Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Little question about shooting form. I shoot with a high wrist on my bow hand. I have done so for quite some time and find it very comfortable. I recently read an article by Randy Ulmer and he stated that a low wrist grip would tend to be more steady. Anatomically speaking it makes sense, as you don't have to worry about all the bones in your wrist and hand being in line, just the base of your palm. My question is, how do you shoot, and which is the better way to hold? Is one more consistant that the other as long as your grip is the same every time?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Low Wrist

I've changed to shooting low wrist after reading one of Bernie's books. It helped me in 2 ways:
1. Easier and more naturally consistant
2. Helpes me eliniate a left torque problem.

my $.02

-Walkman

·
Registered
972 Posts
I did the same thing as you, I shot the high wrist for a while. I switched to the low wrist because it is easier to duplicate over and over, and in turn it has helped me be more consistent.

Try it, youll like it, I know I do

·
Registered
9,862 Posts
I've been shooting this way for more than 20 years. I don't have any trouble tuning any bow or shooting right/left, it's just what I like the feel of and it works for me:D .

Attachments

·
Registered
9,862 Posts
I'm no target pro, don't shoot in competition any more and don't want to or have the time but I do want to be as accurate as possible for hunting. I believe what the instructors say is that a low wrist grip will work for most people and is a good place to start. My wife shoots with a low wrist and does well and I can't think of anyone that I know shoots like I do but I don't think I'll ever change, I'm happy:D

Attachments

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Low wrist has allways worked for me, but then again, its the only way I have ever shot. If you are consistant with what you are doing now and hitting where you aim, then IMO, you should stick with it. Happy Shootin'.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input gang. I am thinking of changing to low wrist to try and improve consistancy. I feel extremely comfortable with high wrist, but am looking for any advantage I can get.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I have always shot witha high wrist untill a friend of mine said "wow how can you shoot consistantly like that" Well, I tried with a low wrist and I consistantly torque the bow and shoot high and left no matter what I try. So it wasn't for me...Just my .02:D

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
walks with a gi;

Yep, that has to be one of the highest unsupported grips I have ever seen.

You know you can buy custom bow grips that put your wrist in the same postion, but also allow you to rest your hand...

;)

-CG

·
Registered
9,862 Posts
CG, I've tried full high wrist grips and get right/ left misses. I don't get R/L's shooting this way, just what works for me. Even though it looks "uncomfortable" it's been a natural and "ingrained" part of my shooting since the early 80's. When I heel the grip on any bow I tend to hit my arm some with the string. This grip also helps to rotate my elbow out.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
walks with a gi;

"When I heel the grip on any bow I tend to hit my arm some with the string."

I find it hard to believe you could heel the bow with that grip/wrist position, looks physically impossible - unless you break your wrist..

;)

Maybe you could "fork" the the bow in the web between your thum and forefinger...your technique is is so different we'll have to create some new terminology for you...

;)

-CG

·
Registered
9,862 Posts
CG, you should be able to understand that when I heel the bow, it means that I'm not using the grip style pictured. Your comment about "forking" the bow is exactly what my hand is doing, shooting off the web between the thumb and index finger. I have a very small point of contact between the bow's grip and my hand, I'd guess no more than 1 square inch. Sometimes when a gust of wind comes up while I'm at full draw, it will blow my bow to one side quite a bit. Again my grip is not for everyone, just showing that something else can work also.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
walks with a gi;

I have been known to shoot some pretty high grips myself - built-up Hoyt 6R's. That was supported though, not like what you are doing. The closest I have seen to what you are doing are guys who have tried shooting with the grip between their forefinger and middle finger, which gives that straight wrist as well. When it works it work's well, have to have forearms like Popeye to be consistant with it.

Yep, wind can be a issue, I found shooting inclines/declines on a field course with a fairly heavy mass weight bow threw me off as well. To each his own, if it works for you use it..

;)

-CG

1 - 14 of 14 Posts