Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to have say I am no archery expert and look here for a lot on help and insight. As you can guess that I shoot a PSE Triton that I really think a very very good bow for the money. I also know there are better. That being said I may have the opportunity to buy a new bow and am looking to go ahead and buy what most would think to be a top of the line bow. My criticism is in regards to trying to sift through all the B.S. that is said about the big two. Bowtech Alleigance vs. the Matthews SB. I know that all say go out and shoot them for yourself which I will try and do, but as a fellow archer and not an expert if you were to do a search on the two bows trying to make an educated choice between the two it is almost impossible to get through the B.S. This is my point, not to rip on anyone, just something to think about. Here I am trying to gain all the knowledge of the two top bows and couldn't tell if the string sucks on a Matthews, if Matthews lies about their FPS, if Bowtech people are just trying to slam Matthews because they have been known to be top of the class for years. See my point, Yes I am an outsider to both manufacturers but interested to pick the best this time. I just wish facts and information stated were not so obscured by B.S. Thanks hope what I said made sense

·
NC ASA Director
36,015 Posts
I would take what a Mathews owner says about a Mathews and what a Bowtech owner says about a Bowtech as the truth. I wouldn't take anything about what one says about the other as gospel.

Both are great bows. You won't go wrong with either of the top two bows for 05.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
I hear ya!!

psetriton said:
I am going to have say I am no archery expert and look here for a lot on help and insight. As you can guess that I shoot a PSE Triton that I really think a very very good bow for the money. I also know there are better. That being said I may have the opportunity to buy a new bow and am looking to go ahead and buy what most would think to be a top of the line bow. My criticism is in regards to trying to sift through all the B.S. that is said about the big two. Bowtech Alleigance vs. the Matthews SB. I know that all say go out and shoot them for yourself which I will try and do, but as a fellow archer and not an expert if you were to do a search on the two bows trying to make an educated choice between the two it is almost impossible to get through the B.S. This is my point, not to rip on anyone, just something to think about. Here I am trying to gain all the knowledge of the two top bows and couldn't tell if the string sucks on a Matthews, if Matthews lies about their FPS, if Bowtech people are just trying to slam Matthews because they have been known to be top of the class for years. See my point, Yes I am an outsider to both manufacturers but interested to pick the best this time. I just wish facts and information stated were not so obscured by B.S. Thanks hope what I said made sense

Triton..

One piece of advice... Don't ever EQUATE $$$$ to bows... There are some far less expensive bows on the market that easily out-perform or are equal to some of the supposed high $$$$ contraptions.... As far as the Illusion goes... IMHO it is superior in feel and balance to both of the others u mentioned.... I've shot them all LOTS!!! Anyway...Goodluck...

Cheers
Tim

·
Registered
350 Posts
psetriton said:
That being said I may have the opportunity to buy a new bow and am looking to go ahead and buy what most would think to be a top of the line bow. I know that all say go out and shoot them for yourself Yes I am an outsider to both manufacturers but interested to pick the best this time.

This is not knocking Bowtech or Mathews because they both make a great bow, but don't limit yourself to what other people think is top of the line. Shoot those two companies and maybe a couple more and buy what feels best for you no matter the brand.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great advice on taking the owners of each for their own bows

Very good point to listen to only a bowtech owner on BT and Matthews on Mat.

That will cut out some of the crap. But I have been happy with my PSE and very compelled by the Illusion.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
The Allegiance owners will think thier bow is the best and the Switchback owners with think their bow is the best and the Illusion owners will think their bow is the best. And they would all be correct for them , else they would not have purchased their bow.

Some people are extremely or even excessively brand loyal for some reason. These people may either be on staff, or recieve something from their promotion, or even be a dealer who are pushing their #1 brand. Other's -- it is just a personality trait.

There are a few people who post on this board who own both -- these would be fairly unbiased, IMO. Then there are others who have experience with both but own neither -- more likely to be unbiased as well, but maybe not totally.

If the person has a bow/company in their avatar or in their signature, chances are they are biased toward that bow/company, and you would naturally expect that -- it they feel the need to advertize what they shot, they have a bias or another motivation for doing so. It is often a "look, me too!" type of thing for some. :wink:

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
Honest Criticism

I have owned both Bowtech and Mathews, I know you are looking for HONESTY so the best truth that I could give is they are both great bows manufactures. I owned the BOWTECH Patroit VFT and it was a great bow but on the other hand there was a few things that just didn't fit my style. Ilike my axle to axle length to be at least 34" for the bow to be an ALL AROUND bow. I personally shoot a Mathews LX right now and have no reason to shoot the Switchback, I have shot a Mathews bow for 7 years, and bad to say have owned everyone made and demoed others, but my brother and a few of the guys that shoot 3-D with me own the SB and love it. As you can tell by now I'm for Mathews but don't knock the BOWTECHS at all, they are both great bows and at least you are not looking at HOYT, cause the "2 cam" bows are old news!! Food for thought, the new Bowtech have the Binenary Cam system that just can out, ( now being in the market to buy something new I personally would let other people shot it for a while and see if it has timing problems or sting stretch) as for the Mathews the reason why they are so loved as a bow company is for the single cam innovation. The new COBRA Cam is great in the fact that they are simple. They draw smooth and the bow has no and I mean no hand shock at all!!! The SB that I demoed was set at 28" draw shot on 65lb. pull with a 330 grain arrow and shot and amazing 288 fps. with no vibration at all!!! I have also demoed the new ALLIEGENCE by Bowtech and this was a great shooting bow with speed, but did have alittle more "POP" to it than the SB!! Take your time and give both bos a chance, if you have a pro shop near test them both out and see the difference for yourself!!!! Keep shooting straight

·
Complaceny Breeds Failure
4,454 Posts
There isn't any advice anyone can give you here that is more important than you shooting each of these bows and determining what is right for you. I shot the Allegiance and was blown away at the time. I shot the Switchback right after the Allegiance and was blown away also. I alternated side by side with each bow and I just could not get used to the Allegiance's narrow grip. There is no doubt that it is faster than the Switchback, but the Switchback is smoother in my opinion.

A couple weeks later I shot a HCA Sidewinder and hated the bow to death. Fast, but the darn thing felt like a gun going off in my hand. I went to Cabela's a couple days later and the manager said that he wanted me to try a bow that he just got in. He wouldn't let me look at what it was. He nocked an arrow for me and I shot the bow and the next words out of my mouth were "Give me another arrow." After the second shot I couldn't help but look. Yep, the Browning Illusion. I couldn't believe that Browning could put a bow out like that. I was very impressed. That put the top two bows in my mind as the Switchback and the Illusion.

Well, I went to another bow shop and the owner wanted me to shoot another bow and I did. The Whisper Creek Nemesis. Two shots is all it took and I knew I had found a new #2 bow. To be honest, I rate the Nemesis and the Swichback even. What a bow! Silky smooth, 309 fps, and absolutely silent.

I did shoot another HCA Sidewinder and it is a darn nice bow. I'm not sure what was wrong with the first one I shot, but it was a night and day difference. I'd probably buy one if the price was right, but there are better options out there. So, to me, personally, I rate the bows like this.

1. Switchback
2. Whisper Creek Nemesis
3. Browning Illusion
4. Bowtech Allegiance

Many will disagree but that is okay. Not every bow will fit everyone the same.
Just go shoot. There are SO MANY great bows on the market right now and only you will be able to decide which feels the best to you. Good luck bro'! :shade:

NSTRUT

·
74,535 Posts
Facts

Both good bows

I like the switchback. It is as acurate as any short axle bow I have ever seen.

In my state there cheaper than the BT.

·
Registered
470 Posts
PSETriton i feel your pain

I was in teh same boat a while back, i shoot both bows they are with out a doubt excellent bows, i honestly dont see any down side to either bow. I finally desided on a Mathews Switchback, i dont really need to shoot anywhere near 300+ fps, so that wasnt a big selling point for me, came down to just how it felt and looked. oh and by the way Hoyt and Darton had a few very nice bows as well. Not trying to add to yoru confusion. Truely you need to shoot them see how they feel to you , and pick what ya like, then the real work begins cause you still need , sight, stab, rest, maybe a new release, so many choices and so little time to try them all :thumbs_up Good Luck

·
Registered
481 Posts
I shoot a McPherson Edge & like it very well. It aims really good & has very little recoil, vibration or hand shock. If you have a Peasron/McPherson dealer close by try one of their bows out.
As a dealer I would sugest you shot the bows you are planning on buying & decide which bow shoots the best for you & fits you the best.
You will be the one putting down your hard earned money. You will be the one to decide what you want to buy. Mkae sure of which bow you really like before doing so.

·
Lift, Run, Shoot
13,521 Posts
You ask the impossible. You want people to stick to the facts and only the facts. Problem is, decisions on buying a bow are largely not based on facts at all. They are based on personal opinion.

Based strictly on "facts" (i.e. specs etc. that are specifically measurable) quite a few of these bows would demonstrate little to no difference. Put the bows in your hands and shoot them each for a while, however, and you will likely notice some very big differences.

But then you don't want the advice that every reasonable archer on here will give you - to go shoot them and decide which one fits you best.

I'm sorry...but that's what it's going to take. There is no magic "fact" based answer to your question.

If you like the Illusion then buy it and work on learning to shoot it better than any other bow you've owned. I'll guarantee you'll be happy with your purchase, regardless of what the guy next to you on the range is shooting.

For what it's worth, I've owned Hoyt, Bowtech and Mathews. Still own a Bowtech and 2 Mathews but my hunting bow is the Switchback. I'm letting my Dad shoot my Patriot now and I'm shooting a Switchback for hunting and an Ovation for spots. I think the Switchback is incredible. It is smoother and has less recoil than any bow in the Bowtech lineup - but then that's my opinion (although I personally believe it could be proven). But then the Allegiance is not bad in those areas either, just not quite as good. But the Allegiance is faster and might actually be a little easier to tune (?). Anyway, you have to decide what's most important to you in a bow and which one gives you the warm fuzzies when you shoot it. Nobody but yourself can answer that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts