Archery Talk Forum banner

Highest Quality Bow?

3176 Views 37 Replies 35 Participants Last post by  Archersteve
Who makes the highest quality bow for hunting? ie, paint jobs, reliability, quietest, shooter friendly, ( i would say accurite buts thats the shooter's part) something thats not going to fail me in the rough.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

74,554 Posts
Here a great bow

I would say there will be more of these sold than any other bow.

Mathews Switchback is an excellant choice for hunting. Outback is also a great bow.

Attachments

· Registered
973 Posts
I would have to say Martin or Hoyt, well...haha maybe merlin. Martin and Merlin i believe have the best quality as far as straight risers, laminated limbs(not solid glass like mathews which i hear costs them $7 to make). I'm a big 2 cam guy so that kinda eliminates mathews. Hoyt makes some nice quiet bows. A lot of guys on here will say mathews probably, but i've seen too many with very bad cam lean on the bottom cam where you can't fix it by twisting up the split yokes. Just my experiences, but hey i'mi only 18 so what do i know!

Go Martin!

· Registered
263 Posts
pse makes a very solid bow, I have less problems w/ them than any thing else in my shop.I have very few target archers that come in 99 percent are hunters and are very rough on there equipment( you should see the stuff these guys bring in :eek: ) and I rarely have a problem that isn't user related.

· Registered
300 Posts
Daniel Boone said:
I would say there will be more of these sold than any other bow.

Mathews Switchback is an excellant choice for hunting. Outback is also a great bow.
Couldn't agree more.

· Registered
2,070 Posts
i would have to say these threads are getting rediculous. i see more and more everyday. MY BOW IS BETTER! :D

shooter friendly--->depends on how you shoot the bow, how it feels in YOUR hand.

quietest--->thats somewhat a personal opinion, plus the arrow weight, plus the amount of silencers that are installed(and what type), plus which bow it is(not manufacturer)

paint--->take care of your equiptment and this should be no problem except in the high wear areas such as in front of the grip.

most manufacturers make a pretty high quality bow. also ANY bow with a lifetime quatentee should mean quality enough that the manufacturer will stand by their product for a long time. i have yet to see a car, home, tv, and well almost anything with full lifetime warentees. even things you pay HUGE prices for. lifetime guarentee on a bow means a lot, if it breaks they will fix it for you(you must not abuse it of course). there are many bow companys with this qualification.

· Registered
10,694 Posts
The big 3

For highest quality and craftsmanship, it's hard to beat the big 3 trio of Barnsdale, Bowman, and Merlin. ;)
Others are good but these 3 are at the top.

Sag.

· Registered
12,613 Posts
I would say it is most definitely one of the following: Hoyt, Mathews, Bowtech, Martin, Bear, Jennings, PSE, Oneida, Merlin, Archery Research, Alpine, Darton, CSS, High Country, Parker, Browning . . .

Get the idea? There are a bunch of good ones out there. Not all bows are for everyone and there probably isn't a perfect bow.

· Registered
3,459 Posts
"Best" bows are those made with higher-grade materials--for instance 6082 aluminum instead of 6061, and quality bows have limbs made with higher carbon content for better torsional stiffnes and reaction, and built with superior processes, etc, to that of typical standard gordon glass or power-tuff limbs that many manufactrers use that are spit out at 90 miles per hour then they grab two out of a bin and call them "matched". No, Quality bows have limbs that are cut side-by-side from the same panel so deflections can be the best they can possibly be. These limbs typically cost anywhere from 8-12 times more than the typical gordon limbs to manufacture also.

Also, "best" bows have superior tolerances and quality control, and handling qualities are built-in--- their geometries are immediately noticeable, and draw cycles are smooth, and dynamic balance at the shot is superb with no "kick". Fit and finish are excellent also. There are many things to look for when searching for the "Best" bow, and it has nothing to do with advertising, popularity, or the name on the side. As I've stated many times before on many boards, there are many "good" bows out there, but few "great" ones. Don't be a lemming and follow the advertising, cause that will not bring you to any "best" bow" IMHO, tho it will bring you to the ones that might be the most popular. Depends on if you want to be a leader, or follower.. Most "great" bows are made by smaller companies who CARE about each bow, each customer, and each and every sale. I totally agree with Sag on this, the highest quality bows made anywhere today are (IMHO)----Merlin, Barnsdale, and Bowman.

· Registered
1,982 Posts
I've personally owned bows from the following manufacturers:

Hoyt, Mathews, BowTech, Darton, PSE, CSS, Martin, Continental and Golden Eagle.

(My wife doesn't need to know this)

I personally prefer Hoyt or Mathews, but that's because of the way they feel and shoot to me. The only quality issue I've had on any of the above-mentioned bows has been problems with the factory strings, but this will be a problem on most any of them. You should invest in a good set of strings and cables, i.e. Winners Choice, Stone Mountain or some of the other quality string makers.

Don't buy into the manufactuer-hype you'll hear at your pro-shop or anywhere else. You'll hear it a thousand times here on AT, but it's true; you really have to shoot a few and see which one feels the best to you.

· Registered
1,502 Posts
In all honesty, the best bow I've ever seen fit and finish wise was a Pearson Pirahna (really all recent Pearsons).

I sold it here and still regret it. It was perfect.

Mathews and Parker would have to be up there, along with Hoyt and Bowtech.

· Registered
1,655 Posts
Of the bows I've dealt with (pse, hoyt, merlin, bowtech, mathews) by far the best put together and highest quality over the whole bow I've seen was the Merlin, hands down, and I've been a hoyt shooter for 5+ years.

The hoyt, mathews, bowtech's are all put together about the same with similar quality.

The Merlin is the only bow I've ever stripped totally down and not been dissapointed in what I saw, be it with the quality of the parts used, design, or amount and placement of lube, and indicated wear on said parts. It's the first bow that I've bought that not only came at the right draw length, but the limb bolts actually had lube on the threads, instead of just a bunch of grease shoved under the limb pocket somewhere no where near the threads.

I don't think any of the major companies make a bad bow, and certainly if you stay with hoyt, mathews, bowtech, etc. you are going to get a good bow.

· Bowhemian
8,311 Posts
The only bow other than my Merlin is an old Jennings, so I can't make an intelligent comparison. But I will say that every time I go to the local pro-shop range I hear compliments on its looks. The few fellows who have asked to shoot it are uniformly impressed with the way it "feels."

I should mention that I'm talking about a target bow (SuperNova).

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.