Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made up a small half-gallon batch of the standard home brew formula to try out 2 days ago. There wasn't much of a reaction when I mixed/shook it all together but I've been letting it sit to out-gas with the cap on loosely as per the instructions anyway.

I went out to check it out this morning, gave it a sniff, popped the cap on momentarily and swirled it around in the jug... BOOM :mg:

The cap is nowhere to be found and the floor got a little wet... guess I'll leave it alone for a bit longer. :eek:

Does this stuff settle down at some point?

·
First name's Chad
692 Posts
It does take several days like the instructions state. I almost did the same thing, btw :embara:

I asked this question in another thread but didn't get any response. I wonder if anyone has had any clothes bleaching issues because of the hydrogen peroxide?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BradMc26 said:
Yes.

You need to leave the cap off at least 5-7 days for the offgassing to occur.
ok... thanks.

Regarding the bleaching of clothes: I'm pretty sure that when peroxide is used in a bleaching application that it's usually a higher concentration than the 3% brown bottle stuff. That and diluting it further with an equal part of distilled water should keep it from bleaching anything at all.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
could someone post the formula for this stuff?

·
Registered
372 Posts
my girlfriend uses peroxide to get blud out of clothes. doesnt bleach it and it works great. just a little fyi

·
Bowhunter
5,200 Posts
Rmucken1 said:
my girlfriend uses peroxide to get blud out of clothes. doesnt bleach it and it works great. just a little fyi
Yeah, that's what she tells you. If you really wanna know - her blonde hair used to be brunette!;)

·
registered archer
3,250 Posts
this is jerry /njs mixture
Ingredients for Scent Killer:

16 oz. (2 cups) Peroxide

16 oz. (2 cups) Distilled Water

¼ cup baking soda

1 oz. On non-scented shampoo

(Or adjust amounts to whatever size you make accordingly)

Let sit for several days (1 gallon milk jug works good with lid loose)
ill be trying it this weekend

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's the one I used also. I just doubled it to make a half gallon.

For the shampoo I used the Hunters Specialty bodywash/shampoo that Walmart sells... it's a light green color.

tcooll77 said:
this is jerry /njs mixture
Ingredients for Scent Killer:

16 oz. (2 cups) Peroxide

16 oz. (2 cups) Distilled Water

¼ cup baking soda

1 oz. On non-scented shampoo

(Or adjust amounts to whatever size you make accordingly)

Let sit for several days (1 gallon milk jug works good with lid loose)
ill be trying it this weekend

·
registered archer
3,250 Posts
ganderson i doubled it also and the total cost wasnt 5 buck:shade:

i added a 1/4 cup extra of baking soda :( on accident but then put a lil more water it should work good

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
RE: Formula

Scent Eliminator Formula:

Most important & dangerous ingredient is the Hydrogen Peroxide. This is not the stuff in the brown bottles bought at the drug store/supermarket. You need to go to a swimming pool supply store and buy a gallon of “Shock & Oxidizer”.

This is a 27% solution. Be very careful not to get any full strength solution on you or anything else you don’t want burned/ruined/whatever.

Again BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THE FULL STRENGTH PRODUCT!!!!! Rubber gloves and eye protection would be a good idea.

Or, you can use the drug store stuff with the realization that there is a stabilizer chemical added which has a faint odor that will dissipate quickly.

1.5 qt Hydrogen Peroxide (3% Formula)
To get the 3% from the 27% stuff, dilute with distilled water (5oz S&O to 43oz distilled water)

2 qts distilled water

½ cup of baking soda

1oz of unscented laundry detergent (I use Sports Wash)

Mix in a large container

Pour into an opaque (can’t see thru if you use the S&O) 1 gal container
Leave uncapped for several days (5-7 in my experience) to let the gases produced to vent off.

Store the “big batch” in a dark place as Hydrogen Peroxide deteriorates into water when exposed to sunlight.

Fill smaller opaque bottles to use in the field.

Oh yes, you can expect a white residue after using this recipe. It’s merely baking soda.

Q&A's

If we use hyd/oxi wont it bleach our camo and other gear?
Nope hyd/oxi only bleaches when it is combined with other chemicals found in hair bleach/coloring.

The 27% formula will damage most anything it comes into contact with, especially your skin, eyes, etc. The fumes are not safe either..

BE VERY SAFE & Good Luck.

·
Registered
567 Posts
With my track record with chemicals, and explosives, I think I will stick with the 3% stuff. I made some up 2 years ago, and shot my deer dead down wind from me. I was also wearing a Scent loc suit, but oh well. The 3% stuff seems to work pretty well.

·
Registered
529 Posts
My dog got into a skunk several years ago so I made up a batch of this stuff to bath him with. Only difference, I used 32 oz. of hydrogen peroxide instead of the recommended 16 oz of water and 16 oz. of peroxide. Figured it would work better in the undiluted state.

Well, it sure got rid of the skunk odor. But it had another effect that I hadn't planned on. When I started, my dog was black and white. The next morning he was brown and white. Didn't hurt the dog any but it took a little getting used to.

If I remember right, we bathed him twice and used a scrub brush to really rub it in.

It worked so well, I used that same mixture for several years while hunting and by just spraying it on, it never did cause any of my clothing to bleach out.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
>>>---WW----> said:
My dog got into a skunk several years ago so I made up a batch of this stuff to bath him with. Only difference, I used 32 oz. of hydrogen peroxide instead of the recommended 16 oz of water and 16 oz. of peroxide. Figured it would work better in the undiluted state.

Well, it sure got rid of the skunk odor. But it had another effect that I hadn't planned on. When I started, my dog was black and white. The next morning he was brown and white. Didn't hurt the dog any but it took a little getting used to.

If I remember right, we bathed him twice and used a scrub brush to really rub it in.

It worked so well, I used that same mixture for several years while hunting and by just spraying it on, it never did cause any of my clothing to bleach out.

Too funny.. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
373 Posts
now I don't feel so stupid

I had the same thing happen to me last week. I made a half gallon following jrerry's intsructions and let it set for 3 days with lid loose. I checked it and there was alot of foam on top so I closed the lid and shook it up and it exploded and I never did find the lid. I got soaking wet and I had to go change my underwear do to the loud bang.lol

·
Registered
567 Posts
>>>---WW----> said:

Watch out or PETA will be after you for animal testing.:mg:

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Bowhunterksb, LOL, that made me laugh!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe you can use the rest of the cover scent to get the stain out of your skivvies!!:D

Mark

·
registered archer
3,250 Posts
ya what g anderson said ..dont shake it :embara: :pukey: i deffinetly just did and i have a wet towel to proove it

1 - 19 of 19 Posts