Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently received permission to hunt a 160 acre pine hardwood lumber farm in South Carolina. I have dug holes and buried mash in multiple areas, and have the pigs coming in regularly. Now I am trying to pattern them for late afternoon hunting. My problem is I cant brainstorm an idea to hang my feeders so they can nudge them and drain all my corn in one visit. Do you guys have any original ideas to put up a feeder. They are the 6.5 gallon drum Moultrie feeders that hang like a bucket. Any help would be great, thank you.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Do you mean drain the corn when they bump the bucket or the tree? If it's the bucket, you can just tie a rope to the bucket and run the rope over a tree branch and hoist it higher than the hogs can reach.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
55 gallon drum

Drill a few holes big enough for the corn to fall out of, then fill it and chain it to a tree. As they root and bump it, the corn will fall out the holes. They have to work for it, last longer, and makes them hang around long enough for the shot.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Drill a few holes big enough for the corn to fall out of, then fill it and chain it to a tree. As they root and bump it, the corn will fall out the holes. They have to work for it, last longer, and makes them hang around long enough for the shot.
That's good advice. 55 gallon drums run $8.50 here. Even better, you could take the spinner/timer off your bucket feeder and put it on a 55 gal. It'll last at least a month or two.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
diesel

As it warms up spike the ground in wallows with a few squirts of diesel. Not a lot...like one ounce in an entire wallow. The bugs will force them to wallow in the dieseled areas. It keeps the bugs off of them. And will bring them out in the day time.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Feedeers

How long will that 6.5 gallon drum last? I got the cheap moultrie feeders because they cost 30$ a piece with the motor and everything. Also where Im hunting is extremely thick not enough clearing for a tripod. Will it atleast last a week or two at one to 2 times a day?

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
use 55 gallon drum lot harder to nudge use small holes more work takes longer

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
How long will that 6.5 gallon drum last? I got the cheap moultrie feeders because they cost 30$ a piece with the motor and everything. Also where Im hunting is extremely thick not enough clearing for a tripod. Will it atleast last a week or two at one to 2 times a day?
I have a 6.5 gal moultrie feeder that I use on a hog trap. It is my experience that with two feedings of eight or ten seconds each per day, the feeder uses a bag a week. Not sure about other areas, but in my experience on the land I do most of my hunting near Sulphur Springs, sitting over a feeder in the morning is a waste of time. I'd recommend setting your feeder to go off for ten seconds once a day, about an hour before dark. This should last two weeks, maybe a little less. However, like others have said, a 55 gallon drum really is the easiest way to go. If you have a ladder, you can wire the barrel to the side of a tree above the hog's reach. You'll be refilling the feeder every two months instead of every two weeks. Good luck! Hog huntins a blast!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts