Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what are the ins and outs of this sight ?
and what do you guys and gals think let me know

·
Registered
10,965 Posts
I have never owned one but had read alot on them.

PROS: acuurate,easy to work, people seem to like them better outdoors than indoors

CONS: the COST(lol), and people say it takes alot to get use to them, but once your use to them they really like them.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Ins and outs

EXPENSIVE. If I could offord a Hoggernaut I would. One of my friends got one of them and they are completely awesome. I would love to have one nothing but good to say about them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just got one the other day. I think this is the best sight out for shooting outdoors. I will put it threw the test in Redding.

·
Registered
146 Posts
It takes few days to get use to make corrections (some screws works just as ones on ordinary sights, but some in opposite way).
The best thing is you should not move your ancor point when changing the distances. It is simply the best of what I tryed in my life!

·
Registered
10,685 Posts
The Hoggernaut is the only sight out there that would tempt me to switch from CBE.
It is a very impressive well made sight !

Sag.

·
Registered
8,552 Posts
expensive?

Sights like this such as CBE and Shrewd come without the scope, do they not? So is the Hogg that much more if it includes the scope?

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hoggernaut

great info guys thanks
yeh before you spend that kind of money guys got to read alot of good thing about the product

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
The Hoggernaut is one of the greatest pieces of archery equipment ever made, i had one and had little financial trouble last year, doctors bill for the baby, and had to get rid of it, i will be getting another soon though, many are right take a sure loc supreme and shrewd scope with lens and up pin, and i am talking brand spanking new average joe customer buying it, when added up the cost is very similar. Once you get it figured out it is so simple to use you will be amazed, and durable is not a word i would use more like indestructable, the greatest thing is your anchor point never changes because once you set it in at 20 yards ( thats what i use) your vertical movement of the scope is locked down and not moved from that point, the rest is all done in the barrel of the scope and the movement of the prisms, i would highly consider this setup if i were you, just a hint though i found it impossible to shoot with both eyes open!

·
Registered
344 Posts
The best outdoor sight for FITA

The Hoggernaut have had some problems with fog in heavy rain, but Spot Hogg has done alot to solve this problem. I use a shield on my Hoggernaut when it is raining and then there is no problems with fog.
I absolutly love the fact that I have the same anchor at 30m as at 90m.
It also allows me to shoot a very heavy arrow without any problems with the scope getting in the way of the arrow or vanes.This year I am trying to shoot my X10 410 with 120 grains at the point. The arrow is more heavy but it should do better in cross wind.
Also the Hoggernaut is a little more heavy than other sights. I remove weight from my back doinker when I go outdoor with the Hoggernaut.
Indoor this sight has no special advantages. Outdoor - for me there was no turning back when I had tried the Hoggernaut.
Also I can say that Spot Hogg (Kris Christensen) has given my wife and I the best possible service.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
Would someone enlighten me and say what does this sight do so you don't have to change anchor on 30 thru 90m distances???

·
Registered
344 Posts
The scope is not moved up and down when going to another distance.
The image is moved in the scope instead.

Here is a picture with the Hoggernaut set to close distance

Attachments

·
Registered
344 Posts
Here it is set to far far away distance. As far as 150 meter
Because of two lenses the image is moved "up" and "down" in the scope and the scope itself does not have to be moved. Therefore one is having the same anchor at all distances because the scope does not move in relation to the peep.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
So, with having 2 lenses in, do you need a clarifier for, say, 6X power? or at any power?
In any case, it sure is a neat feature, but I didn't yet see a whole lot of pros shooting it. D.Trillus, for example, shoots in the 1400s with a usual Copper John ANTs and Specialty Archery scope...

·
Registered
344 Posts
I know that many uses a clarifier with the Hoggernaut. I do not. I see fine with a normal peep.
I have not yet done a 1400 but I hope that the Hoggernaut will help me get there.( I did a 1393 in practice last summer) Then I will return here and post the fact that the Hoggernaut can shoot 1400+.
The Hoggernaut is still a "new" sight (about 3 years) and I know a few shooters that waits to get the Hoggernaut untill all the small design problems has been fixed.
All new sights have small problems. I have seen 3 different versions of the Copper John ANTS. Now with the evolution2 the ANTS finally seems to be ok. I now use the ANTS evolution2 sight for indoor spots.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Eric, I'm thinking what I can do to bribe you....I'm thinking that if you buy lunch at work a couple times this week, I won't tell your wife that you're consdering this sight and what it costs!!! :tongue:

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
Danish archer said:
I know that many uses a clarifier with the Hoggernaut. I do not. I see fine with a normal peep.
I have not yet done a 1400 but I hope that the Hoggernaut will help me get there.( I did a 1393 in practice last summer) Then I will return here and post the fact that the Hoggernaut can shoot 1400+.
The Hoggernaut is still a "new" sight (about 3 years) and I know a few shooters that waits to get the Hoggernaut untill all the small design problems has been fixed.
All new sights have small problems. I have seen 3 different versions of the Copper John ANTS. Now with the evolution2 the ANTS finally seems to be ok. I now use the ANTS evolution2 sight for indoor spots.
So, for like $540.00 do you get sight scope and both lenses? If that is so, then it in the end isn't that expensive. Ok, you can get a scope with a lens and CJ ANTS altogether for less than $400 (some of the scopes with lenses work just fine, and are less than $100) but you don't get that hoggernaut's feature. Is it worth the extra $200-$250?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts