Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering, for target shooting (indoor and/or outdoor) is it better to have a high or low holding weight on a compound bow? I can see the pros and cons of both. What do you guys think?

Thanks, all, and good shooting!

·
Registered
24,950 Posts
i peronally like around 60#. i wouldnt shoot below 50#.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I think you will find that most serious target shooters use low let-off (65% or less) to get more holding weight without too high of draw weight.

·
NFAA
2,624 Posts
There is a relationship between the hold weight and the mass weight of the bow. I don't know if I can directly quantify it, but have found recently that a higher hold weight and a lighter mass has substantially reduced the movement in my site picture. All of this is related to draw length as well, as being off seems to magnify the problem.

In general terms, 65% is about the highest I would ever want and really closer to 55% seems to work the best so far....

SB

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
After spending some time w/ Ginger Hopwood, her suggestion to my wife was to stay at 35# Draw weight but go to 65% let-off instead of High.

Cant say her scores improved as a direct result of that or not since they tweaked a few other things as well but she likes 65% better. Say's she's not "chasing the X" and "can hold a whole lot steadier".

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
I definitely prefer 65% let off (or even less). I actually shot some of my best scores with a around 45-50% let off...good luck finding that anymore though...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts