Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some advice. This topic has probably been talked about religiously and I don't want to beat the dead horse, but I'm struggling to find a concrete answer. Here are the specs for my bow and arrows:

Bow Specs:

- Mathews Triax
- Drawlength: 28"
- Draw weight: 61.8 lb (max)

Arrow Specs:

- Length: 26.75'
- Insert Weight: 110 grains
- Outsert Weight: 70 grains
- Broad Head Weight: 100 grains
- 3 Fletch Blazers: 18 grains
- Wrap Weight: 5 grains
- Lighted Nock Weight: 20 grains

Depending on the arrow I choose the shoot, I'll be right around 550 grains.

My question is, with such a short arrow and low poundage, will I be okay shooting a lower spined arrow? Like a 350 spined arrow. Or should I bump up to a 300 spine or higher?

This is my first time building a high FOC arrow so any advise is welcome.

Thanks in advanced!

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
You need someone to put it in a calculator. I dont think theres any charts out there that take into account for a 180 grain insert

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
I shoot 26 inch draw on my Realmx and Invasion. 60lb limbs on both bows. Both maxed out. 26 5/8 carbon to carbon Axis 340 with 50 grain brass hit, 5 grain bar adapter, 200 grain heads. 255 total grains up front. 3 blazers and small reflective wrap between the fletching and nock, 5 grains. With nocturnals they are 555 grains. Standard x nocks 541 grains. They bareshaft tune, shoot fletched, and shoot broadheads out to 80 yards better then any set up I have ever run.

My advice is build a couple and see how the shoot bareshafts and broadheads. Being ur draw is 28 you might need a 300 spine. It’s gunna be close with that much weight up front.

Now when I had my Triax I had 70lb limbs, and I fitted it with a set of monster limbs. Shot it anywhere from 85-88 lbs. It would tune great with the same arrows but only running up to 125 grain heads. With 100 grains I could shoot 90-94 lbs but it was to light of an arrow for me, 440 grain total. Like I said I buy a couple of each arrows and build em how ya want. See what spine if likes better.

·
Registered
28 Posts
How high of an FOC are you looking to get? Seems like a whole lot out in the front.... I'm also 28" draw and 26.75" shaft length (wish I had got a shade longer) with 65 pound draw out of my ChillR. I'm set up at about 445 grains total arrow weight with a 13.3 % FOC. I've got the GT Hunter Pro 340 arrows, nockturnal, blazers, acculite insert, and 100 gr broadhead (or field point). I was at 9.7 % FOC, and wanted to up it. So I added a 50 grain GT screw in insert weight to get to the 13.3 % FOC. Where am I going with this? Well I was in at the local shop and one of the pros advised that with the weight in and my shorter arrow length, I was very close to being underspined, or might be under spined. So given the set up you're proposing and what I learned in the pro shop - sounds like you will be under spined if you don't go 300. Might even need more.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
How high of an FOC are you looking to get? Seems like a whole lot out in the front.... I'm also 28" draw and 26.75" shaft length (wish I had got a shade longer) with 65 pound draw out of my ChillR. I'm set up at about 445 grains total arrow weight with a 13.3 % FOC. I've got the GT Hunter Pro 340 arrows, nockturnal, blazers, acculite insert, and 100 gr broadhead (or field point). I was at 9.7 % FOC, and wanted to up it. So I added a 50 grain GT screw in insert weight to get to the 13.3 % FOC. Where am I going with this? Well I was in at the local shop and one of the pros advised that with the weight in and my shorter arrow length, I was very close to being underspined, or might be under spined. So given the set up you're proposing and what I learned in the pro shop - sounds like you will be under spined if you don't go 300. Might even need more.
He won’t need more then 300 with a traix and his length. Like I stayed I ran one up to 94 lbs using 340 axis cut to 26 and 5/8 with 50 brass hit a 100 grain head. Showed weak spine with 50 grain hit and 125 grain heads. That’s 33-35lb more draw weight then the op. Granted but my draw length was 2 inches shorter but the arrow is cut to almost the exact same specs with the same weight up front. I think he’s gunna be fine with a 340 from personal experience and that cam system tends to like shafts on the weaker side.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Here’s the 2 options on Easton Axis. I was curious as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why are all the specs off? I’m never used that program. Ibo is 343, let off is 85 percent, and total grains up front is 280. Plus the axle to axle is 28 inches. Just wondering, maybe that’s how that program works?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Why are all the specs off? I’m never used that program. Ibo is 343, let off is 85 percent, and total grains up front is 280. Plus the axle to axle is 28 inches. Just wondering, maybe that’s how that program works?
I have no idea. Need to go back and save it differently. Something is off for sure. Thanks.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys! I'm trying something new instead of just using the from factory parts that come with arrows when you buy them. Will it work out? I'm not sure, but it looks like I'll find out. I'm more worried about being underspined and having an arrow blow up in my hand. With that being said I'm probably going to up to 300 spine arrows just to error on the side of caution. The arrows I have right now are Victory VAP Elites in 350 spine, which I chose because they have a lower gpi (7.8 gpi) to allow me to keep my arrow weight somewhat under control. Any more feedback is welcome!

·
She's baaaaack!!!!
20,540 Posts
I'd use a 150 grain head and skip the outsert.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm using a micro diameter arrow, so I think I'd have to use an outsert system, correct? I went with Ethic Archery's outsert system.

**Slight correction on the outsert specs: 62 grain outsert with 102 grain insert, making that a 170 grain outsert system.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to calc it all out for me! @black feather
No problem. I prefer slightly stiffer than “ideal”. Seems like the yellow-orange zone produces the best results for me with fixed heads. I’d def stay around 300 or stiffer no matter what shaft you choose if you’re wanting to really load up the front.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ah, okay. Theoretically speaking, what are some concerns that I might run into if I would've stuck with a 350 grain shaft and cut down to 26" in length with the same front end weight? Would it mainly be tuning issues or would I start running into issues with the arrow flexing on the shot and potentially breaking in half?

·
Registered
11,380 Posts
Ah, okay. Theoretically speaking, what are some concerns that I might run into if I would've stuck with a 350 grain shaft and cut down to 26" in length with the same front end weight? Would it mainly be tuning issues or would I start running into issues with the arrow flexing on the shot and potentially breaking in half?
More so tuning issues if anything. It won't pose a safety risk.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Agree w above. Just tuning issues. Mainly with fixed heads. You can shoot a surprisingly “underspined” arrow out of a bow without issues to the shaft. Main issue there is shooting too light of an arrow for the bows poundage might hurt the bow.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
i would definitely go with 300 spine. i was shooting a similar setup last year and couldnt get 340's to shoot well with high foc.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts