 30 grains in arrow weight but my groups have also shrunk with the new arrows. Now, all of this could be in my head and I could just be having a couple of good weeks of shooting but it really does seem that my shots are more consistent with the very high FOC arrows, even when shooting side by side with my Beamans. Has anyone else had any experience with something like this?

·
Banned
181 Posts
You have way too many variables changing to attribute it to one thing. You changed arrows, diameter, weight, foc and who knows what else? With a 75# bow, 425g arrows were probably on the light side. Maybe not, but I've always shot better with a heavier arrow (over 450g). Are you shooting BHs or FPs? Sounds like you have a good arrow, no matter what the reason.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Dr Ed Ashbury did years of observation and reached the conclusion that higher FOC does yield better arrow consistency and better penetration. Frankly, given the widespread acceptance of his research, I'm surprised that 100 grain heads are still as prolific as they are.

I shortened my arrows and added 25 grains to my point to increase FOC and maintain spine. The only problem I now face is that 125 grain broadheads aren't quite as easy to buy and aren't nearly as easy to trade.

For tougher game, I'll even go to an arrow even shorter and stiffer with 250 grains of steel out front.

·
Banned
181 Posts
Frankly, given the widespread acceptance of his research, I'm surprised that 100 grain heads are still as prolific as they are.
Because people don't get excited about accuracy and penetration, they get excited about the almighty FEET PER SECOND. All jokes aside, it doesn't really matter for most guys (well, as I wrote that I was reminded of all the "no penetration" threads on archery talk...). In my experience, a modern bow and a light arrow is perfectly fine on a whitetail in reasonable ranges that we tend to experience. But there's no doubt that a heavy, high FOC arrow is the way to go on bigger game and longer distances.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jebus, I have shot mostly field tips with the Black Eagles except for a half dozen shots to see where my broadheads were shooting vs my field tips. Professor Xring, do you have a link to the research he's done or something along those lines? Curious what his methods and equipment was and what he determined was the best FOC range.

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
I'm getting good results at 24 % foc

·
Registered
8,837 Posts
raising your FOC essentially softens the dynamic spine of your arrows, as long as they still group and tune decently the higher FOC will make a better arrow. it is possible, to raise the FOC high enough to create too soft an arrow for your set up, with all the availability of adding weight to arrows, these days. this will show, when you are not able to establish good groups. at this point, regardless of what the FOC is, the added tip weight is making the arrow react too violently to being shot and the arrows are coming out of the bow inconsistently.
it is impossible to assign a specific FOC value to the point at which it is making your arrows too soft, because of all the variables involved, so group tuning will tell the tale. as long as your arrows group well, your FOC is not too high.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome, thanks for the info everyone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts