Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one have one that they would like to share?

Thanks

·
Registered
181 Posts
Might try

I am going to try something that I read.Boil some acorns in a big pot,then put the juice in a squirt bottle.It might be worth a try??

·
Registered
117 Posts
i heard of one where u do sumthing with baking soda and water and mix im not sure wat the exact recipe was though

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't know about scent elimanating but here's a cover scent or two. Take black lickerish and boil it in a little water try and cook the lickerish down really and then save the liquid off of it. Works good and then plain old vanilla like your wife would cook with. Another good one they work as cover scents

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
“Scent-No-Mo” Spray (home-made)

Ingredients:
* 16 oz. (2 cups) hydrogen peroxide, 3% solution (normal type found in drug stores)
* 16 oz. (2 cups) distilled water
* 1/4 cup baking soda
* 1 oz. unscented shampoo (Cabela’s hunting shampoo is okay)

Directions:
(1) Mix ingredients in large bowl so baking soda dissolves (water, then peroxide, then baking soda, then soap).
(2) Pour into clean 1 gal. plastic milk jug (easily found in most homes). Note: do not shake!
(3) Let sit at moderate temperature for several days until chemical reaction settles down. Note: do not leave in tightly sealed container (use milk jug with snap-on cap)!
(4) Pour prepared mixture into spray bottle(s) of your choosing.

Credit to Luv2Hunt from the bowsite!

Another Tidbit:
* I've also seen that Physoderm... green soap w/ tryclosan is recommended...
* I've also seen that either Alfalfa or Chloropyll pill are recommend by some...

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Carbon Terry has an excellent recipe on the PSE forum. Do a search and you'll find it. Lots of discussion on this topin on that forum. Hope this helps. Be safe.
Shoot Straight
Derbytown :D

P.S.
or just copy this, LOL

"I use a formula that I have seen elsewhere and modified it to suit my own needs.
2 Qts water
1 Qt hyd-perox
1 cup baking soda
1 oz no scent soap.
Mix until soda is dissolved.
Mix and let set in an open container/bottle for a few days to let the chemical reaction dissipate.
When you put into the permanent container, leave a little space incase of latent chemical action. All it does is to give off a gas and expand the bottle.
This works well for me and is incredibly cheap to make."

I'm not sure if this is CTs' recipe or not, but I think it's a goodun, LOL

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
will the hydrogen peroxide in the mixture bleach out colored fabricks that it is applied to?

a lot of people have been expressing their concerns about this.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Leave out the water in the above mixture and pour the mix into a box of uncented baby wipes from walmart and let them soak up the liquid, drain off the excess after a couple of hours and use the wipes to clean your "dirty parts" and put them in a plastic bag if you are in the field to carry them out. I use this while elk hunting and it works really well and really is refreshing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i've seen the same recipe that c++ and derbytown show. the soap helps the peroxide/baking soda mix stick to your clothes.

archeryaddict - supposedly, from what i've seen on other posts, the water dillutes the peroxide enough that clothes don't fade. of course there's no guarantee.

this is another homemade cover scent i found.

Make your own cover scent Gather up leaves sticks dirt and pine needles from your hunting area, take it home and put the mixture in a pot with distilled water. Bring it to a boil and let it stand for a few hours, then pour the water into a empty spray bottle. Another thing that you can do is gather deer droppings. Put them in a plastic baggie and freeze them in the freezer. During bow season, take a little and scatter it around your stand. It does not spook the deer but makes them very curious.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
natures own...

If you hunt near cow pastures, find some fresh cowpie and put it on your boots. The scent is something they are used to and it hides your odor. If you live in the country, you might like it!

Thats my input.

Jon

·
Registered
9 Posts
FirefighterC1 said:
I am going to try something that I read.Boil some acorns in a big pot,then put the juice in a squirt bottle.It might be worth a try??
doesnt work tried it not enough scent

·
Registered
249 Posts
no

Archeryaddict said:
will the hydrogen peroxide in the mixture bleach out colored fabricks that it is applied to?

a lot of people have been expressing their concerns about this.
We make about 15 gallons a season using the formula that C++ gave above and have never had a problem with it fading camo. It works every bit as good as the stuff that you buy. I figured it up last year and I think it was about $3 a gallon to make. The only problem we had was the milk jugs developing tiny leaks after a few weeks of sitting around. You can add earth scent to it and have earth scented scent killer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
shelf life??

I made a few batches of the homemade stuff and am wondering what the shelf life is on it? Once it goes through the "curing" time how long will it be good for??
Thanks
Jeff

·
Registered
19,452 Posts
huntswnm said:
I made a few batches of the homemade stuff and am wondering what the shelf life is on it? Once it goes through the "curing" time how long will it be good for??
Thanks
Jeff
As long as it is kept closed, it is good for another year at least. I had some leftover from last year and added my new right to it.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
C++ said:
“Scent-No-Mo” Spray (home-made)

Ingredients:
* 16 oz. (2 cups) hydrogen peroxide, 3% solution (normal type found in drug stores)
* 16 oz. (2 cups) distilled water
* 1/4 cup baking soda
* 1 oz. unscented shampoo (Cabela’s hunting shampoo is okay)
I used this formula last year and it ended up smelling like "un-mentionables" does anyones else get a funny smell from it, or did I do something wrong??

1 - 18 of 18 Posts