Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just a question for you hinge shooters

i must say that if someone saw my "form', they would think i was a total rookie idiot. but i have short arms, so in order for me to get any kind of consistency, i HAVE to anchor much higher on my face then what any textbook would recommend. when i am anchored high like that, i have much more "control"(for lack of a better term) of my innermost back muscles and they keep pulling, but much slower than when i am anchored "properly". heck if i am anchored "properly", i can't even say for sure that the proper muscles are actually causing the release.

can anyone here tell me if this is common for certain archers shooting hinges? or if i am doing something else wrong, forcing me to anchor up higher?

i have tried and tried and TRIED to anchor the textbook way. but without my elbow high and a straight arm, i just can't get any type of shot routine down pat. is it a short arm thing?

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
Many of the top pro shooters anchor low on their face. Under their jaw bones in a lot of cases.

Of course quite a few anchor high.

I've been through a variety of changes in the last couple years in form, trying to please the AT form "experts" analyzing other peoples form, looking at myself and trying to have the "textbook" look.

What I've found, is that I have to shoot the way I can make it work. This isn't textbook, but it works very well. I have a steady sight picture, my back muscles are doing the work, and the most important thing is......I'm shooting better than I ever have.

You need to find that "spot" for you. If you are shooting well the way you are describing then stick with it and refine things till your scores are where you want them. If you are not shooting good, then have someone look at what you are doing and help you fix it.

And yes on the short arm thing......I can't actually get anchored without my elbow up in the air when shooting a hinge or thumb tesion. It just feels awful if I pull it down...it actually hurts. SO.....my elbow is high. It works.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Shouldn't have anything to do with short arms. DL's, ATA, and arm length are all proportional. Short arm's won't keep you from shooting with "textbook form."

What really matters is that you are comfortable with how you shoot. There are a million ways to shoot a jumpshot, and there are a million ways to put an arrow in the x-ring, find what works for you.

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
Shouldn't have anything to do with short arms. DL's, ATA, and arm length are all proportional. Short arm's won't keep you from shooting with "textbook form."

What really matters is that you are comfortable with how you shoot. There are a million ways to shoot a jumpshot, and there are a million ways to put an arrow in the x-ring, find what works for you.
I would actually respectfully disagree about the proportional thing. A guy can have a longer dl with short arms. Broad shoulders and a big chest or vice versa can make standard form very awkward for some.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I would actually respectfully disagree about the proportional thing. A guy can have a longer dl with short arms. Broad shoulders and a big chest or vice versa can make standard form very awkward for some.
Or they can have body parts that just don't line up with what others have.My shoulders are not square,they have kind of a circular pattern to them so for me to get my rear elbow straight back and in line with the arrow,it is painfull so I stop just shy of that point.

Watch clip

http://www.bowtube.com/media/32/The_Stance-_Wise_Shooting_Tips_With_Larry_Wise/

If I rotate my arm around at the elbow as reccomended,my hand is 4" shy of my face,so consequently,I have to adjust something,so I raise me rear elbow untill my hand rotates forward enough to make a solid anchor.

THERE IS NO COOKIE CUTTER FORM,but their are basics that most everyone would benefit from trying to adhere to.

·
Registered
8,997 Posts
Tfox1 is right. I just did the elbow bending and my hand is also way short of being close to my face. Larry must have left out a step.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Tfox1 is right. I just did the elbow bending and my hand is also way short of being close to my face. Larry must have left out a step.
I wish he would have addresed this as well.GREAT VIDEO from him but many do not fit this model.My 11 year old son can do this and his hand hits his face.His form looks great.

I see too may times in form threads where someone gets told where to put their rear elbow(vertically),imo,they should start with the video form and adjust from there,where the elbow ends up is where it should be,for them.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Didn't think about that. I was thinking short arms and just being short in general. I guess short arms with broad shoulders or a long neck could make things weird.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Honestly, your DL may be a little short! I shot up on my face with a low peep for about 10 years. I found that I had to lengthen my DL a whole inch to get that "textbook" anchor down on my jaw. Now I'm shooting better than ever.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Honestly, your DL may be a little short! I shot up on my face with a low peep for about 10 years. I found that I had to lengthen my DL a whole inch to get that "textbook" anchor down on my jaw. Now I'm shooting better than ever.
i have tried that but then i get no "pull" out of my rhomboids. sure i can squeeze them. but i can squeeze til i am blue in the face blue in the face(literally) and it won't cause the movement necessary to fire the release. it is like a piece is missing between the rhomboids and the elbow.

·
Lou & Jode
10,782 Posts

i must say that if someone saw my "form', they would think i was a total rookie idiot. but i have short arms, so in order for me to get any kind of consistency, i HAVE to anchor much higher on my face then what any textbook would recommend. when i am anchored high like that, i have much more "control"(for lack of a better term) of my innermost back muscles and they keep pulling, but much slower than when i am anchored "properly". heck if i am anchored "properly", i can't even say for sure that the proper muscles are actually causing the release.

can anyone here tell me if this is common for certain archers shooting hinges? or if i am doing something else wrong, forcing me to anchor up higher?

i have tried and tried and TRIED to anchor the textbook way. but without my elbow high and a straight arm, i just can't get any type of shot routine down pat. is it a short arm thing?
Alot of shooters including me tend to duct their head into the string at anchor instead of standing up straight and bringing the string to the face. If your head is not straight and held up while you anchor you will loose back tension.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
that too

Alot of shooters including me tend to duct their head into the string at anchor instead of standing up straight and bringing the string to the face. If your head is not straight and held up while you anchor you will loose back tension.
i have tried that too, focusing on head position, but still can't get the back and elbow to "link up" unless my elbow is "high". anatomically, i also have a difficult time holding my bow arm pointed straight out like is recommended. i have to use more of an angle to the right in order to get that good solid feeling of bone to bone!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Lot of good info here. The key is to find that perfect spot for you that you find every time. However, if I may ask, what is your hand position at full draw? Is it flat, close to a 45* angle, or near vertical (pinky straight up)? Inconsistent anchor point and hand position will wreak havoc on proper BT. The 45 works best for most and allows the shooter to feel the shot better. If you can squeeze your rhomboids like crazy and your release won't fire, your anchor point needs to be moved down and hand position changed. Sounds like your release can't rotate when you squeeze the rhomboids.

·
edthearcher
6,492 Posts
form

is there a right way???? or better yet is there a wrong way????? or are we me included copy cats????? I have always said no matter what you do to be a good archer you must do it the same every time. try to tell my wife lower your anchor point is like talking to a brick wall, and altho not great she dont do to bad. Iam 72 stand 5 ft 9 I shoot a 28 inch draw any less or any more Iam not comfortable, yet the guy next to me who is 6 ft 3 in shoots a 28 in draw. so in reply if it works dont change it, unless you want to

·
Registered
515 Posts
here I thought this would be a forum about punching yourself in the face while learning to shoot a hinge, like I did a few times. I made the mistake of switching to it 7 weeks into a spot league, talk about crash course...

I agree on a lot of points made here, good stuff.

·
Registered
8,685 Posts

there is no right, there is no wrong, just what ever works for you. If your happy with the way your shooting than shoot and enjoy. don't worry about what the text says.

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
I think the main thing is just to pull in a straight line from your grip to the tip of your release elbow. That should get you at a natural comfy anchor.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Lot of good info here. The key is to find that perfect spot for you that you find every time. However, if I may ask, what is your hand position at full draw? Is it flat, close to a 45* angle, or near vertical (pinky straight up)? Inconsistent anchor point and hand position will wreak havoc on proper BT. The 45 works best for most and allows the shooter to feel the shot better. If you can squeeze your rhomboids like crazy and your release won't fire, your anchor point needs to be moved down and hand position changed. Sounds like your release can't rotate when you squeeze the rhomboids.
just the opposite like i stated in my original post. squeezing my rhomboids doesn't get my release to fire unless i RAISE my anchor point which raises my elbow. then it works to perfection. i do keep my hand almost flat. i just figure with a hinge, the head doesn't rotate and holding it at an angle twists the Dloop.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts