Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for info from owners of the Moultrie M-80.Not just set up on food or mineral sites.Out in the woods on trails.Anybody that has had higher end cameras to compare it to.Not first time camera buyers.I need some new cameras and have heard alot of good replys about it.My other cameras are starting to malfunction and I don't really like the models offers now.I have had bad experiences with cheap cameras in the past,but money is a little tight these days.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Subscribing to this one... Looking for the same info. Camera has the features and price I'm looking for... hope it has the durability, trigger speed, and battery life I want too!

·
Banned
5,228 Posts
They do have some motion blurr, but if your running them over a scrape or trail and you set them to snap three pictures then you should have atleast one good picture of whatever triggered it. Overall they are great little cameras...my brother bought one a few months ago and I waited to see how his was before ordering another camera. I was impressed so I bought an M80x and lock box for $130 shipped. Though to beat that for what your getting!

I ordered from Yohe Mounts and Jay was awesome to deal with! Helped me with any question I had and super fast shipping!

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Some motion blur...only other real complaints have been delay issue (firmware update is available) and the brightness of the IR array. It really reaches out there, but in some instances, it is overpowering and washes out pics. Some do report that the deer notice it much more than a typical array power. Some people experimented with putting tint over the array and their evidence seems to show that it fixes the problem with deer noticing it as much.

I generally mount mine high up (10-12 feet) and don't have the problem.

Good cam...the new models of the M80 (2012) seem to be pretty respectable, too.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a closet full of old cheap junk cameras. The last few years, I have bought 5 Trophy Cams and 2 M-80's. I bought the M-80's because of price and the problems with the 2010 Trophy Cams. One of the M-80's was mounted on a trail leading to a plot. After several days, it had taken no pictures. I knew this was a problem because of seeing deer using the trail. A Trophy Cam was mounted just above it on the same tree and took 90+ pictures in 3 nights. Still nothing on the M-80. This was last weekend and I have not yet talked to Moultrie. I'm buying more cameras this week and will go back with the 2011 Bushnell's.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Blurry night pics. Grainy video day or night. The IR s are so bright it scares the deer . They all see it and I have watched them in video intentionally avoiding going near it. Only good thing about it is its reliable and has EXCELLENT battery life. Last set of batteries I took out after a month and it was still reading 50% .

·
Registered
11,807 Posts
it is a good camera, i had 4 of them this season along with 8 2011 bushnell trophy cams. i sold them all right after the season because they are both comming out
with new / better cameras this year. if you want the m-80, i would wait and get the 2012 model, they are supposed to fix the delay issues. they came out with a update
in 2011, but it still did not do what it was supposed to do, it helped. they are going to make a black flash model in 2012. the 2011 model takes awsome night shots.

i really love the trophy cam, it is a great camera. the 2011 model was great, it had some issues in earlier models. the 2012 model is supposed to be brighter at night, that
was its only weakness.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I just started running one and I like it so far good night pics, a little motion blur if animal is moving real fast but trigger speed has improved from older moultrie's but still not comparable to the high end cams.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Ran 4 of them this year and can say they did very good for a 100 to a 130 dollar cam.I have alot of different cams over the years! Try looking up chasingthegame .com.They reviewed them last year and they tested better then some of the 200 dollar cams. U sometimes get some of the problems with blurry night time pics but i can saftly say that all in all after thousands of pics this year it has done well!!Will proably get some more this year depending on how some others test out!!

·
Registered
528 Posts
I have 2 m-80 cams and there great for the money , But I dont like them in the colder temps , batterie life is still good but not great in the cold and you get twice as many blur pics in the cold , but I would buy a nother one

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
I am looking for info from owners of the Moultrie M-80.Not just set up on food or mineral sites.Out in the woods on trails.Anybody that has had higher end cameras to compare it to.Not first time camera buyers.I need some new cameras and have heard alot of good replys about it.My other cameras are starting to malfunction and I don't really like the models offers now.I have had bad experiences with cheap cameras in the past,but money is a little tight these days.
This is NOT the cam to be using for a trail set up! With a 15+ second trigger...... you simply will NOT catch the majority of trail deer. You MUST set the M80 up near mock scrape and other spots where you know the deer are going to stop.

Also, regarding photo quality..... night images are nearly always blurred. I've found that my best results have been to leave the cam on VIDEO mode, over a scrape.

Some average vid samples from my M80

·
Registered
17,328 Posts

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
great camera for the money. the infared shines a long ways and the battery life is really good. i plan to buy a couple more for this year. always register them and if you have any issues send it back and tell them you want to replace it. moultrie has always been good to me with customer service but they have a bad rap from a few guys on here.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
m 80

Mine is pretty good, the one thing that I dont like is that in plot mode when you try to zoom in it pixelates so bad you cannot tell what the deer looks like. I was watching MW Whitetail and Winke runs the bushnells and he zoomed right in and it looked good. So I will keep my 80s but will probably try and get a couple of the bushnells. Sometimes the night pics are blurry you just have to pay attention to the angle that you set up your camera in relation to the trail. I will post a couple of pics as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
This is NOT the cam to be using for a trail set up! With a 15+ second trigger...... you simply will NOT catch the majority of trail deer. You MUST set the M80 up near mock scrape and other spots where you know the deer are going to stop.

Also, regarding photo quality..... night images are nearly always blurred. I've found that my best results have been to leave the cam on VIDEO mode, over a scrape.

Some average vid samples from my M80

15+ second trigger speed? I've NEVER heard that from a single person. I noticed you posted that on another thread a few weeks back and thought that was interesting to say the least.

You may be talking about the delay BETWEEN triggers, no? The issue that spurred the firmware update. Chasing Game and other tester have show consistent mid-1 second trigger speed. Not 15 seconds.

This cam works ok for a trail - not great...but most definitely not lumped into a feeder cam category. Set it up for two/three photos per trigger. It has done well for me on trails.

I actually thought the videos were good on my cam, but that's very subjective, and varies between cams.

I just don't want people to think this cam has a 15+ second trigger speed when it does not.

·
74,535 Posts
I got two of them. Going with the Bushnells next time.

LCD read outs on both mine are out after three years.
DB

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
I got two of them. Going with the Bushnells next time.

LCD read outs on both mine are out after three years.
DB
Might be a crazy question Boone..but how did you get M-80s three years ago?

Last time I heard of an LCD issue w/Moultrie...it was the i-40 and similar series a few years back.

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
For the price you are going to pay for a Moultrie mini cam, they are easily one of the best buys on the market. Last year the M-80 was my best selling camera by a huge margin, so that in itself is saying something. Go with the masses and you can't go wrong. Shoot me a PM and I can help hook you up with a new 2012 model. I have them in stock already...

·
Registered
11,807 Posts
15+ second trigger speed? I've NEVER heard that from a single person. I noticed you posted that on another thread a few weeks back and thought that was interesting to say the least.

You may be talking about the delay BETWEEN triggers, no? The issue that spurred the firmware update. Chasing Game and other tester have show consistent mid-1 second trigger speed. Not 15 seconds.

This cam works ok for a trail - not great...but most definitely not lumped into a feeder cam category. Set it up for two/three photos per trigger. It has done well for me on trails.

I actually thought the videos were good on my cam, but that's very subjective, and varies between cams.

I just don't want people to think this cam has a 15+ second trigger speed when it does not.
he ment recovery time. the camera was supposed to have a 15 second delay, it was more like 45 seconds (when set on 15 second delay). the update was supposed to solve this, but only got it down to about 20 to 30 seconds. if you had the camera set on burst mode, it would take even longer. the 2012 models are supposed to truly have a 15 second delay.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts