Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard about a few hog sightings between Richmond and Raleigh. Generally they are much further east, but does anyone else know about these sightings. Looking for an opportunity to try for some over christmas.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I live in kinston and have heard nothing of any hogs! Please let me know where they are!!!

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
There are a few here and there, but not too wide spread. The places that I have seen or heard about them are on private land.

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
johnston county a few in bladen, caswell county are the counties i know of .there are actual wild boar in the mountain regions.the local hogs here are feral pigs mixed with russians.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I hunt public land in Wise County Va. Jefferson National Forrest ,And they shut down a whole section that we call the glades( kinda a swampy area) for almost the entire deer season. Hoggs tore it up in there, from what i heard they was trying to trap them! I hope they put a season on them,or put them on the nuisance list!

·
Registered
63 Posts
They're around, mostly on private land. Lots in extreme SE NC and of course in the mountains, but that's not between Raleigh and Richmond. There are some in the Neuse River Drainage east of Raleigh and a lot in the Roanoke River drainage in NE NC. Try website for Northeastern Hunting (around Ahoskie), or just google wild hogs hunting nc. There used to be quite a few in parts of Caswell County, NC, and in Halifax County, VA (where I live). Haven't seen any sign of them in a while, but there are still a few around. SC is better for hogs, except for a few spots in NC. My son and I are lined up for a hunt with a place on the Neuse River drainage. I'll let you know how we do.
Steve

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hunt public land in Wise County Va. Jefferson National Forrest ,And they shut down a whole section that we call the glades( kinda a swampy area) for almost the entire deer season. Hoggs tore it up in there, from what i heard they was trying to trap them! I hope they put a season on them,or put them on the nuisance list!
they are on the list for VA. No season and the VDGIF notes sacttered populations accross the state but they don;t say where outside of back bay. I heard about Wise, that was one area of interest, also Culpepper/Lake Anna Area.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
They're around, mostly on private land. Lots in extreme SE NC and of course in the mountains, but that's not between Raleigh and Richmond. There are some in the Neuse River Drainage east of Raleigh and a lot in the Roanoke River drainage in NE NC. Try website for Northeastern Hunting (around Ahoskie), or just google wild hogs hunting nc. There used to be quite a few in parts of Caswell County, NC, and in Halifax County, VA (where I live). Haven't seen any sign of them in a while, but there are still a few around. SC is better for hogs, except for a few spots in NC. My son and I are lined up for a hunt with a place on the Neuse River drainage. I'll let you know how we do.
Steve
Thanks. Caswell got my interest. I was on a guided hunt there last year and saw tracks. I asked and they said there some around, but lots more closer to VA (martinville, Danville.) I have been hearing about them scattered around Dinwiddie, Prince George and even extreme SE Chesterfield/Charles city. All of that make sense given that it is relatively rural, swampy, and has a looong history of hog farming. I cannot beleive there are no feral hogs in places like Isle of Wright, suffolk and Cheasapeke! That is the home of Smithfield ham and free range hogs since colonial days! Anyways, also hear of a few around Raleigh, but again no pics posted or proof of life so to speak. One was also hit by a car in traffic on 15-501 in Durham just before chapel hill. Thats Orange county which abuts Caswell so........

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
We've got some out here in western Goochland and Northern Cumberland County(45 Min west of Richmond). Due to Illegal Hunting area.....Hogs were transported there for Under the table Hog hunts, but the hogs started Escaping and the VDGIF busted them for it. But a Few are still around, and Hear of people seeing them. Though I've never layed Eyes on any yet!

VA

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
they are on the list for VA. No season and the VDGIF notes sacttered populations accross the state but they don;t say where outside of back bay. I heard about Wise, that was one area of interest, also Culpepper/Lake Anna Area.
Back Bay has a ton of them. My old man and I drew for Back Bay deer hunting and were able to get the island draw...which was real nice. I couldn't imagine the amount of pigs running around on that island and in that area in general.

We went on opening day of firearms and I think more pigs were shot than deer. The park officials were very happy when each pig was brought in for inspection.

There's also a bunch of snakes on that island...yyyyyuck. One of my most vivid memories of hunting was stepping on the head of a cottonmouth that day through the tall grass. Couldn't see it until it was too late. Talk about an experience.

I think Chesapeak etc. are void or not fileld with hogs is because the Back Bay area is relatively cut-off due to civilization growth.

I know there are some areas in the green zone of Va Beach that have them outside of Back Bay and I know the southern portions of Chesapeake connect with that at some point - but that area is getting built up as well. I always thought if the hogs were going to pass through, it'd be that stretch around Stumpy Lake and to the south to the NC border.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts