Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just watched Wild Extremes and saw Tammy have her bow on hanger. As the buck came in I kept thinking, "When are you going to get your bow off the hanger?" She used the grunt call before she got the bow off the hanger. Anyhow made me think of the question...holding or hanging?

If you are out for a half day hunt (4hours) what do you do most of the time hold or hang? I find myslef holding my bow 90% of the time just because I like to be ready. I have a 30"ata bow so it is very comfortable for me to hold on to. Even with a hanger I will tend to hold it. What you think and why?

·
Registered
16,024 Posts
I always keep my bow in my hands and I am ready to draw whenever the time comes. I wasted to many chances in my early years and feel most comfortable this way. At the very least it's lying in my lap and I have my hand on the grip.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
I leave mine on the hanger with an arrow nocked....untill the time comes.I've tried holding it at times but usually end up bumping it on something that makes noise.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
hang

I hang my bow untill "Prime Time". The last hour of daylight I lay it across my knees. The hood of my 2 piece Fuse quiver lays on my right knee. The other end lays on my left. One of the main reasons I use a 2 piece quiver.
In the mornings I usualy keep my bow at the ready around first light, and then from about 7:45am-8-45am.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I pretty much hold mine all the time.If I'm in the woods before daylight I hang it just until shooting time starts.
For me too....i often intend to hang it but for some reason I can't leave it on the hanger.

Don't use the WB as of last year but it shure was handy for hanging on to the bow

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
I never hang my bow. Never! I also prefer to sit rather than stand when shooting, and don't stand unless i have too.
Hunted an honest to god 200" whitetail this year in Missouri/Iowa border. Had him run under a guy at 20 yards and stop. Buck of many lifetimes standing there, and his bow was hanging. When he reached slowly for his bow, the buck took off. He'll have nightmares the rest of his life.
I've been suprised too many times by bucks, so my bow never leaves my hand.

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
Hold it. I learned the hard way. Had two times where bucks snuck in on me and were right under me and the bow was on the hanger.....that was real smart of me.

·
Registered
954 Posts
With the extended realtree style hangers, I will hang my bow while I am standing as the bow is hanging right in front of my hand. If I sit, I always have the bow across my lap. I won't sit and hang the bow as I feel there is too much time and movement wasted if I have to stand quickly and reach for the bow.

·
Ya hey
1,437 Posts
hanging?

I use one of those holders that clamps onto the edge of the stand. That way it's right in front of me. I always stand to shoot, so I just slip it out and stand in one motion when the time comes. During prime time, I'm already standing with bow in hand though.

·
Guipago
3,090 Posts
I use one of those holders that clamps onto the edge of the stand. That way it's right in front of me. I always stand to shoot, so I just slip it out and stand in one motion when the time comes. During prime time, I'm already standing with bow in hand though.
+1

·
Registered
551 Posts
Hang mine, I'll drive back two miles and get mine hanger if I forget it. I hunted for years without one and don't know how I made it. I now own for hangers and they are place on the tree above each one of my stands.:wink:

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I hang mine. It is right next to my hand so there is little to no movement to get it.

·
fall at last
3,260 Posts
I hold mine, I have a Primos bow vest with a sling attached, makes it easy to be ready, very little movement and I'm ready to draw.

·
Classifieds Administrator
39,371 Posts
Leave mine hanging, maybe during that time frame where we think its "prime time" will I hold my bow. At any little sound I am ready to grab it though.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Realtree Hanger and Bow Holster!

I use a Realtree hanger that screws into the tree (I learned the hard way to use a smaller hanger to start a pilot hole) and is articulated, allowing you to position your bow pretty close at hand. The hook is also rubber coated to reduce noise. It is heavy (steel) and takes a moment to install but it allows me two free hands to glass, eat, pee, etc.

When I stand (either prime time, a deer in sight, etc.) I use a "holster" that attaches to your belt. It allows the bow to be rested close to draw position without having to hold a bow for extended periods. This may not sound like much, but I have an older longer ATA bow and with a quiver, stabilizer, etc. it can get heavy. If you have never tried one of these holsters, you should at least consider it. It positions the lower cam of your bow about mid thigh while standing.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts