Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After launching another arrow over the top of the target due to panic, I am considering a new release. I currently use an index release. I hunt and shoot occasional 3D.

Just wondering if a hinge or a thumb button would help some with target panic? And I really slap the index trigger, so regardless I would like to move away from the index style all together.

·
Registered
585 Posts
After launching another arrow over the top of the target due to panic, I am considering a new release. I currently use an index release. I hunt and shoot occasional 3D.

Just wondering if a hinge or a thumb button would help some with target panic? And I really slap the index trigger, so regardless I would like to move away from the index style all together.
A new release is not going to cure your target panic. You can still rush shots with a hinge and you can still punch a thumb trigger.

You're going to need to work on yourself and your process. Some blank bale or blind bale shooting can be helpful. This eliminates your focus on a single point and helps you focus on the process.

Learn to shoot using proper back tension and creating the surprise break. This can be done with any style release.

There are going to be some other great responses. Listen to them.

That being said, I like shooting hinges. Though, I have some thumb triggers, too. Learning a hinge will take time. Lots of it. Hunting with one is a whole other level and would not suggest it unless you've shot a hinge for some time.

·
Registered
427 Posts
With any release you can develop target panic. A change in release does help because it takes your focus off your target panic and puts it back on your form. When I start to get tp back I switch from my hinge to a thumb. When my heart calms I go back to my hinge. My target panic causes me to get handsy up front, grabbing the bow. Mixed with pulling to hard with the release hand driving my arrow high. When this happens now, I've learned to shoot through it focusing on feeling the bow jump from my palm to my fingers. But during the moment it's very hard to feel what's off to find your problem. A release change can help take your mind off it and help you feel what your doing wrong and right.

·
"Keep Hammering"
8,228 Posts
A new release is not going to cure your target panic. You can still rush shots with a hinge and you can still punch a thumb trigger.

You're going to need to work on yourself and your process. Some blank bale or blind bale shooting can be helpful. This eliminates your focus on a single point and helps you focus on the process.

Learn to shoot using proper back tension and creating the surprise break. This can be done with any style release.

That being said, I like shooting hinges. Though, I have some thumb triggers, too. Learning a hinge will take time. Lots of it. Hunting with one is a whole other level and would not suggest it unless you've shot a hinge for some time.
A hinge absolutely cured my TP, I had it very bad and immediately switched to a hinge and it's been gone for 8 years and counting.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

As expected, just wondering if a different release would aid in the process of working on TP. I definitely need to work on form without a doubt. Thanks for the tips

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With any release you can develop target panic. A change in release does help because it takes your focus off your target panic and puts it back on your form. When I start to get tp back I switch from my hinge to a thumb. When my heart calms I go back to my hinge. My target panic causes me to get handsy up front, grabbing the bow. Mixed with pulling to hard with the release hand driving my arrow high. When this happens now, I've learned to shoot through it focusing on feeling the bow jump from my palm to my fingers. But during the moment it's very hard to feel what's off to find your problem. A release change can help take your mind off it and help you feel what your doing wrong and right.
This is what I was thinking. That’s good to hear. Do you prefer the hinge? Which style did you originally switch from? How different are the thumb and the hinge during the shot?

·
Registered
8,435 Posts

The short answer is no.

The long answer is yes. In fact, a hinge release will make the surprise release somewhat easier to learn than a release with a trigger. An even better option, tho, is a tension-style, which takes even less attention on manipulating the release aid itself to get it to go off as a surprise. So that would be my suggestion for learning the surprise shot. Once you learn that, you can transition the same shot method to hinges and trigger releases, with some practice and "down time".

I learned the surprise release on a tension style, but later, for various reasons, went over to a wrist-strap (Carter Like Mike) which I shoot with the "back tension" method, identical to what I learned on my tension-style (Carter Evolution).

Paige Pierce has a good video on choosing a release aid and the basics of a surprise release here:

lee.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Like others have said, I switched to a hinge release and the TP was practically gone! I was amazed. The problem for me was I absolutely hate hunting with it and wanted to go back to my index finger.

All I can say is JOEL TURNER. Listen to him and take his online course if funds allow. I simply listened to 3 podcasts he was on while driving between visiting customers one day and I came home and was able to shoot better and control my shot with a wrist strap release. It’s been 6 years since I’ve been able to do that. I’ve always locked off target about 6 inches to the right and tried to drive by.

Is it perfect yet? Not at all. I’m going to finish this hunting season out with my hinge, but I’m excited to get back into the swing of things with my wrist strap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
I too have/ had target panic mildly, however this season I focused on my checklist of the shot, at a blank bail and just hitting the large target but in no specific spot, and I really got comfortable with letting my pin float and trusting that it will be where I need it when that shot finally breaks. It has really helped me this season immensely, I shoot a tru fire hardcore max and really like it, however, I would like to try a hinge style just to see if there is more I can do for consistency. With that being said, I'm curious if my draw length will need to be adjusted or if my sight will be off at all due to a switch because I really like how my bow is set up now and don't know if redoing it is worth the hassle.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Slow the shot execution down. Put the pin on the target, let down and repeat, until it comes 2nd nature and your comfortable with it, then start finish executing the shot with releasing arrows. Paige Pierce's video is a good one to view. Good luck, control the brain first.

·
Back Yard Champion
31,921 Posts
A hinge absolutely cured my TP, I had it very bad and immediately switched to a hinge and it's been gone for 8 years and counting.

Did it? Have you went back to the release you used when target panic attacked?

You know, you get target panic using a hinge.

·
"Keep Hammering"
8,228 Posts
Did it? Have you went back to the release you used when target panic attacked?

You know, you get target panic using a hinge.
Yep I shoot them all without issue anymore, The hinge taught me alot of interesting facts about my shooting. I'm sure you can get target panic with anything but it cured mine as it removed the trigger out of the equation and taught me to trust my float, Then when I transitioned back to a trigger from time to time my brain has learned to trust the float and I make good shot executions.

·
Registered
585 Posts

That's great that it worked for you. Problem is that it doesn't for everyone and many people are under the impression that getting a new release is a cure all for TP.

·
Back Yard Champion
31,921 Posts
Yep I shoot them all without issue anymore, The hinge taught me alot of interesting facts about my shooting. I'm sure you can get target panic with anything but it cured mine as it removed the trigger out of the equation and taught me to trust my float, Then when I transitioned back to a trigger from time to time my brain has learned to trust the float and I make good shot executions.

Congrats. Count yourself as one of the few that make the transition. Most don't figure out their problem and when going back here comes target panic.

·
"Keep Hammering"
8,228 Posts
That's great that it worked for you. Problem is that it doesn't for everyone and many people are under the impression that getting a new release is a cure all for TP.
Even though it hasn't showed back up its still there technically. Its a mental issue and almost everyone I've shot with or talked to either bowhunting or target shooting has experienced it in some form. But with that said a trigger release is much easier to develop TP with then a Hinge/Resistance style release.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have been using ‘back tension‘ to shoot since day one of picking up a bow with both thumb triggers and a Carter Evolution. As others have said, you can absolutely still have target panic with these styles. The key to me was combining the tension release with being very deliberate with my shot process. Literally checking in at every step from setting the feet to following up after the arrow hits. That was the biggest help for me.

I am a full blown John Dudley disciple. Finding him at random got me into archery and his lessons have made learning the process so much easier. The thing from his process that also helped me knock out target panic was saying whatever mantra you want while increasing tension. Reminds me subconsciously to slow down and not rush the shot.

·
"Keep Hammering"
8,228 Posts
Congrats. Count yourself as one of the few that make the transition. Most don't figure out their problem and when going back here comes target panic.
It never truly goes away, TP is like cancer its in remission but still technically there.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts