Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently in the market to buy 2-3 dozen shafts for this upcoming fall. I wanted to get some opinions from those who have possibly tried the shafts I am considering, or who might have a better idea.

For the last 3 seasons I have ran the Easton Deep Six injections in a 330 spine at 29 carbon to carbon shaft, with 100 grain heads. My issue with these arrows is that they weigh 10.3 GPI, resulting in a finished weight of 445, or nearly 460 grains with a lighted nock. They fly well, but I have a feeling that I am on the light side of the spine chart with my setup for this fall, and I would like to get an arrow that will allow me to fly more weight up from with a slightly lighter shaft to get better FOC as well as have a lighter overall arrow. I am not elk hunting this year, so I want to have a flatter trajectory for Utah mule deer in august.

My setup is a 335 fps ibo bow with a 30.75 inch draw at 71 pounds.

Just to note, I am looking for the absolute tightest tolerances on arrows. The arrows that I am considering right now are the Gold Tip Kinetic Pierce Tour 300's, and the Black Eagle x-impact 300s ( favoring at the moment)

I would really like to stay with a small diameter shaft, but are these the only two that have a good insert/outsert system with pro-grade tolerances that will let me get my total arrow weight around 410-415 grains?

·
Aim Small, Miss Small
608 Posts
Have you looked into the Bloodsport Evidence? Same tight tolerances with an outsert system that sandwiches the front end of arrow, insert inside and outsert protecting the end of the shaft. Very tough!

·
Registered
638 Posts
One more to think about. Victory vaps. Micro diameter and can get tolerances of .001. I think the 300 spine is 8.8 gpi if I remember correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
Reckoning 35 for 3D, RealmX for hunt, PSE SupraFocusXL for spot . Axcel, ARC release, Victory.
2,082 Posts
Victory VAP and Black Eagle X-Impact and U get good FOC +15 in that weight for 300 spine arrow.
I U'r willing to go on .204 ID arrow then U have lot more choose and even greater FOC's to get.

·
Registered
393 Posts
If you like Easton, Axis 5mm. A bit heavy. I’ve had luck with them. I’m using Carbon Express Max Blue this year. Lighter faster. Hoping for good results. Good Luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
I am loving the Easton Hexx shafts with brass inserts!

NC

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,032 Posts
Your GT Pierces are as good as any.....go with them. I shot the FMJ Deep Six and switched, and IMO, GT is far superior.

·
Premium Member
Reckoning 35 for 3D, RealmX for hunt, PSE SupraFocusXL for spot . Axcel, ARC release, Victory.
2,082 Posts
Your GT Pierces are as good as any.....go with them. I shot the FMJ Deep Six and switched, and IMO, GT is far superior.
Haven't seen much difference in GT Pierce and Victory VAP. Both are good arrows.
Only that VAP is lighter from gpi and allows more FOC at same weight arrow.
But other hand haven't seen much difference at grouping larger than 13 FOC and that's reachable with Pierce.
Don't know penetration wise but actually with original question it will be enough anyway with those spec's if arrow flies correctly.
I use high FOC for just to ad weight in my arrow. 11-14 is enough I think.. but if it goes over, it doesn't matter.

One good video for watch when U' think FOC etc...

And there's lot of good other videos at arrow making in "GoldTip Arrow University"-series at youtube.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts