Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I am starting to get into public hunting in Texas. it seems the most affordable, reliable way to be able to hunt whenever I want, and it only costs $48 for a year round permit. This is perfect for hoghunting, which is legal all year round here in Texas. one of the closest public hunting areas from me is Lake Tawakoni. It has over 34,000 acres of public hunting land. I drove out last weekend just to check it out and found the two entrance areas on the largest hunting area (there are three total around the lake). I didn't do much scouting because it was late in the day and getting dark. My question is...and this will more than likely be Texas specific...have you hunted out there? If so, where are the best spots for hogs? Did you see a lot of hunters? Did you scout out areas and put trail cams up to get scouting info? Just trying to get some info regarding this area before I go out there to scout and hunt. Any information is greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Is that Dallas/Fort Worth district COE land? I hunt Lake Wright Patman COE.
We dont have to have the 48$ permit. If you do for shur have to have the permit, check your regs. You might have to wear hunters orange all season.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure if it's COE land...but it is near DFW...what does COE stand for? It's public hunting land provided by the TWP. And yeah, I was wondering about the hunter orange being worn all year. I'll have to give them a call and find out.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
I don't think that Tawakoni is COE land, nor is it a COE impoundment, from what I can find.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Public land in TX is VERY tough. For such a large state they offer virtually no land. 34,000 can be overhunted quick, if hogs are there they will be nearly nocturnal. Not impossible but very difficult. Best of luck

·
Registered
364 Posts
One tip if you aren't real familiar with hogs.... If they are there YOU WILL know it. They will bed down in literally the thickest cover available. Don't get discouraged, I went years without my first public land hog (I was going about it wrong).

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One tip if you aren't real familiar with hogs.... If they are there YOU WILL know it. They will bed down in literally the thickest cover available. Don't get discouraged, I went years without my first public land hog (I was going about it wrong).
How were you going about it incorrectly? So I know what NOT to do :)

·
Registered
364 Posts
In my experience pigs will only pattern if readily available food and water is nearby and hunting pressure is very low. Otherwise, they stay on the move and become nocturnal. Don't expect to see them feeding on open hillsides or senderos like you see on TV (unless private). Once you've found hog sign look for beds and areas they rub against trees/brush etc. (will have mud low on trunk). ALWAYS approach likely areas with wind in your favor and move very very slow. If the cover is thick enough they might remain holed up in it as you are within mere yards, especially if it means they have to bust out into the open to get away. Use binos even in thick cover to evaluate the shadows, I've walked within 10 feet of sleeping pigs. That being said, unless they are very young and alone they rarely make the same mistake twice so you need to make it count. Set up near their bedding area and try and catch them in transition it's the only sure way you won't pressure them out of the area.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Also, hog love to root where the soil is moist and likely come down to the lake to drink unless other water sources are around. If you confirm hog sign but no bedding areas they likely move in at night and retreat to private land before or at sunup. Find the perimeter fence (hopefully barbed) and you will likely find a trail and hair on the barbs where the move under fence, another great place to set up, keep in mind that pig needs to go down NOW or it WILL retreat to private land, not a great option for bow but a 12 gauge slug does wonders for anchoring a pig.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Also, if word is out on the Internet that a public land area holds hogs you can assure its overhunted and nearly impossible to be successful. You either have to work very hard or very smart.....think outside the box when finding public land, I'm not sure how much BLM, COE, USFS land is available around Dallas but your best bet is talking to wardens/rangers etc. be respectful and show them you are an ethical sportsman looking for new opportunities not just in it for blood lust.... Good luck and post pics

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Also, if word is out on the Internet that a public land area holds hogs you can assure its overhunted and nearly impossible to be successful. You either have to work very hard or very smart.....think outside the box when finding public land, I'm not sure how much BLM, COE, USFS land is available around Dallas but your best bet is talking to wardens/rangers etc. be respectful and show them you are an ethical sportsman looking for new opportunities not just in it for blood lust.... Good luck and post pics
Chris, thank you so much for all that useful information!! It is much appreciated! I will do what I can to scout out some areas and try my luck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts