Archery Talk Forum banner
21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Even though it hasn't showed back up its still there technically. Its a mental issue and almost everyone I've shot with or talked to either bowhunting or target shooting has experienced it in some form. But with that said a trigger release is much easier to develop TP with then a Hinge/Resistance style release.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
I don't disagree with anything you've said at all. Using a hinge and resistance release really helped me hone my skills as an archer.

I just like to caution people that it takes more than just switching a release. Like you said, the hinge helped you learn about your process which, imo, is more important than the type of release. But, yes, having a trigger lends itself to punching that trigger when experiencing TP.

·
"Keep Hammering"
8,228 Posts
I don't disagree with anything you've said at all. Using a hinge and resistance release really helped me hone my skills as an archer.

I just like to caution people that it takes more than just switching a release. Like you said, the hinge helped you learn about your process which, imo, is more important than the type of release. But, yes, having a trigger lends itself to punching that trigger when experiencing TP.
Good point.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
After launching another arrow over the top of the target due to panic, I am considering a new release. I currently use an index release. I hunt and shoot occasional 3D.

Just wondering if a hinge or a thumb button would help some with target panic? And I really slap the index trigger, so regardless I would like to move away from the index style all together.
Nock On Silverback Plus. Watch the target instead of your pin and pull through the shot. Happy Thanksgiving and don’t give up.

·
El Cool Arrow >>---->
9,962 Posts
The shot process is a huge part of the issue with TP. Before you even attack TP check your set up lots of things with your bow set up maybe contributing to the issue or all of it. Too much draw weight, too much holding weight, wrong peep/height, incorrect pin size or even a lens or need of clarifier/verifier. Start here as these things can make things even worse or create anxiety.

Trust & focus are the key to beating TP

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Getting over Target Panic has more to do with getting your shot sequence correct than what release you use.

People take forever to put their pin on the spot which leads to drive by punching the release.
You should write your shot sequence down & follow it.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
For target panic. You have to retrain your brain. Your brain has to be ok with you putting the pin on target and letting the pin sit there.
Come to full draw and put your pin on target, BUT DO NOT SHOOT!!! When you start feeling like you have to shoot, let down and start over.
Target Panic is when you are on target and the pin is moving around. You start getting nervous about hitting the "X-ring" etc. Now your brain starts thinking "I have to get the pin in the x-ring so I don't miss". Then you get nervous, you panic and start a drive by. Then you slap or punch the trigger when you even get close to the x-ring hoping you don't miss. Before long if you get any where close to the 9 or 10 ring, you panic because you don't want to miss. So you really have to retrain your Ole gray matter that is between your ears.
A new or different release will not do that for you. Using a different release might mask the symptoms but you still have to retrain your brain. Getting a new or different release is like putting a bandaid on a boil. You might see the bandaid but the boil is still there.

·
Registered
427 Posts
This is what I was thinking. That’s good to hear. Do you prefer the hinge? Which style did you originally switch from? How different are the thumb and the hinge during the shot?
I prefer the hinge I shoot a fulkrum, and a aybess thumb. For me they are different because of how I fire my thumb. I can shoot them both well but the hinge feels much cleaner. Everybody is different though. I shoot heavy on my back tension and I started with a hinge before thumb button by a year. So I'm more use to my hinge. It's a very personal preference based on your form. If you shoot static the hinge will give you more trouble with out a click. Once you learn your heat level and how to live on the edge of the sear you move to no click. But like I said that's my approach. Someone else may help you more.

·
Registered
427 Posts
This is what I was thinking. That’s good to hear. Do you prefer the hinge? Which style did you originally switch from? How different are the thumb and the hinge during the shot?
release was a wrist strap truball fang then went to a trufire sear. took three months to feel in control and repeatable. Then when I knew the hinge was what felt best. I upgraded to the falkrum for ease of adjustment. And which ever you choose hinge/button you have to commit a bunch of time. It doesn't come over night.

·
Registered
27 Posts
GRIV wrote a great article on this a few years back. His regimen is quite intense, but no doubt thorough. I haven't followed this on a step-by-step approach, but have incorporated many elements of this into my regular practice routine. A couple times a week I will do a round of practice where I dont fire an arrow and instead just come to full draw, let the pin float, and let down. Don't fire an arrow until a different practice day. It'll keep you honest.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
I guess I'm different (people have been telling me that for years..... is that a good or bad thing...? 😜 )

Anyway, as I've mentioned before, I was a high level rifle competitor in the past, so I naturally gravitated to a wrist sling release that I fired with my trigger finger. It was just "natural" for me, and worked fine.

But after hearing and reading so much about the hinge/back tension stuff, I figured I had to try it. It made me absolutely crazy! I started developing all kinds of bad habits and mental "ticks". 😬

So I backed off to a thumb release and all of that stuff went away almost immediately.

Maybe it is my background of growing up being a finger shooter for decades, and decades of rifle shooting, but I like to be "in control" of my release.

I'm sure some here will tell me I was doing it all wrong, that I need to try it again, and that I need to do this and that to "do it right". And they might be right. But for now, I'm perfectly happy not developing bad habits, and being comfortable with my shooting.

Reactions: cflann

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
No Pyme ,you are not doing anything wrong. Everyone's mind works different & if you are happy with your shooting, keep doing it.
When I work with my 4H kids, most start with a wrist release. I tell them to squeeze the trigger as slow as they can. When you think your going slow, then slow down. When you see them get startled when the shot goes off, I say now you got it. Their shooting improves almost instantly. It becomes a surprise release. If you are aiming ,allowing the pin float, You can't anticipate the shot & mess it up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would try a resistance release, such as the silverback or the Stan Perfex R, I have the Stan and LOVE it!!! My only regret is I got the short neck and not the long and found out they run small on their sizes, I have a XL and it still feels small in my hands but it is comfortable. All that aside, the resistance releases are activated by pulling through the shot. Once at full draw just steadily pull on the string and once the set amount of tension is applied it fires. The Stan has “trainer pin” so you can draw and pull and it will never fire. I had a slight case of panic and as stated, now I’m more focused on pulling and aiming and less on the target and just making a good clean shot, hope this helps

·
Registered
63 Posts
imho, having tried target panic, the major issue seemed to be my focus, while trying to execute a shot I was already thinking about the result I wanted, rather than the spot I wanted to aim at and most important the execution of the shot.

Hinges and reasonably heavy movement free triggers can help shift the focus to the shot execution, because they can force you to wait.

If you go with a hinge start with a length of rope set to your draw length and practice your shot execution, once you have a setup (set the hinge slow at first and speed it up once you are settled)

When you move to a boss start very close and with no target and concentrate on execution, when you move to a face start with a large target at close range in order to try to avoid the temptation to try too hard.

Have fun !

·
Registered
8,435 Posts
I guess I'm different (people have been telling me that for years..... is that a good or bad thing...? 😜 )

Anyway, as I've mentioned before, I was a high level rifle competitor in the past, so I naturally gravitated to a wrist sling release that I fired with my trigger finger. It was just "natural" for me, and worked fine.

But after hearing and reading so much about the hinge/back tension stuff, I figured I had to try it. It made me absolutely crazy! I started developing all kinds of bad habits and mental "ticks". 😬

So I backed off to a thumb release and all of that stuff went away almost immediately.

Maybe it is my background of growing up being a finger shooter for decades, and decades of rifle shooting, but I like to be "in control" of my release.

I'm sure some here will tell me I was doing it all wrong, that I need to try it again, and that I need to do this and that to "do it right". And they might be right. But for now, I'm perfectly happy not developing bad habits, and being comfortable with my shooting.
Nope, not at all. If command-shooting isn't giving you any problems and you're shooting well, why change? In every TP thread, the misunderstanding comes up that all command-shooters are bound to come down with TP, if they don't already suffer from it. That's demonstrably false, given how many shooters there are at all levels that command their release and don't encounter any difficulties from doing so.

The reverse, however, that shooters with TP virtually always are command-shooters, is a definite and unfortunate fact of life in archery. And for those poor souls (of which I am one), the only TP treatment that truly works is the surprise release. We're doomed to have to use it instead of any method that involves timing the shot.

Fortunately, how to do it is freely available and costs $0.00 (TIP: don't ever pay money to anyone for TP treatment). It's not terribly easy, but the surprise release is a simple process to learn.

And to bring it around to the topic, you can perform the surprise shot on any release type. It only so happens to be easier to learn on certain types like the tension-style and the hinge. So occasionally, an additional investment in one of those types of releases is a good idea to learn the surprise release with.

But again, it's only for TP sufferers that the situation regarding timing the shot is basically terminal . For many shooters, there's no reason to adopt the surprise shot, because command-shooting doesn't present any problems...

lee.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
No disrespect to anyone but I don’t think you can fix target panic with a release. The release is not the issue, it’s a lack of a consistent and solid conscious shot process combined with a subconscious fear of impact. It’s like firing a pistol and switching the safety on when they aren’t looking and you see how much they flinch, bracing for impact. It’s all mental.

Until you stop caring so much, stop over aiming and trusting the float, stop focusing on the pin and focusing on the target, having a consistent shot routine that you consciously focus on for each step that you do not veer from, no matter what, and using bigger muscles instead of smaller muscles / fingers.

Joel Turner course is helpful. The discount code ELKSHAPE may still work for a decent savings

·
Shootin and Cussin
25,185 Posts
Always remember.... Target panic is mental. No release can cure it. They only make it go away for a bit before it springs back up.

Control the mental game, control the TP.

Reactions: dwilsey
21 - 40 of 83 Posts