Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
13,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever shot a hog between the eyes, with an arrow? I had one facing me at 20 yards last year and I was tempted to try it. I saw Tim Wells do it on a Grizzly on Relentless Pursuits. But I chickened out and shot him through the chest. He died, but I am still wanting to try it.

Anyone else ever done it?

· Registered
205 Posts
I recently saw a video on texasbowhunters.com where one was shot between the eyes. It was an old wound that the hunter found after he shot the pig at some later date. Might work might not. I wouldnt risk it. I have shot quit a few (smaller ones) just below the ear and they pile up DRT. Look on texasboars.com for hog anatomy.

· Registered
13,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I recently saw a video on texasbowhunters.com where one was shot between the eyes. It was an old wound that the hunter found after he shot the pig at some later date. Might work might not. I wouldnt risk it. I have shot quit a few (smaller ones) just below the ear and they pile up DRT. Look on texasboars.com for hog anatomy.
Just below the ear, huh? Cool. I might have to try it.

· Registered
933 Posts
In 1990 my best friend borrowed my bow to go on a hunt adjusted the peep dialed in the sights and went to the wods, now i havent killed anything with this bow yet his first morning to the stand he met a hog about 110# at 15 yards drilled him between the eyes a 90 gr muzzy on a beman with outcerts killed him dead.. me I like to shoot them in the neck just between the neck and jaw with a swacker cuts them like a machete...

· Gold Supporting Archer
11,611 Posts
just below the ear and a bit forwards about an inch,,,,it's a brain shot.....drops 'em in their tracks like a spine shot.....lots of squeling though.

· Registered
13,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just below the ear and a bit forwards about an inch,,,,it's a brain shot.....drops 'em in their tracks like a spine shot.....lots of squeling though.
Is that right under the eye?

· Registered
13,132 Posts
I wish I had the photo-One of my buddies shot one charging (100-125#s) him right between the eys at about 10'. 60# Bow. The Hog stopped dead in his tracks, shook his head snapping the arrow off at the head. My brother was next to him & sent one through his chest & when he turned the head shooter put another through his chest & he dropped about 20 yds away. I had a close up pic & you could see the head-1/2 way in the skull & dead center between the eyes, a 3 blade. I just can't find it...
They can be grumpy enough without trying to P-- em off.

· Registered
2,514 Posts
ive always heard that right below and a little behind the ear was the best shot but i always see people shoot the behind the shoulder?
My buddy shot a doe right between the eyes and it skipped off her forehead and sent the arrow way up in the air.

· Registered
181 Posts
I did it...........

All I can say is if your gonna try it make sure you use an inexpensive arrow!! My buddy & I were talking about it one night b4 a hunt. The next morning on the way to my stand, I walked up on a sleeping boar about 200-250 lbs. since we get to hunt deer & turkeys in exchange for hog removal I decided to wake him up.......BAD IDEA!! The hog was facing me & I got within 15 ft of him, drew back my PSE & let her rip. I hit him 1in. left of center about 2in above his eye. The hog jumped up thrashed his head & took off w/ my arrow.....My new Easton Axis w/ new G5 striker. Not to mention while thrashing he hit the arrow against a tree & broke my new Luminok in half. The arrow was still in his skull goin down the trail w/ not a drop of blood anywhere. I never found him & yes I learned a valuable lesson.

· Registered
13,496 Posts
In 1990 my best friend borrowed my bow to go on a hunt adjusted the peep dialed in the sights and went to the wods, now i havent killed anything with this bow yet his first morning to the stand he met a hog about 110# at 15 yards drilled him between the eyes a 90 gr muzzy on a beman with outcerts killed him dead.. me I like to shoot them in the neck just between the neck and jaw with a swacker cuts them like a machete...
are you alright? loan your bow & let him change what he wants.thats no friend thats a leach.......

· Registered
12,878 Posts
if you dont like the squealing, don't i wouldn't recommend you NOT do it...

it's fun though, killed a few that way, i hate tracking them late in the evening.

· Registered
13,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wouldnt risk it.
I’ve done it twice since that post. Both dropped right there, and they’re both on my YouTube Channel, Lusk Archery Adventures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.