Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Isaiah 6:8
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm sure this has been covered before, if so feel free to drop a link to the thread.

i'm shooting an elite ritual 35 with letoff ranging from 70-90%. i like the idea of high let off for hunting situations but what are the benefits of a lower let off for general shooting? i know it's personal preference, so i guess i'm asking individuals what they shoot and why? the high let off for me feels like it makes the bow heavier since you don't have to pull into the back wall as much, if i pull more into the wall it makes my pin float slow down. so that is a give and take relationship there. i have been shooting 3d lately and want to focus on that for now, but my primary intentions as an archer is hunting. for prolonged periods of holding at full draw i like the high let off. i know i can switch back and forth but just curious what you guys do and why

·
Shootin and Cussin
24,139 Posts
Lower letoffs will give you a bit more control of your shot because it forces you to stay locked in to your form. Most target shooters shoot with lower letoff.

When hunting you will tend to see higher letoffs because of concept of having to hold longer on, say, a moving target or the target stopping behind a tree, rock or bush, etc.

I really don't care what Dudley said on a podcast.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
Another possible benefit to low let off is if you have to let down and your shoulders are "less than stellar," there isn't such a big jump from holding weight in the valley and whatever weight your bow has at the roll over point.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another possible benefit to low let off is if you have to let down and your shoulders are "less than stellar," there isn't such a big jump from holding weight in the valley and whatever weight your bow has at the roll over point.
great point. i am shooting 90% let off right now and if i let down it yanks pretty hard

·
Registered
46 Posts
The other benefit to low let off is that any facial pressure on the sting wont affect your string as much as it would on high let of since there is more tension on the sting.

·
Registered
193 Posts
For me, the hardest part of drawing the bowstring back smoothly is getting through the transition from high weight to low weight. If I can pull a bowstring back easily on a 70 lb bow, having let off greater than 65% creates as many problems as it solves to my mind. Yes, it is an advantage to be able to hold at full draw for greater length of time, especially in a hunting situation. But how often does that happen, and if it happens in a hunting situation, your arm is going to be fresh anyway because you haven't already sent dozens of arrows down range. In a target situation, it can create target panic and trying to create too perfect of a sight picture because there isn't a cost to holding the string at full draw for greater lengths of time. Just some thoughts I am having on the subject. I use 65% let off because I am using old technology, but I don't feel handicapped by doing it.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
messed around with it yesterday, kept it on 90% letoff but just consistenly pulled more into the backwall as if it had lower let off and was shooting better, i liked doing it that way so i have the option of utilizing the higher let off if need be

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
great point. i am shooting 90% let off right now and if i let down it yanks pretty hard
This is why I hate let off over 80. My elite synergy was terrible to let down

·
Registered
20,672 Posts
I shoot low letoff on my target bows and have tuned my hunting bow down a little bit so the holding weight is higher than factory spec too. My target bows hold around 20lbs by the time I pull into the wall, which is about 65% letoff. This reduces the effects of minor shooter inconsistencies, like face pressure or grip torque, on the shot. High letoff puts very little holding weight on the string so it's very easy to accidentally push it off line accidentally. That's why you'll never see a finger bow with high letoff and you won't see hardly any pro archers shooting more than 75% letoff.

In a hunting bow everyone thinks that high letoff will be easier to hold but in reality, when the adrenaline is going, you're probably pulling into the wall with 20lbs of pressure anyway so whether you're minimum holding weight is 12lbs or 18lbs, it won't really matter. I know which one will be easier to let down though and which one might save you some forgiveness on a tough shot.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I hate letting down 90 let off bows. Having to drop pressure to 4lbs just to have to catch 70 before it rips your arm. Sucks doing that up in a tree on a lonewolf.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts