Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about buying a home gym to try and keep in shape and was wondering if anybody had experience with the Bowflex and Crossbow models. thanks.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
gym

I dont own either of those but i do use a universal machine that works well, you have to keep in mind that you should do specific excersises targeting archers. Its not the machine its the excercise that will help....I do alot of shoulder specific excercises to keep my rotator strong and injury free! It does help if you like to shoot alot!

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
be free...

I like free weights myself. With a bar and some plates you can do bench, tris, curls, squats, shoulder presses, cleans, etc. They also don't take up much room, except for maybe a bench. You just have to be creative.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I too am a free weight fan. You will get a greater range of motion with free weights, they take up less room and cost less. I'll bet you could accomplish your goal with a good flat bench and a set of dumbells. Cost about $150.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
I also would go with free weights. JMO but with the upper body exercises the free weights will get all those little stabilizers muscles working as well. This would definitely benefit any archer:)

Bowgal

·
Registered
20,288 Posts
BowDuster -

If your looking to work the archery muscles, don't; they are very deep back muscles, that are very difficult to work (the same way) with machines or free weights, I know, I've tried.

I really prefer free wights, but once you get into it, you'll need a spotter (for safety), and working out at home, that can be a problem. About two years ago, I bought a multistation, multirack home gym, from a company call Pacific Fitness,and shoehorned it into my basement. It is fantastic. I use it 4/week and am getting great results. BTW - this is coming from a guy whh had a 4 plate (#405) bench-press in his 30s, so this machine is OK. OK, ok, I'm 46 now.

I've never been a fan for progressive resistance (like the bowflex and Universals), and though the bowflex does boast use of ansilary muscles, while that can be benefical, it does increase the possibiltiy of injury, if your form is less than perfect.

Viper1 out.

·
74,535 Posts
Free weights

I know from most studies that good set of dumbells and maybe a lat machine{a must to work back] great workout for archery and fitness.

Cybex has some machines that seem to work in the gyms better than anything I have seen.

I have seen the bowflex and those machines and feel its certainly good choice if space if a promblem.

I honestly feel nothng will replace free weights for strength and building tendon strength.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I work out using free weights, machines, and a "Total Gym". It seems to be made well and is not a piece of junk un-like some other home machines. But like the others have said, free wieghts will do the job.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I work part time for a sporting goods store that sells both. They both work well. I have used them both. The Bowflex is MUCH more expensive, but it is smoother and you can curl 1 arm at a time if you want. The bowflex starts around $1000 then you have to add the latt tower and legs and anything else you want. It dosen't take long to hit $2000.

The Cross bow works equally well for a LOT less money. Around $600 fully rigged. It is a little notchy and you can't do 1 arm exercises. You can, but you will not get full restiance.

Dollar for dollar the Crossbow is the better buy. If money isn't an object, go with the Bowflex.

Now with all that said, I own a Total Gym. It does everything I want it to. And does not take up any space in the basement.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I took the plunge and bought the Bowflex a year ago.

I do like it, well designed but it is a little expensive for what you get. I would have liked to seen a few things different on the machine for rock-solidness. That said, it can give a WIDE variety of workouts in one machine. It does take up some room once the leg attachment is on there, so make sure you have enough space.

One thing I do like is that since you don't have the mass weight in your hands during the movements (like a dumbells), yet you are still moving against the resistance, you'll notice your stabilizer muscles going crazy at first trying to keep things steady during the reps. After a week or two of using it those shakes go away which means your stab muscles are getting into the swing of things. :)

I didn't have time to join a club so that's the reason I bought it- for use at home when (if :rolleyes: ) I get time. It does do that job.

I liked the unit the more I used it.

·
Registered
795 Posts
:) I asked DB a similar question a few weeks ago and he answered much the same as here and I do respect and appreciate his response. Since then I've been back to the orthapeadic surgeon (recent rotator cuff surgery) and I asked him the same question. His next question was "What are your goals?" My goal is to shoot archery for a very long time without further injury. His response was, because of my age (58) he would recommend a machine, and light free weights, no more than 25lbs. He said if my goal was just to build muscle and strength then free weights are the way to go, but there is less chance of injury with a machine especially since I live alone and will work out alone.

·
74,535 Posts
1arrowking

I hardly ever go any higher than 25lbs on dumbells. Certainly would use no more than muscles will allow. Especially training shoulder muscle that is small muscle and easily strained. One thing for sure listen to your body when training and it will talk back. I went to the gym the other day and of course went great guns, my body was sure talking the next two days. All kinds of fitness is good. My wife uses one of those bikes that you push and pull, they work.
I just need to do like Dr. Phil said stay away from fast foods and eat rational portions. Hard for us fat boys to do!

·
Registered
937 Posts
freeweights

i use both freeweights and a crossbow at home when i dont want to go to the gym. both work great but im sure DB can tell you. for us that bench more then 250 the machine doesnt do as much for ya. but they both work. i genearlly put 125lbs on a curling iron and go to town but like db said. your arms screem at you for the next 3 days.

·
74,535 Posts
Machines

Only thing I have wrong with machines is they tend to not strenthen the tendons as well as resistance training. Everyone knows they can do alot more on machine. In archery you want to work work tendons and joints also. There are some good machines in gyms today such as Cybec.

·
Registered
20,288 Posts
Re: Machines

DB -

Daniel Boone said:
Only thing I have wrong with machines is they tend to not strenthen the tendons as well as resistance training. Everyone knows they can do alot more on machine. In archery you want to work work tendons and joints also. There are some good machines in gyms today such as Cybec.
Why? the only delta, is that machines don't (usually) force the use of stabilizer muscles. The tendons only connect the muscles to the bones (and contain specialized nerve endings), so why wouldn't a machine bench press strengthen tendons like a free-weight press?

Actually joints are made up (primarily) of cartilage, ligiments, with the articulating surfaces floating in synovial fluid, in a surounding bursal sac. Not sure where tendons come into play, except as above.

Not really looking for a debate, I like free weights, just hard to get a regular spotter.

Viper1 out.

·
74,535 Posts
Viper 1

I have been to many seminars that tell these things in my many years. One with Dr. Fred Hatfield for instance and Strength coachs such as Jon Kolb [ 3 time steeler super bowl winner} who all my rountines are based on. I also attended one that Tom Plates talked at about this. I know from training a few elderly people the tendons and joint started feeling better with use of resistance training and they honestly said they were not feeling it on the machines. I quess its like Jack Lalane says if you dont use it you lose it, machines dont strech and work the tendons as much. Is 400lbs on machine anything like 400lbs freeweights. Never will! But remember good form in lifting is everthing. There no big secret to strength, I have trained to many atheletes to know that.

I trained for a year on Nautulius equipment with very little gains.

I know in most seminars its always a topic of many lifters for years. Macnines versus Free weights. Best advice is train three months on each and then tell me which is better. I feel a mixture of both is best.

·
Registered
176 Posts
bowflex

i at one time had the same question.i used to be a competive body builder then i got another life-archery.i gave up the gym but still wanted to stay in shape.got HOOKED on the bowflex adds=had to buy one.got it and thought what a toy!!well iwas WRONG!this piece of equipment WILL PUMP YOU UP!!!!!!you get negative and positive resistance.it does not take up much room which i liked.no clangging noise of weights-very quiet and very smooth.you will get a good work out.much easier to store than free weights.if you are tall ,you might(over 6'2") have some problems with the leg presses.other than that i give it 2 THUMBS UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TRAIN HARD -WIN EASY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
weights

I agree with DB in that a good program reflects a balance of free weights and machine lifting...I mainly use the machine for keeping the shoulder and rotator muscle area strong to prevent injury. I dont use it to bulk up. Im 6'2 and weigh 196....Im not a muscle jockey.I just like to stay fit because of my job and to keep up with my 15 and 12 year old boys....and for archery of course!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow-I didn't expect so many replies. I already have free weights and a decent bench, but I am looking for something I can use along with my wife at home. I've got my weight bench at the airport and can't find the time to get uch done when I'm at work, so a quick and thorough workout is what I am looking for. I too used to do a lot of free weight lifting in college and high school but time and chances are much fewer now. Thanks for the help.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts