Archery Talk Forum banner

Homebrew Supply Questions

812 9
Do you builders purchase the servo assemblies or wire your own servo connections and purchase the PW01 connectors in bulk?

Does anyone have a source where I could purchase quality glass circles 1.75" in size?

One more question: If I were wanting to build a trail cam and not have a "removable camera" and wired the hack straight from inside the came to the externals, and the board.... do you have to use braided wire?

THANKS!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
13,490 Posts
Do you builders purchase the servo assemblies or wire your own servo connections and purchase the PW01 connectors in bulk?

Does anyone have a source where I could purchase quality glass circles 1.75" in size?

One more question: If I were wanting to build a trail cam and not have a "removable camera" and wired the hack straight from inside the came to the externals, and the board.... do you have to use braided wire?

THANKS!
www.whitetailsupply.com

· Pay It Forward
27,096 Posts
Many use custom servos - I order my building supplies from Mouser -
http://www.mouser.com/?utm_source=MSN&utm_medium=ppc&utm_campaign=brand
Part numbers....
538-70107-0003
538-50-57-9404
538-70107-0004
538-50-57-9405
538-16-02-0096
538-16-02-0108

The 1.75" glass can be a little tricky - WTS has some 1.5" stuff, but I don't think that they don't have 1.75" glass

You never HAVE to use braided wire, but it is good choice - the single strand wire is very susceptible to many issues that can wreck havoc on a build, especially in diagnosing a problem - there is some very good, thin, stranded wire available at very reasonable prices, check out TCS...
http://www.tcsdcc.com/public_html/Customer_Content/Products/Supplies/Wire/Wire.htm

Joe

· Registered
392 Posts
Charles (Buckshot164) hardwires most everything he builds. The servos are only needed if you plan to use the camera outside the homebrew. TBass (PATrailcams.Com) has some very nice 1.5" glass. I have never seen any 1.75" stuff though.

· Registered
6,055 Posts
Yes I hard wire most of my builds. I build a trailcam. If I want a camera to take pictures outside of the cam I will buy a much better camera. It is like this. When you plumb lets say your bathroom. The more joints you have the more chance of a leak. That goes with trailcams. The more connectors you have the more chance of something happening. Solid core wire is not made to keep bending or they will break. I see people running solid core wires out the speaker holes on a s40. You are bending the wires 90 degrees. They will eventually break where they bend.

· Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I hard wire most of my builds. I build a trailcam. If I want a camera to take pictures outside of the cam I will buy a much better camera. It is like this. When you plumb lets say your bathroom. The more joints you have the more chance of a leak. That goes with trailcams. The more connectors you have the more chance of something happening. Solid core wire is not made to keep bending or they will break. I see people running solid core wires out the speaker holes on a s40. You are bending the wires 90 degrees. They will eventually break where they bend.

Makes perfect since! I am still learning, and actually thought the other day how I would like to hardwire a few for my own use.
Simply to do away with the servo connection.

· Pay It Forward
27,096 Posts
I agree with Charles - most of the servos that I build are custom servos 8-13 pin for custom work - if I need standard servos for certain builds I don't mind supporting folks like Dave, Tony and Daryl - sometimes it's not worth the effort. Last weekend we had rain the whole time so I did belt out a dozen 5-wire servos....

Joe

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.