Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone on here has experimented with making their own cover scent? Right now I put all my clothes in a tote and I have cedar ships wrapped up in cheesecloth that I keep in the tote as well. Once I run out of Scent-Away that I had from last year, I am going to boil some cedar chips and use the water for cover scent. Just curious if anyone does this and has had any luck with it. So far I have not been busted this year (yet). We will see what happens once I start using the cedar water.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
I tried this last week seems to work ..I took some kind of smelly weeds from my hunting area and a bunch of the green stuff off a cedar tree and distiled water,, I guess you could use rain water etc,,...and then boiled it all together for a bit...strain in though a coffee filter or paper towel ...put it in a spray bottle ...It smells pretty strong ,,I can't see why it would not help ..

·
Vendor
27,340 Posts
I tried this last week seems to work ..I took some kind of smelly weeds from my hunting area and a bunch of the green stuff off a cedar tree and distiled water,, I guess you could use rain water etc,,...and then boiled it all together for a bit...strain in though a coffee filter or paper towel ...put it in a spray bottle ...It smells pretty strong ,,I can't see why it would not help ..
Learned this in S Africa and it works great. Vertebrate Water buffalo Mammal Bovine Wildlife
Rock Fu ling Wood
left this.
It was dry of course. As long as it was burning the animals around the water hole stayed. As soon as it burned out all the animals scattered. The indians covered their scent with camp fire smoke.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Me and my dad grind leaves and acorns in a blender add water then finely strain it off. Keep it refridgerated or it will go bad but it's unreal how much it helps. Plus it's cheap so you can dowse everything heavy with it. We're gonna try boiling it this year instead.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Just wondering if anyone on here has experimented with making their own cover scent? Right now I put all my clothes in a tote and I have cedar ships wrapped up in cheesecloth that I keep in the tote as well. Once I run out of Scent-Away that I had from last year, I am going to boil some cedar chips and use the water for cover scent. Just curious if anyone does this and has had any luck with it. So far I have not been busted this year (yet). We will see what happens once I start using the cedar water.
I have not made my own scent, but I do use the cedar chips and pieces in my totes. I make bags from screen and fill them with cedar chips and I take cedar planks and drill a bunch of holes in them and throw them in my bags or totes sometimes. I also use apple wood or pine...whatever i find on the property. And to Thirdhandman's post...when i'm hunting near the cow pastures...I will usually get my boots nice and coated on my way through... but I don't smoke the ****!! LOL :thumbs_up

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good idea on the distilled water. I didn't think about that. My tap water has chlorine in it which they could smell for sure.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Take activated carbon fish filter and grind up the carbon. Mix 1 tablespoon of grounds with 1 gal of distilled water. Shake it up then transfer to another jug with a paper towel as a filter.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You can get those fish filters at wal-mart.... the carbon in those filters is probably plain old charcoal. I could be wrong though. It sure does resemble it. It would be a heck of alot cheaper to just buy a bag of charcoal (if it worked) than to buy those filters.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.