Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I make a lot of homemade treestands/platforms, anyone else? Looking for plans to build a stand on single trees, any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I have a plan that was published in the Missouri Conservationist back in the eighties. Have built several of them. They are a hang on type using 2 X 2 for the frame with 1/2" plywood for the platform and an old automobile lap buckle seat belt to fasten to the tree. I have substituted light chain with a small boomer for the seat belt. Light, cheap and easy to build. If you are interested, PM me and I can email it to you. KE

·
Registered
7,573 Posts
Hi guys,

I make a lot of homemade treestands/platforms, anyone else? Looking for plans to build a stand on single trees, any suggestions?
Home made treestands doesn't seem like a wise thing to do. I remember many years ago when that was the only way to go. There weren't as many hunters as today but there were a lot of accidents an more than a few deaths from home made stands.
On top of that there are many good quality safe stands for very low prices.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Most home made tree stands are better than store bought. Not all but most. They are made in a America first of all. Better material and made to last. Crap you buy in stores now is absolute junk!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Use to build stands long time ago . I found one back Home one time made out of one those chairs made out of wooden barrel from the 70s somebody was thinking comfort . Also found one that was a metal tractor seat nailed in tree and a board for your feet lol.

·
Premium Member
4,974 Posts
I'd be hard pressed to guess at how many treestands I've built and hunted in over the last 50 years, but it's a bunch.

Since I hunt primarily small tracts near town, most were abandoned after the property was sold for development.

The only time I ever had an accident was in the building of one, not in its use. I fell 12' onto my back, but fortunately in a pile of leaves I'd previously raked just under the tree. I agree, use those harnesses.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
When I first started hunting, there were a group of guys that hunted my Uncle's property along with me. They made portable treestands that could go in a tree at any angle. They worked great and were super stable, even if the tree trunk was angled or gnarly, the stand would sit level and rock solid. They used a separate platform and seat and were a great design. I'm going to have to resurrect the design this summer and build a couple. There are some trees on the land I hunt that wont accommodate a standard hang-on or climber.

·
3%er
3,635 Posts
My favorite in the old days was a treated 2x12 about any length, usually 2.5 feet. Cut a V out of each end, now have a wedge board to set in about any tree with a V fork in it. Drill hole in either end and run pull up cord through it. Wrap cord through inner v cuts to carry. If I used a seat, it was one of those chain on kind that will flip up. Had to stomp it in good then you are set. You could reinforce em with some stock aluminum angle drill the bottom. Killed a lot of deer off of those little stands.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts