Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a tru ball ht now and I see all the brass releases and don't know why you need the extra weight of the brass. Any explanation would help
thanks pat

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Its personal..... I have an ht as well, it feels dainty to me. Still like it but if you get the chance to try releases with a bit of weight you may see for yourself. A heavy release seems to help with a very crisp, clean shot. I don't think you need to rush out and buy one but any time someone allows you to try there release I think its smart as you never know until you try. Now that I have shot releases with more weight to them I don't like my releases that are light weight. Love my Scott Backspin fyi.

·
Registered
12 Posts
A heavier release seems to help the hinge break free on the shot as you pull through. Just my two cents...

Its kinda how a heavy hammer just feels good in the hand apposed to a light weight tool.

·
Registered
889 Posts
"Need"? Nope.

Nice to have? I think so. Can only give you the weight comparisons for one of them. Carter's brass Total Control weighs 6.8 ounces which gives a nice hefty solid feel in the hand. (I don't have a standard model to compare the weights, but Carter's Evolution weighs 3.2 ounces and its Sensation weighs 3.7 ounces. So the brass model weighs about twice as much as similar standard models.)

·
Registered
129 Posts
The brass just allows you to get a better feel for where you anchor and how crisp your release is. Heavy is not always the most important thing tho. I have a Scott Backspin as well and its very heavy however it just doesn't fit me as well as some other lighter releases. Just have to find the comfortable medium and while I do like the heavier releases, heavy doesn't always mean you'll shoot it well.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I am using a Stan SX3 and I prefer the heavier weight over standard releases. I dont think I shoot any better with it, but it "feels" better in my hand so its one less thing I think about while shooting.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
For me it's no as much as how the shot breaks, that feels pretty much the same to me on most BT releases, it's the rebound of the release in the hand after the shot breaks. Naturally the heavier the release the less rebound or movement. I shoot a rope and spike release a lot which has a plastic body, lots of rebound, if I don't use a lanyard I'll drop it almost every shot, with my brass longhorn it just sits there after the shot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts