Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a new trufire sear for christmas. I have dealt with target panic for a little whilenow to the point I couldn't even put my pin on the bale without punching my index trigger. I did lots of blank baling and finally decided to switch to a back-tension style release aid. Yet, when I drawback with my release it is hard for me to get comfortable since sometimes it goes off prematurely(I have punched myself in the face two times now) or I anchor and it feels like it takes forever for me to hit the click and it does. Sometimes I have been holding for 20 seconds and still not hitting the click even when feeling like I am really rotating my hand a lot and then my float breaks down and I let down. Sometimes I draw back and and never even hitting the click while anchoring and it fires. I am really confused. I have it set up pretty hot I can't lie, but it still takes a lot for me to get to the click(if I don't punch myself in the face drawing back). I love shooting with it because I feel no anticipation while aiming, but I just don't trust it. I have read quite a few articles on hinge setup, yet I still can't get it down. Any tips or ideas on what I should do would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Cool it off so you can draw it. I practiced with a string for a week or so to get the feel, then go to the bow. Do a search, you will find lots of good tutorials and advice. It took me about 2 months of practice before I felt like I could draw and not have it go off prematurely. Practice practice....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
486 Posts
I would recommend cooling it off a bit and blank baling to get a feel for drawing, anchoring, and pulling through the shot without worrying about aiming or float in the sight picture.

·
(aka lug nut)
49,580 Posts
I recently got a new trufire sear for christmas. I have dealt with target panic for a little whilenow to the point I couldn't even put my pin on the bale without punching my index trigger. I did lots of blank baling and finally decided to switch to a back-tension style release aid. Yet, when I drawback with my release it is hard for me to get comfortable since sometimes it goes off prematurely(I have punched myself in the face two times now) or I anchor and it feels like it takes forever for me to hit the click and it does. Sometimes I have been holding for 20 seconds and still not hitting the click even when feeling like I am really rotating my hand a lot and then my float breaks down and I let down. Sometimes I draw back and and never even hitting the click while anchoring and it fires. I am really confused. I have it set up pretty hot I can't lie, but it still takes a lot for me to get to the click(if I don't punch myself in the face drawing back). I love shooting with it because I feel no anticipation while aiming, but I just don't trust it. I have read quite a few articles on hinge setup, yet I still can't get it down. Any tips or ideas on what I should do would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7eGJKCaKsw

Set the release STONE COLD, instead of piping hot. I drilled a hole in the hinge release and tapped it for 1/4-20 threaded rod. Play with relaxing the back of your hand, and relax the index finger, so your wrist and forearm is in line with the bones in the back of your hand. When you relax your wrist, when you flatten the back of your hand, see how the threaded rod is in line with the forearm? My hinge is set sooo stone cold, the release clicks and still does not fire. So, you pull on the middle finger side of the handle. See how the threaded rod dips down? The top of the hinge (4th finger end of the handle) rotates back towards your face, when you do all the pulling on the 3rd finger end of the handle. Top of my hinge handle has to move 3/4-inch AFTER the click, for the hinge to fire. Use a loop of paracord, and tie a d-loop onto the end, and practice 1000 shots with the practice loop. You will trust your hinge, after 1000 practice runs.

Now, I'm not saying that you need to drill out your hinge handle and put in a threaded rod. That's just to show you what a relaxed wrist looks like, and what happens to the handle, when you pull on the middle finger end of the handle.

·
Registered
18,399 Posts
Search here for Padgetts hinge set up...works great...finger position is critical for consistency with a hinge...grip too deep and it is really slow to fire...I would suggest dropping draw weight 10lbs for a while and get comfortable and then creep up to a draw weight you are comfortable with...practice on a large bale really close until you are confident with the release set up...if your draw length is too long it will also cause issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7eGJKCaKsw

Set the release STONE COLD, instead of piping hot. I drilled a hole in the hinge release and tapped it for 1/4-20 threaded rod. Play with relaxing the back of your hand, and relax the index finger, so your wrist and forearm is in line with the bones in the back of your hand. When you relax your wrist, when you flatten the back of your hand, see how the threaded rod is in line with the forearm? My hinge is set sooo stone cold, the release clicks and still does not fire. So, you pull on the middle finger side of the handle. See how the threaded rod dips down? The top of the hinge (4th finger end of the handle) rotates back towards your face, when you do all the pulling on the 3rd finger end of the handle. Top of my hinge handle has to move 3/4-inch AFTER the click, for the hinge to fire. Use a loop of paracord, and tie a d-loop onto the end, and practice 1000 shots with the practice loop. You will trust your hinge, after 1000 practice runs.

Now, I'm not saying that you need to drill out your hinge handle and put in a threaded rod. That's just to show you what a relaxed wrist looks like, and what happens to the handle, when you pull on the middle finger end of the handle.

Thank you. That video was great. After looking at some video I had of me shooting I could see where I had it angled forward really bad. My elbow was really high and I had to rotate my hand a lot to get it to fire, so when I had better form it would go off since it was so hot. Thanks for all the responses. Also does anyone hunt with a hinge? I love bowhunting and am considering it greatly with how I have no anticipation of the shot. I’ve heard that a command style release is better so you can time your shot. Thoughts?

·
(aka lug nut)
49,580 Posts
Thank you. That video was great. After looking at some video I had of me shooting I could see where I had it angled forward really bad. My elbow was really high and I had to rotate my hand a lot to get it to fire, so when I had better form it would go off since it was so hot. Thanks for all the responses. Also does anyone hunt with a hinge? I love bowhunting and am considering it greatly with how I have no anticipation of the shot. I’ve heard that a command style release is better so you can time your shot. Thoughts?
Set your hinge stone cold, so that you can have the handle vertical, wrist relaxed, and the hinge just plain will not fire. Confirm this with the paracord practice loop. To get from brace to full draw, sure, angle the handle forwards, to you have peace of mind. When you get to anchor/full draw, relax the wrist, allow the BACK of your hand to go flat, like this.

If you use a thumb knob on your hinge, grab the thumb knob and make a fist and angle the hinge handle forwards, to get from brace to full draw. Once you get to full draw, then, stretch, flatten the back of your hand.

Still at full draw and anchor, but you are relaxing your wrist and flattening the back of your hand. Almost there.

NOW, with the back of your hand flat, the hinge goes CLICK.

Paracord is tied to the post of the metal shelving.

·
Registered
8,962 Posts
Some guys have had problems with the Sear release not staying tight when you set the moon. I would suggest a more proven design like Tru Ball HT or Stan morex series. They both have micro adjust and are both very reliable. I started with the Stan because it has the training lock, this allows you to draw back and go through your shot without worrying about a misfire. It is a great release for a beginner. Once it is set to where you are confident you take the training lock pin out and start shooting for real.

·
paddylad
279 Posts
I shoot a Stan Black Ice, with a thumb stalk - clamp down on that while drawing the bow and there is no chance of it pre-firing -- once at full draw and settled on the target I take my thumb off the stalk and take up a bit of slack in the release, then commence my shooting procedure - works a treat for me ... I shoot this release both for target/3D and all my hunting. this release also has a "training" screw which can be screwed into the sear so you can practice without accidentally shooting the bow at all - just clicks instead of going off.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I had the exact same problem! I had my wife film me and you could see my hand pivoting to fire, but took a while to actua lly fire. Other times I barely got to fu ll draw and it fired. I know it wasn't me. I took it back and plan on getting something else eventually.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Search here for Padgetts hinge set up...works great...finger position is critical for consistency with a hinge...grip too deep and it is really slow to fire...I would suggest dropping draw weight 10lbs for a while and get comfortable and then creep up to a draw weight you are comfortable with...practice on a large bale really close until you are confident with the release set up...if your draw length is too long it will also cause issues.

This right here. Padgett has the best routine for setting up a hinge and is a really nice guy to deal with. It will help loads, just follow what he says and you won’t go wrong and will enjoy shooting

·
Registered
783 Posts
Definitely read Padgett’s articles.

·
Registered
47 Posts
A tension release would prolly be better for learning. What i used and can shoot any release now using BT

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Some guys have had problems with the Sear release not staying tight when you set the moon. I would suggest a more proven design like Tru Ball HT or Stan morex series. They both have micro adjust and are both very reliable. I started with the Stan because it has the training lock, this allows you to draw back and go through your shot without worrying about a misfire. It is a great release for a beginner. Once it is set to where you are confident you take the training lock pin out and start shooting for real.
DNV23 is probably right here. I'm a big TruFire fanboy and I like to support them, but there's some bugs that need to be worked out in the sear. There are some good ones out there it seems but some bad ones too. I bought one last week and took it back Sunday. My hook wouldn't even engage unless I put it on cold setting. On cold setting it wouldn't fire.

I took my paracord trainer with a dloop tied on with it on the cold setting. I put my foot thru the other end and hooked the sear on the dloop. I pulled with everything I had, I twisted and contorted the release rotating it - etc. I could not get the thing to fire.

Barely make a move to the hot side (barely any adjustment anyway) and the hook wouldn't engage even if I pulled it straight sideways.

Hot or cold about every 4th or 5th pull the sear would come loose from the two set screws. It came across my palm once when the sear let go and cut my hand.

When I took it back, since the TF Panic X was the exact same price I decided to give it a whirl. I'm not a trigger puncher, especially with an index but in testing the Panic X about every 3rd try you could punch it. Every time you could take a bit of creep out then punch it and it would go off.

My main release is a TF Hardcore 4 Revolution 4 finger handheld. It's a really good release and I sold 3 Stans and kept this - I like TF a lot, but I don't know if they rushed these two new ones to market or didn't quite think them thru, but there might be some blowback.

I have a client meeting close to my shop tomorrow. When we finish I'm returning the Panic X and trying a Carter. My shop carries Stans as well but I've had 3 of them already. They are an excellently made release but just don't fit my hand right. I get a cut for some reason between my pointer and naughty finger. Never figured out why.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I just got my 1st hinge as well. I went with the Carter Honey 2 for two reasons. 1-it has a safety, no fat lips and no worries letting down, a big plus for me because I was nervous about those things and nervous is the last thing I want to be while shooting 2-it has a floating head, regardless of your anchor position/hand angel it's the same amount of rotation for the shot to break once you release the safety.

It has no clicker, that's OK with me because anticipation is what I'm wanting to get away from with a hinge.

Honey 2 it may be with a look.

·
Back Yard Champion
29,690 Posts
Most is probably getting use to a hinge. Okay, you don't learn these over night. For some it takes months and even longer. A year for me and now getting the hang of it (even showing off a bit). I am not a lover of moons. There are micro adjust hinges available, Stan, TRU Ball and a couple of others. Yes, there are hinges with safeties. Stan has cross pin that allows the hinge to fire, but not release the string. Not what I would say for practice, but does allow one the adjust the sears without getting a busted mouth...

With that given on AT of late the Tru-Fire Sear seems to have a issue with the moon, slipping or something I'm aware of...clicks?

I've shot one Tru-Fire and it was set blazing hot. Knowing how to hold a hinge and thumb on the pulling post for safety I could easily draw and anchor. Shooting was just easing of the pulling post and WHAM the shot happened. All shots went right in the X ring.

I have a email in to Tru-Fire asking of the slipping - giving the link to thread. Received notification of my email to them, but not response as of yet.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I'll have to recant my statement above about Stans - apparently I'd never had my hand around a Perfex. Went to try the Honey 2 and did, but we didn't get along. Got talked into trying the Perfex even though I knew previous Stans and I didn't get along. It was everything I loved about the JustX and they addressed everything I didn't like about the JustX. Plus you just can't beat a Stan trigger.

I'll eat my crow like a big boy. However, unfortunately, you just have to try as many releases as possible and try your best to buy once cry once. I'm fairly luck my local shop has a decent stock to try out.

·
Registered
323 Posts
My opinion is the sear is not a release for beginners. I decided to shoot one this year, and it's a hot release. Even the slowest click with the longest travel is pretty hot in my opinion. No way I could have used it for my first hinge. I'd recommend trying something from tru ball or carter. They both make releases with far more adjustment than the sear.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts