Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Initially limiting this to my Scorpyd DS Crossbow. I am sure other folks would like to see their crossbows shot at high speed, which is fine. However, my time is somewhat limited, but I am sure in the future it could be possible.

I already reached out to Ten Point and they declined. Now granted I spoke with a single salesman who told me that he thinks their engineering department already has a high speed camera, so I will not pursue this avenue. Maybe the guy who works for TenPoint on ArcheryTalk can speak to this subject, and verify that they do have a high speed video camera. Cool.

I have 6 high speed videos under my belt with the Scorpyd DS crossbow and tapp-nation's single and double tapp arrows.

Now, I think I have the correct frame perspective, resolution, frame shutter speed, iris setting figured out, I can move forward with further testing.

The last video really opened my eyes in regards to capturing the arrow's flight. Keep in mind, the camera's field of focus is very narrow. Around 12" depth of field depending on the distance from the camera to the subject.

As a review, the field of focus is defined as the distance between the near-focus and the far-focus. Our eyes are truly amazing in that we automagically focus on near objects equally as well as far objects. The exception being folks, myself included, who know have progressive lens. However, even with corrective lens, depending on how I tilt my head, I can see close objects with some clarity as well as far objects.

If we are looking at 12" depth of field, that means if the arrow is 10 feet away from the camera the depth of field is

Near focus = 9 feet 6 inches

Far focus = 10 fee 6 inches.

SHAZAAM!! I tried to explain this on one of the videos. I think the one where I had the cardboard hanging on a string and dolly. So if you understand my explanation, then you will understand the difficulty in capturing an object that is traveling at 259mph or 367 fps! LOL

A limitation of the high speed video camera. A limitation we shall work around!

So, to capture the arrow's flight NOT just as it leaves the crossbow, but say 6' downrange, 12' downrange, 10 yards downrange, this REQUIRES multiple setups and video shots.

Ok, so now let's talk about the lens on my video camera. I actually have (2) two lenses.

1. 50mm = currently my optimum lens for doing close-up work.

2. 70-135mm = since this is a variable zoom, I use this lens when I am further away from the subject...on my bullet tests, I have been as far as 40 yards away.

Both of these lenses are completely MANUAL. We take for granted, myself included, how amazing our smartphones and video cameras can automatically adjust for available light, shutter speed, focus. All we have to do is press on the REC button!

So, as I was climbing this learning curve in regards to high speed video, crossbows, and their arrows, I am hoping that I have found the right blend of light, shutter speed, focus, and resolution [frame width to height ratio].

My goals in the future:

1. I will be conducting more tests with the arrow leaving the crossbow, specifically the double-tapp arrow; bare shaft and fletched.

2. I really want to calculate the "spin" or RPM of a fletched arrow, for now I think the vanes are 1.5 deg. right offset.

3. I just thought of this one, use a fixed blade broadhead, and observe the flight characteristics:

a. broadhead that is perfectly concentric to the shaft/insert
b. broadhead that is not perfectly concentric to the shaft/insert, this should reveal any yawing that may be occurring in flight.

4. My 8 year old son Jacob has 2 crossbows now! I got him a simple recurve for Christmas, plus I am sure he will be inheriting my Barnett Recruit Terrain, I will probably film these crossbows in high speed. Curious to see how much the recurve limbs move in high speed.

5. Broadheads both fixed and mechanical blade impacting on ballistic gel and other mediums. My guy in Texas is sending me a boar's shield sometime, so I hope to do a test with the shield as well. AND, hoping that I will be going on my annual Texas Hog Hunt, and yes, the Scorpyd DS will be along for the adventure...with a slight twist, it will have a Thermal Scope as its optic!

Now all of this is under the assumption that I will have the video camera at my disposal for awhile! However, I do need to shoot more high speed video of bullets terminating on various objects..I know that for a fact!

Anyways, this thread is titled "High Speed Video Suggestions".....so I am open to suggestions on what y'all would like to see....we can have a civil, open table discussion...LOL.

·
"GO BUCKS!!!"
6,595 Posts
Boy, I can see alot of new bows in the stable Wally!

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Would be interesting to see some high speed of crossbow mechanicals at launch versus the same broadhead in regular version at launch out of speed bows.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Different vane rotations per a given distance. ie compare AV2's or NAP quick spins fletched straight. Another vane of same height 1.5" offset rt. Same vane helical. Let's see how these really play out.
Seeing a arrow launched from a Acculess 180 and, comparing it to the DS. Same slo-motion settings of course.lol

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Different vane rotations per a given distance. ie compare AV2's or NAP quick spins fletched straight. Another vane of same height 1.5" offset rt. Same vane helical. Let's see how these really play out.
Seeing a arrow launched from a Acculess 180 and, comparing it to the DS. Same slo-motion settings of course.lol
Added to the list.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I also would think it would be interesting to see a mechanical with one blade open or a very out of balance arrow, maybe the head crooked or bent or one fletch missing. I know they won't hit POA but is it because they 'spin out' or just plane out...

How about shooting through screen mesh like a blind window? Lot of people ask if it can be done with mechanicals so maybe that and worst case, field points.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
i know what happens when they open in flight been there done that they take a big nose dive just wondering when in flight they are opening
Or they fly way high or to the right or left. Mine went high when I tried one. If you do shoot one on purpose Nito make certain you have a good backstop.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Or they fly way high or to the right or left. Mine went high when I tried one. If you do shoot one on purpose Nito make certain you have a good backstop.
Indeed! That and I really don't want to shoot the $$$ camera $$$ :mg::mg:

It will be a couple of weeks....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts