Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Enhanced Mutant
6,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a hard time with hitting right of where I am aiming. I am new to this stuff and I am not totally consistant but I am most often right of where I am aiming. I am Left handed so it is like you righty guys hitting left if that helps. I think it is that my rear anchor point is too far out but I don't know how to comfortably correct this since it is my natural anchor point second finger in corner of mouth. I am not sure what is going on and need a guru to line me up better. I am shooting off the shelf arrows are flying just great.

·
Registered
20,291 Posts
biggame -

Standard Caveat - we can't see what you're doing from here.

Quick test - barrel sight a few arrows. Look down the arrow before you shoot and make sure it's pointing to the center on the target. Then let fly. If the arrow hit's center, it's you. (Wand shoot can help to correct the problem.) If it's aiming center, but still flirts off to the right, you might be in need of new (?stiffer?) arrows. Or you can try a quick fix and build out your arrow plate and see if that helps.

Viper1 out.

·
Enhanced Mutant
6,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks I will try that. The arrows seem to be flying good in terms of no wobble but they might be a little weak on spine. I can cut them back. they are way long right now so I have a lot of room there. I will try what you said and see if I can get them in the center. I love the advice available at this site.

·
Enhanced Mutant
6,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yup. I have tested it many times I am left handed and left eye dominant. good call though.

·
Registered
513 Posts
biggame.............It may be you will need to cant the top limb to the left a little more. This will move the arrow to where it is right in line with the eye.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Sometimes, depending on how you hold your drawing hand, you can end up with it separated from your face at anchor without actually perceiving it as such.

If you draw straight back and your lower thumbknuckle is obstructed by your cheekbone you might find you're pulling, in your case, to the left a little to clear the cheek then not getting the anchor back into the face. This will cause you to cross shoot so to speak and the arrows will consistently strike to the right of where you're focusing.

Consequently, you might try initially drawing along a lower line below the cheekbone and then bringing the drawing hand back up underneath to your anchor point and see if that doesn't improve things for you. Beware that if your bowarm is collapsing during this maneuver you might actually see worse results so you probably need to pay a little more attention to pushing towards the target as well so you don't pull yourself off the mark and end up shooting high or elsewhere.

Please let me know if you see any improvement or not and thanks in advance.

·
Enhanced Mutant
6,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You guys are the best. I did cant the upper limb a little more to bring things in tighter and it helped a lot. I am trying to focus on not having that string away from my face since the limb cant worked a lot I will also try and make sure that I am not going around my face as well. I am going to keep at this until I can post a photo of a deer taken with my recurve.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Bow canting can certainly work in many instances. The main problem with it is it can also be hard to reproduce from shot to shot or on the first shot, which is why I gave it up some time ago.

I don't really cant the bow at all anymore. If I need to in order to clear a limb or something, I bend from the waist to cant the bow so that relatively speaking my upper body and the bow remain in a more or less constant attitude.

However, whatever works for you should do fine. And being able to utilize a bow cant probably doesn't hurt to include in your overall repetoire of skills. However, if it's utilized to correct shooting form, it might not solve the problem but merely conceal it for a time.

·
Enhanced Mutant
6,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am going to try and figure out why the string is away from my face when the bow is upright. I am a little more comfortable with the bow a little tilted I do feel more in line with things. I will just have to keep at till I get the distance of the string from the face solved. knowing the problem is only the first step in correcting it.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Another thing I might suggest for your consideration is pulling past the anchor as you feel it.

Sometimes one tends to try to see the anchor even though that's impossible without a mirror, but one tries nevertheless and this can cause things to get separated a little because the head moves in relation to the arrow trying to see the anchor, rather like turning your head to see the back of your head.

One way around this is to focus intently on the mark while pulling past what would be the seeing point if it could be done and releasing then. It's a very difficult concept to explain in words but it basically means you keep your head from moving during the draw and release by keeping it pointed dead toward the target no matter what.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Biggame,

Here's one you might not want to try. I got a beautiful new longbow. I'm a gapper and it shot 4 inches to the left at 20 yards - right handed. At 30 it was about 8. I tried everything I could think of - weak to heavy spined woods and every aluminum I could find. Nothing would work even though I got good arrow flight with a number of woods and aluminums. I ended up shooting heavy woods thinking that eventually my instinctive abilities would take over and correct things. Three years and 8 big game animals later I shot a Mt goat in CO - picked the spot I wanted to hit and moved the arrow over 4 inches and actually aimed at the shoulder blade - let her fly - hit the spot I originally picked. 9th animal that I missed seeing the beautiful flight of the arrow on the way to the picked spot. I vowed when I got home I'd fix it.

When I got home I took the strike plate and rest off. Grabbed a file and started filing on the window until my longbow approached center shot. To find out if I took enough material off I just shot it at 20 yds. When it hit where I was looking I rubbed Superglue on the filed area with my finger. It doesn't look like new, but it shoots where I look. Wish I had done that when I got it.

Bowmania

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Arrows hitting right

Two things:
1. check out the information on form by typing "shooting form" or "form" in the search box.
2. go to my web site at:

http://home.earthlink.net/~baswb/archery/

just click on the url.
You can put it in your faveroits folder if you wish for further refference.

On the links page, there is a web site which has very good articles on release, both fingers and mechanical release.

read them. good luck

1 - 14 of 14 Posts