Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for suggestions. I have an apex rigged for indoor spot shooting. I have a problem holding still. I draw back with no problem but when I anchor I start to shake. Is the poundage to much or would more holding weight help me get still? Or is it I just need to shoot more and get used to the weight? The bow itself is heavy, but without drawing it back I can hold it out and hold still just fine. Just looking for some ideas of what to start playin with.

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
This can come from a number of things.

Poundage, both draw weight and holding weight can come into play, but I think more often than not, when ones sight picture is moving a lot....your DRAW LENGTH is too long.

Apexes run long....usually 3/8-5/8 of an inch. And then if your cam is over rotated it could be more.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im pulling 56lbs right now. the bow doesnt move like its floating....i just shake when im holding and the circle in my scope gets jumpy. there are times when it doesnt do it but when it does it frustrating. sometimes it happens in the beginning of shooting and sometimes in the middle and end of shooting.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
from what you have described I am almost sure it is a DL issue!

·
Registered
632 Posts
Try relaxing your bow hand, and looking at the target instead of the sight. Don't overcontrol the sight, just look at the target and let the sight be there. Step one...put the sight on the target Step two...don't move it off the target(leave it there) It won't move off the target unless you move it. Relax and let it stay there. It really works. Do aiming drills where you don't shoot, just aim and let down.

Slowhandstl

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
One thing that I learned was to avoid all caffeine before I know I'm going to shoot, usually about 5 to 6 hours before. I'm not a coffee drinker but I love diet coke. So, I drink decaf diet coke instead and it has helped me tremendously with my holding. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
One thing that I learned was to avoid all caffeine before I know I'm going to shoot, usually about 5 to 6 hours before. I'm not a coffee drinker but I love diet coke. So, I drink decaf diet coke instead and it has helped me tremendously with my holding. Hope this helps.
thats funny if I don't drink 2 pots of coffee and smoke a pack of cigs before I hit the course I can't hold to save my life. maybe thats because I am detoxing or something. lol

in all seriousness the caffine thing is good advice.

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
True on the caffeine... But it actually sound like your dl is too short. Your symptoms are the same as mine when I shoot too short. I can still shoot good short, but will have twitches and an errant shot or two from being cramped up.

Too much bow weight could definately be the issue as well if u are not conditioned yet with a heavier rig. Shoot more to take care of that. Also try and stay flexible. It seems like when I'm tight my muscles are more jumpy/twitchy. I do a bit of jiu jitsu tho so usually I'm all stretched out lol.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I totally agree with this. I have had similar experience. Some people react like this to caffeine, and some people don't.

I have also found that one of the medications I take to control my Asthma causes me to shake.

·
Registered
552 Posts
thats funny if I don't drink 2 pots of coffee and smoke a pack of cigs before I hit the course I can't hold to save my life. maybe thats because I am detoxing or something. lol

in all seriousness the caffine thing is good advice.
Yes, you will probabaly be shaking from withdrawal symptoms as the caffeine wears off.

·
Registered
784 Posts
There are any number of reasons that your sight picture could be unsteady. One question I'd have to ask, does your backup bow have the same jumpy sight picture? If not set your drawlength on your #1 bow exactly the same as your back up - use a measuring tool to get it exact. Check the holding weight of each of the bows as well. If one holds better than the other try to set the ratio of holding weight to mass weight the same. For example let's say your conquest weighs 6.5 lbs as it is set up to shoot and you are holding 18lbs Divide 6.5/18 to get 36%. Now let's say your apex weighs 7.2 lbs and your holding 18 your percentage changes to 40%, so you need to increase the holding weight, or decrease the mass weight of the bow to get it to the same %. Once you know the % number and your correct draw length that you hold best at it makes it a lot easier to set up a target bow that will start with a pretty good sight picture.

Hope that helps - let me know if it doesn't make sense and I'll try to explain differently.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Yes, you will probabaly be shaking from withdrawal symptoms as the caffeine wears off.
that was a joke man! I don't really do that!

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
too short of a DL can cause a shakey sight picture. Also if the bow is not ballanced well and you are working hard to keep on the target you will fatigue more quickly. A tense bow hand or release hand could cause shake too. Lots of little things can have an effect.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I drink and smoke. I just don't really do it when I am shooting or getting ready for a shoot I am serious about!

·
Registered
5,900 Posts
When I am at the house practicing I usually drink a few beers while I am shooting and I shoot really good. Then whenever I go out around people I suck it up. I always drink a coke or Dr. Pepper before I shoot, so the caffeine thing may be something I should consider looking into. I guess the beers help calm me down and hold steady.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts