Archery Talk Forum banner

High tech camo:Myth or Marvel?

1879 Views 36 Replies 30 Participants Last post by  davejohnson2
Ok,This should garner some opinions.For years deer were taken without all this high tech camo clothing.a simple plaid pattern on red or green.Is this a great marketing ploy or really an advancement in hunting?Is it more to stroke the modern hunter's ego ,given the deer's visual capabilities where blaze orange looks gold to them.i know ,beak up the outline,blend in with the surroundings etc.The new prints would be great if we were hunting or being hunted by people,but Deer?
*What do you think?
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
6,685 Posts
I hunted under some heavy pressured terrain sometimes.
Half the reason I wear camo is, indeed, to hide from anyONE.

I wear ASAT and I strongly believe I've had more opportunities at game because of it though. I know for certain I've seen more game and have been busted much less than I did before I wore it.

· Registered
802 Posts
IMO the only actual "camo" on the market now is ASAT or predator, your probably better of using a referee's black and white stripped shirt than the newest realtree. I'm guilty of buying all these new patterns, but will try and get away from the habit.:embara:

· Registered
24 Posts
I've been using the Ultimate camo and haven't been busted yet with it, even in open trees. It works great for areas with Oaks and trees that blend with the pattern. You can check them out at ultimatecamo.com

Their stuff is all non insulated so you need to layer depending on weather but I ditched my Realtree for it and haven't looked back.

· Registered
5,106 Posts
I have seen and shot more deer since I started wearing Predator and now the ASAT leafy suit than before. I am a believer in these 2 camos. My opinion.
+1

I believe the major camo dealers patterns are designed to fool hunters, not prey.
Dan

· Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ttt

i agree. Has anyone tried to make their own camo?

· Banned
3,149 Posts
Is the optifade available yet?

· Addicted Elkhunter
2,316 Posts

· Fat Jesus
29,133 Posts
Well the 2 I've had the best luck with in recent years is MossyOak Brush & the new MossyOak Treestand. I know BRUSH was intended for western hunting but I've had great luck with it treestand hunting, you dont realize how well it blends with a tree trunk until you try it. The new Treestand pattern is awesome, I've moved on purpose this year with deer within 20yds, they see the movement and look but they just dismiss it and go on....I'm yet to spook one with either of these patterns so far from movement.

· Registered
806 Posts
i agree. Has anyone tried to make their own camo?
When I first started bow hunting 40 years ago in Michigan, there was no camo available other than army surplus stuff. It was all what was referred to as "World War II" camouflage. It was very similar to the modern "woodland" camo. It was what I refer to as "blob camo". In other words, 20 yards away it looks like a dark blob. Most of today's designer camo is blob camo. It turns into a solid color from a short distance. Mossy Oak Breakup is the worse I have seen for this because it is just too dark. Realtree AP and Hardwoods HD are blob camo also. The only ones that are not blob are Predator and ASAT, and to a lesser extent, Skyline. Most of today's camo, with the exception of the 3, are designed to sell, not to hide you. Way back when we wore a set of tan coveralls and tie dyed them with splotches, or we painstakingly used a permanent marker and drew large patches of color on them. We hunted on the ground exclusively back then and always shot deer. If you sit motionless in a blind or a treestand I don't think camo makes much difference, other than to build confidence in your ability to become invisible to deer. Make a wrong move and they WILL see you.

· Archers Helping Archers
2,094 Posts
My first time using ASAT camouflage was last September for a archery elk hunt up in the north west corner of Colorado, near Hayden and Steamboat Springs area. It was amazing how many elk walked by me. I was very impressed!

There where times when I couldn’t find my dad after just seeing him about a min ago at 80 yards, vice versa, and we were both wearing ASAT. Personally I think it’s good stuff.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.