Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys do to keep from hitting your coat while bow hunting. i had it happen 2 times last year. i am thinking about a thick longsleve shirt with a vest. just would like to know what others do.

·
Cato
4,078 Posts
Some thoughts; bow with higher brace height; open your stance some when you shoot; be sure your grip is not way far in too deep to the handle; take your bow pull up rope and use it to tie around your bow arm sleeve to pull clothing in as tight as possible.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
This is a about $8-$9 everywhere. I use it and it works well.

armguard.jpg

Joe

·
Back down to ground level
16,117 Posts
I twist my elbow out and up at full draw and don't have a problem hitting even in a heavy insulated suit.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Arm guard, rubber bands, cut the end out of an old wool tube sock, use proper form, This ain't rocket science, it's good ol' fashioned bowhuntin'.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
HAd it happen when I was wearing my raingear last season...Didn't have a chance to put on my srm guard to keep the sleeve out of the way...

·
Land of the Giants!!
4,374 Posts
I shift my wrist/hand on the bow grip a bit clockwise which in turn creates more of an arm angle away from the grip/bow. This in turn rotates my bow arm's elbow out away from the bow and completly out of the way of the incoming bow string when I release.

I'm not sure if it's proper form but it's how I taught myself to avoid arm rash and also to avoid having to wear an arm guard early on when I was learning archery/bowhunting.

I do the wrist/grip shift immediately after I first draw back right before the settling in kisser & peep alignment process.

Try it!

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
My scentblocker realeaf jacket has a real nice built in arm guard that works great, and my other jacket is an athletic fit softshell ands stays out of the way. I dont wear big lose fitting coats for archery.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Gets real cold and the big heavy coat comes out, I use duct tape. Looks ghetto but works great!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Open your stance and shorten your draw length. You can wear an arm guard also, but shouldn't need it. I can wear a parka and not hit my sleeve with my hunting set up.

·
NAASP
14,399 Posts
Usually thet means DL.

Though I do have sleeve adjusters on my thick wool coat. I really haven't seen a issue when I don't adjust them.

·
Registered
13,077 Posts
If it is your coat sleeve, try a simple arm guard or even better, a Camo Skinz arm covering from Cabelas; they are awesome! If it is your chest area, a binocular bino system usually holds my coat in close to my chest and out of the way of the string.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts