Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The girlfriend and I are driving to Texas from Minnesota for our first ever hog hunt and I am asking for some suggestions from you experienced hog hunters on what broadhead to bring? I know I need a COC head and i was thinking Slick Trick Vipertrick. Anyone ever take a hog with them? Help please!

P.s. I'm shooting a Hoyt Carbon Spyder at 70# with Easton FMJ arrows

·
Registered
103 Posts
The last hog I killed with a bow was with a Rocket Meat Seeker 1 1/2 inch cut out of my old diamond Justice 60lber. Dropped him within 20 yards with a shot through the shoulders. Ive killed A LOT of hogs, mostly with a 22 to the head and until you get into the bigger boar hogs there isn't much of a shield to worry about. Just make sure the blades are sharp and the shot placement is right and youll be fine.

·
Devil's Advocate
923 Posts
Guy i worked with back in SC swears by DRT fixed blades. single bevel. considering the amount of pigs he's whacked id agree.

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
We go down to Texas every spring and hunt javelina and pigs. Our group has tried all kinds of heads. All have worked, some better then others. We have just become used to having to follow blood trails.Some times short and some times a long ways. This year some of us tried the Hypo's . We generally all shoot fixed heads. And they amazed all of us. Javi's and pigs were down with in sight almost every time. 250 lb pig made it the farthest, about 40 yards. Still like the fixed blades myself, but they flat out worked.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436746407.550976.jpg

I'm a big fan of the new Magnus Black Hornets. I don't think I'll shoot another broadhead again. These are perfect in my book. They worked on this hog!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436746505.666181.jpg

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
Ive used a nap spitfire on this hog did a number on it and very good blood trail.............

Attachments

·
Registered
12,995 Posts
I've taken a lot of hogs with STs...but my favorite hog head is the Exodus. They are absolutely devastating--super tough, big cut, excellent penetration, and the edge retention is unbelievable. I have even put one head through three different hogs on the same day, without resharpening in between; it still looked brand new. Here's a cool pic of one hog I took with the Exodus, captured from a video.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts