Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going hog hunting (without dogs) in florida this coming january, and have never been. I am looking for general advice on the subject, plus what you guys think about their toughness. I am shooting a 60# mamba with cedar arrows and snuffers. I draw 26" so i'm probably shooting more like 53# or so. I wonder if that will be enough.

My favorite way to hunt deer is still hunting, but i don't know if that is the best approach for pigs. I hear their sense of smell blows a deer's away, but their hearing and sight lacks. Let me know your thoughts.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am wanting to do the same thing, but have an even lower draw weight. I asked around and the general consensus is that a well-placed shot with a SHARP head will bring them down. I was also advised to use a two-blader to increase penetration due to my low draw weight.

Matt

·
Registered
151 Posts
armymedic.2 said:
I am going hog hunting (without dogs) in florida this coming january, and have never been. I am looking for general advice on the subject, plus what you guys think about their toughness. I am shooting a 60# mamba with cedar arrows and snuffers. I draw 26" so i'm probably shooting more like 53# or so. I wonder if that will be enough.

My favorite way to hunt deer is still hunting, but i don't know if that is the best approach for pigs. I hear their sense of smell blows a deer's away, but their hearing and sight lacks. Let me know your thoughts.
I have lived, hunted and fished in Florida since 1959. I have hunted deer and hogs with and without Dogs. Our Florida Hogs can be tough and cranky. They can be tough to kill and it frequently takes more then one arrow to drop one. ( With the dogs, you can sometimes get more then one shot). This all depends on the size and temperment of the hogs. Without Dogs, I hunt from a stand a few feet off the ground. Just high enough to be out of reach. They can get upset when they think you are the source of the arrow sticking in their chest.

I have friends that do very well hunting from a low stand over a feed lot on their property. That seems to be the best method if your not using dogs. Hunt over a feed lot or a very active or rooted up area. They use 60# plus compounds and use great care to keep their shots at close range and into the goody basket. I have taken a few small hogs under 75 pounds with My 50# Ben Pearson Hunter Recurve using old bear broadheads with bleeder inserts. There may be a better broadhead but I haven't used many different types. I would advise you to pick your shots carefully and you could bring home the ham.

Another point.. our hogs don't always taste great straight out of the woods. It is common for us to catch them with dogs and pen them up. We feed them corn and stale donuts till they sweeten up.

Other common methods used here are catch dogs and killing the hog with a spear or cutting the hogs throat with a sharp knife while the dogs hold them.
Yea... ya gotta have hog dogs you can trust..

Another thing, we have four seasons in Florida. HOT... real HOT... Hot Hot and Christmas. Bring plenty of fluids when you go out in the Florida woods and have a ice cooler close by if you do take a hog.( And you can lay in the cooler and hunt from there if it is HOT HOT ) Don't drive around here with a hog or deer on your truck hood. Our temps can be anywhere from the high 80s to the 30s that time a year depending on cold fronts. best of luck.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
In addition to what's been posted thus far, don't shoot a hog like a deer. Keep your shot low and tight to the front leg, preferably slightly quartering away. Hogs carry their vitals much further forward than a deer. Aim accordingly.

·
Registered
151 Posts
J. Wesbrock said:
In addition to what's been posted thus far, don't shoot a hog like a deer. Keep your shot low and tight to the front leg, preferably slightly quartering away. Hogs carry their vitals much further forward than a deer. Aim accordingly.
That's good advise... The perfect shot as I was taught, is to go in behind the front leg and out between the shoulders in the front chest. Our larger boars are loaded with tough fat and mat from the rib area forward. I have hit them with a broadhead and had the arrow bounce off. They often don't bleed like a deer because of the fat and they can be hard to recover in the thick Florida palmettos,swamp heads.and pine woods. That's another time when Hog dogs are used. (for Recovery). They also use the dogs to get the hogs up and moving during the day. They are more active and move around more in the cooler night air.

Wounded hogs are likely to charge if you are on the blood trail and walk up on him. I was chased by a big sow when I was a kid and I won't ever forget it. The underbrush is thick here and a hog can be a few feet away and you won't see him till he is next to you. It's not a bad idea to carry a firearm with you.. If allowed...

My visiting Northern hunting friends tell me Florida offers unique challenges because of the thick foilage , heat , Bugs, Snakes , bugs, bugs that bite. I always keep ointment for Chiggers , ring worms. Don't leave home without bug spray or something to repel our Skeeters. Dogs in the Florida woods are subject to all types of illness, infestations and snakebites. Most of us natives don't wear snake boots or leggins but its not a bad idea. Sound like fun , Don't it?

·
Registered
151 Posts
oh....... 12 ga shotgun w/00 or 357 mags plus are the backup tools of choice with my group. Headshots always if possible. Sorry for the long post

·
Registered
11,784 Posts
You have plenty of draw weight and such. You should be fine. Just keep your wits, and bone up on hog anatomy. If you can, go to a slaughterhouse and check out a hog being butchered to get a realtime view of the anatomy. It'll help bring it into perspective.
I watched and helped my family butcher hogs since I was a kid, so drawing on that experience helped me enormously when differentiating between swine and ungulate anatomy as it relates to bowhunting.
Additionally, go this time to hunt and maybe kill a hog. That way you can focus on how to hunt hog and not focus on results.
Hogs are trig varmints and aren't to be underestimated by still hunters.

·
Registered
207 Posts
hog hunting

I know my signiture does not say it but i shoot a bob lee stick 28"@50# and have taken 7 pigs to date with it.... as mentioned above know the anatomy..... I tend to not shoot the Quartering away shots for the already mentioned reasons above... you might penetrate the (shield) on one side but the far side shoulder/shield will put stop to a arrow after its hit that course layer of calus... which will only bleed if the arrow doesnt back out and let that shield cover the wound.. if you are comfortable with your shot, i try for a low low shot about 2 inches from the bottom of the chest as tight as you can to the shoulder... makes quick work of the heart and will leave you a nice trail to recover him.

as far as there sense of smell.. its second to none, use his poor sight to your advantage.. they only can pick up movement, they dont pick up on out of place objects like deer, stalkings the only way to go!!!!

have fun and good luck!!!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks!

That is soome great advise, and i really do appreciate it. I did not know to aim low and tight to the shoulder. I had actaully heard quartering away, but was thinking like a deer hit the gut up through but lungs. Thanks very much, and i will let you know what happens- Don't worry that i am worried about getting a hog, if i wanted that i would just blast one with a rifle! not that there is anything wrong with that:embara:

·
Registered
207 Posts
dont get me wrong... i think that a quartering away shot is a great kill shot on a pig and will take them down quick.. but i tend to never have much blood to follow..... its a bit harder to hit him where i mentioned but if you can do it i thank its the best bet!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts