Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Homebrewers who got there start here. If you did how many builds have you done so far. What do you think would make things better. I do think the stickies help. I did not start here on archerytalk. I got my start on Jesseshomepage.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Well kind of . Between here and huntingpa . bought a camera froim you then Built my first one shortly after . Going to build a few more this winter .thanks again to all that posted info here .

·
Registered
404 Posts
Haven't technically "started" yet, but this site, by far, has been the most informational. The stickies got me to at least a good starting point, and then of course the forum helps a lot as well.

Looking forward to my first build.

·
Registered
974 Posts
i started on hagshouse. but i do check this site quite often

·
Registered
192 Posts
I got my start here back in October. I have built 4 cameras and have 2 more to do and 1 video unit. The first build I did was with a p100 with a SSS board, with 3d camo in a 1060 pelican case.
I got linked to Hags from here and got a lot of info from there on my second build which was a IR p41 with slave. I used the still cam sticky right much when I built my first and have been going over the DXG sticky alot while I'm getting parts together for my video unit. I have a guy thats going to do the hack for me on this one though. Then I can see how it was done for my next video build. Thanks to all that have posted the info and helped me get started.

·
are they chasing yet??
2,326 Posts
started here!!!

i got hooked on here,and i am in the process of rounding stuff for my first build.
i have to thank buckshot164,mike from texas,judger101,bowhunter009,
12-ringer and thunderchicken2.i hope i didnt miss anyone.these guys have all answered the questions i have threw at them and i appreciate it!!
and im sure im not done asking!

·
Lurker Extraordinaire
9,201 Posts
It's all Buckshot's fault!!!!

I read through his s40 tutorial and decided to try it. 8 cameras later(plus 3 more sitting here waiting to be hacked & built) I'm hooked. I would like to thank Buckshot(along with many others) for all the knowledge shared with everybody & Kdornski ...he has answered a lot of question & given me quite a few ideas.

Kevin

·
Registered
723 Posts
i started here. i'm on my 3rd trail cam.
What do you think would make things better.
when i'm looking for a cam on ebay, everyone else would hold their bid !!:wink:
i've said this before and i'll have to say this again . there are a great bunch of guys on this site, and i appreciate all the help . thanks

·
Registered
822 Posts
I started here about a year ago. After reading through Buckshot's trailcam tutorial a few times I decided to give it a try. I have completed 8 trailcams so far, the first 2 were S40's I purchased from Charles already hacked and the rest I have done myself. I have cameras I am working on in various stages of being built. It's a great hobby but I am not sure what I am going to do with all these cameras! (He who dies with the most trailcams wins!) A special thanks to all here that have shared information and tips, I would never have even considered making trailcams with out the support of the people here on AT.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I first got intrigued seeing homebrews on here, then searching the web found the other sites dealing with them. I have a few, and have a P32 on the way. The only one I built myself I did this summer, a P41/BF. I am 51 years old and paint cars for a living, and my Dad is a retired machine shop supervisor, so I've ran a few lathes here and there as well. While I seem to be able to tackle most anything with my hands and common sense, hacking cameras is something I have yet to tackle, and may never! LOL! Electronics, especially this really small stuff is like calculus to me, I just don't get it. So I would hate to ruin the investment I make in a camera trying to do something out of my league and send it off for the hack. Buckshot has done the few I have for me and I'm much appreciative of his time, knowledge, and help with my questions. In fact I feel like I can always ask on here and get an answer. Egbert and Kdorski have been quick to answer as well. I had pm'd back and forth with Kdornski on another site also, and once was going to buy a camera from him, but that week my son fell asleep coming home from college and flipped his truck 10 times. Needless to say I forgot all about buying that camera untill just now when I saw his name on here, and hunting, archery, homebrews, etc. have all taken a back seat the last couple of months. All is much better now but the hunting season is almost over. Maybe during the next few months I can build a couple more. It's almost getting to the point that checking the cams has become more fun to me than the actual hunt itself! And hey Kdornski, if you read this shoot me a pm! Thanks to all you guys.

·
Registered
45 Posts
started here for the most part, then ventured onto hags, ive got 4 homebrews out right now and a moultrie lol, sold 1 p52 and have 2 p41 laying here to do, just havnt got around to it with season and all

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
First started back when Jessie was doing the Owl PF's 35mm. Notice I said started, never finished it...have everything hacked and parts just never put it together. Started with Hags as a lurker and then found the link to here and finally said the heck with it and let's just do it. Started actually building beginning of this year and have 3 S40's with 2 more ready to go and waiting for a 380 to try a "fast" trail cam. Too many dreams of things but not enough bling.

It's all Buckshot's fault!!!!

I second that!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I got my start on here also in about Aug. My son told me about this place and the cameras. I checked it out, saw how to build the cams and jumped in. I went to ebay and bought 3 s40 cameras. I hacked all3 just from Buckshots information on here doing the scatch method. I ruined one but the other two worked out good for me. I hooked them to yeti boards and they have been in the field since Oct. I also built 1 DXG with lights and sound that I used this season. I have another s40, a p41,p31(I think it is) and a p32 to do yet and just picked up another DXG to do in IR. Presently I have a Viv 2800 on the bench. I want to thank all the guys that have helped me along the way here. You all know who you are. Thank you.
Don:wink::banana:

·
Registered
974 Posts
o you will like the slaves, my favorite build is a vivitar 2800 with a p52. i have a few dxgs, but i love cameras with slaves, the pictures are amazingly bright. although the video units are extremely cool and i will continue to build them to use in my trail camera arsenal!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yes sir, I blame this site, and so does my wife!
I have built one ss/p32/1040 with external 12v power
and one ss/p41/1040
Afraid to even quess how many I will have by next summer :}

·
Registered
345 Posts
I got the idea of building a homebrew on here about this time last year and jumped in. Did a lot of looking here and found the other sites. My plan was to do a couple S40 like in the tutorial. I ordered enough stuff to do about 7 different builds and was waiting on parts for my S40's and built 2 P52's for my first camera's. This site has been great. I would hate to figure out how many I have built in the last year. I would guess 20+ I really like the stickes and think a basic termonolgy (SP?) and and FAQ sticky would be good.
Ben

·
Registered
6,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It is nice to see

It is nice to see how much everyone has grown. It is also nice to see that more people are getting into the video side of things. Egbertdavis`s tutorial on the DXG seems to be getting it going. Thanks for the great tutorial and information that you have given. The video would is pretty cool, I have somewhere around 8 video units to make. The ones that are building video units keep us posted on your progress.

·
Bowhunt/Homebrew have FUN
23,731 Posts
It all started....

about two years ago I asked a simple question here - then checked out Hags came back here and the rest, well - most of you know.....

I cannot even count anymore the builds I've completed, sold, traded, repaired, RUINED:mg:, improved:wink:, started and have unfinished:zip:, etc.... I tried to create a list and keep track, just for fun but I sort of lost track a little I can say that there are 12-Ringer Game Cams in 13 states and 3 Canadian Provinces - I think that is really cool - As a direct result of this hobby I have met some of the most interesting, passionate, and dedicated sportsman I know. I use to think I was alone or at least in the minority with my obsession - at least now I feel sense of community.

I had a significant setback this spring when I injured my right hand and couldn't work on the cams - that was at the height of the Jazz/DXG season. As my hand healed I was more concerned with shooting my GT then the cameras, while I am certainly entrenched with the Homebrews I am OBSESSED with bow hunting.

Now that my season is over I am hoping to turn my attention back to the 5 unfinished Jazz units and the MANY cams that are on my bench. I spent a few hours on Sunday and Monday deploying my personal fleet (which includes a few new additions) to see what made it through the orange war (PA's gun season).

I've received most of initial my assistance from Charles (buckshot), but Dave (Treetop - BFOutdoors), Gary at SnapShot, Daryl at WTS, Chris (212), Ron (egbertdavis) and George (bulltalk.65) - probably a bunch I am missing - have given some solid advice and support and it was always great to pick Dan's(OhioBowHntr) brain a little - but I just spoke with him and he is through with building cams - that is a tremendous loss for the community here and on Hags.

For those considering this hobby - it is truely rewarding but EXTRAORDINARILY addicting. What strted for me with a drill an exacto knife and some ambition as grown into light meters, drill presses, laser alignment systems, adn stock-pile of supplies and parts. Despite all of the "up's" and "downs" - embarking on this journey has been worth every minute.

·
Registered
974 Posts
i know, in my spare time ill just go to walmart and menards and walk around looking for things i could possibly use in my builds. i love how it adds another dimension to bowhunting. plus it really helps with finding those bucks. i just started building early this year and my cameras helped me find my target buck that was coming into my feeder. he was passing through a tiny little cattail slough in daylight, no other deer was going through there. but i randomly decided to put my p32 there an bam thats how he met his match.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
:wave: :thumb: I am a vurnable victim of the curious, it is things like these trail cams that triggers the tinkerer in me.

SO I have completed a S600 and a P41. I have three p41's in the works, and a DXG. I am thinking of seeing what can be done with a Fujifilm FinePix A170. It looks like it may have a chance. I need to check startup speeds and time. Just looking for a few cheaper alternatives to combat the prices of the standards which are getting out of hand.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts