Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a new set of camo clothing for next season. I really like the ASAT camo pattern, but I've read quite a few negative things about their actual garments. Issues such as material being treated with UV brighteners, cheap zippers, camo fading badly. I would love to own a set of ASAT camo, but I hate to drop the money on a poor quality outfit. So all my fellow ASAT lovers, or guys who have experience with any of their clothes what's the verdict...good buy or keep looking for something else? I appreciate any help on making this decision I can get, since there's no way for me to see these clothes in person.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
I've heard mixed reviews also, although I know some too who really like the Elite line. I have a crew base layer shirt and its nice. I really wish Sitka still made their clothing in ASAT. As an alternative, I have been very happy with the Firstlite Merino wool in ASAT. I have a Llano shirt and Springer vest. Both were great for Elk hunting in Sept. I also was lucky enough to find Sitka ASAT pants in my size which I really like.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I really like and believe in ASAT and have found a dealer I really like to buy from. Great customer service. Have received great customer service directly from ASAT also. They also have sizes in "small carcass" which the "big boxes" don't seem to carry.

However, I bought this, http://astacamo.stores.yahoo.net/elexlazipmo.html, piece of Elite clothing for a dogsledding trip in MN's BWCA and then for hunting after that.

It is soft as a baby's bottom inside and dries quickly. Hate the hand muffler thing on the front. Worst of all it pilled up after one use so badly and the dye comes out of the pilled portions that it is kind of white overall now.

Didn't return it as I like the dealer too much, but it is not likely I'll buy another piece.

good luck, dv

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I would like to buy some ASAT but it looks like the quality just isn't what I'm looking for. Any other guys out there like to comment on their experiences with the ASAT clothing?

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Thoughts

How do you want to hunt in it???
I have had both the cotton bibs / bomber and the Elite camo.

For the price I honestly don't think the cotton bibs / bomber can be beat. Wears great, comfortable etc. The price is very reasonable. All depends on how you plan to use it. I mainly treestand hunt and this works great for me.

Elite - great garmets and material - I believe the pockets are too small all around. Zipper on the jacket was ok at best. Overall - quality did not really match the price. However, I have bought some used for less money and at that price I'm quite happy with it.

ASAT as a camo - you have to try it. If you are not doing a lot of stalk / spot hunting I would recommend the Cotton Bibs / Bomber. Watch for sales in the near future - especially Sportsmans Guide. However, even at full price it is well worth it. Around 100 for the Bibs / Bomber combo.

Good Luck

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
You are correct

I really like and believe in ASAT and have found a dealer I really like to buy from. Great customer service. Have received great customer service directly from ASAT also. They also have sizes in "small carcass" which the "big boxes" don't seem to carry.

However, I bought this, http://astacamo.stores.yahoo.net/elexlazipmo.html, piece of Elite clothing for a dogsledding trip in MN's BWCA and then for hunting after that.

It is soft as a baby's bottom inside and dries quickly. Hate the hand muffler thing on the front. Worst of all it pilled up after one use so badly and the dye comes out of the pilled portions that it is kind of white overall now.

Didn't return it as I like the dealer too much, but it is not likely I'll buy another piece.

good luck, dv

They did have an issue with severe pilling on the Elite Base layers this year. Personally, the First Lite Merino Wool base layers are the best I have ever used either in ASAT or standard Black. The ASAT Elite Ultimate Jacket and Pants now are another story. I and several friends have them and they are awesome. Wish the zippers were a little quieter but that is about the only negative I can think of. If you do have any issues, ASAT will take them back and refund you no questions asked.

·
Registered
14,039 Posts
I tried some on and my first thoughts were man this stuff is restrictive, I had a heck of a time raising my arm. Second the quaility IMO is JUNK, the zippers were hanging up I had a heck of a time getting it off...

·
save the decoys!!!!!!!!!!
7,033 Posts
sucks, i dont own anything in asat, and i firmly believe its the best pattern out there....
need to get some.

·
The pugs keeper
5,958 Posts
i purchased there 3d leafy pattern and am very happy with it. i then use my other camo and warm clothing underneath. only thing i didnt like was the coat had no holes in it for your hands to slip threw into your inner coats pockets as im not much of a glove wearer. other wise its been great. i also am a tree stand hunter, not sure how it would hold up to elk or lots of walking style of hunting.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Asat I believe also is the all around best pattern out there. I had a big eight pt. look straight up at me this year under my stand the walk off behind me, with asat I think they look right though you.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
the cotton clothing does seem to fade quite a bit. but the elite gear is really nice I like it alot! as for the uv brighteners almost every company has uv brighteners in thier fabric. give the elite gear a try I think you will be very happy the stuff is very nice!

·
Registered
10,277 Posts
I'm looking to buy a new set of camo clothing for next season. I really like the ASAT camo pattern, but I've read quite a few negative things about their actual garments. Issues such as material being treated with UV brighteners, cheap zippers, camo fading badly.
ASAT ensures that none of their clothes have been treated with UV brightners. In the past their own testing has shown shipments showing up with brightners and those get sold billed as "UV bright -paintball use" or something similar.

The early runs of Elite Ultimate coats came in with some crap zippers. That has been taken care of now. In fact, the second shipment of jackets were sent back out to have the zippers replaced by a third party seamster before being sold to the public.

The cotton series stuff fades for sure. My Elite Ultimate stuff has not faded at all. I only wash my stuff, no dryer. One pair of my Ult pants has pilled some, but I pulled out some other fleece garments I have and the bottom line is fleece pills over time. I really like the Elite Ultimate jacket and pants myself, and use it as my outer layer until it gets below 30 degrees.

I have 4 of the elite extreme zip mocks mentioned. None has had the problems mentioned above, but the couple I have that are 2 years old are pilling some. I don't mind much because those just get used as underlayers.

The uninsulated cotton Elite Essential pants are also a huge jump in quality over the standard cotton series pants.

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well that's a little more reassuring to hear some positives about the ASAT clothes! I'm pretty much a treestand hunter, but I plan to do quite a bit of bowhunting this next year from a ground blind as well. I'm looking for something warm, but not overly bulky. I live and hunt in western NY, it gets cold here during the later parts of the bow/gun season. I only bowhunt so I need something that isn't going to be too resrtictive. I can always layer up under whatever I wear. Quality of the garments is very important to me.

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
I really like the asat ultimate pants. I think they are extremely durable and I really like the cut. I Hate the fit of the sitka pants. I also have some of the sitka asat shirts and think they are decent, but I think they wear as bad if not worse than alot of other brands I have tried. I like the merino line from first lite and cant wait to see their pants. I'd love to find me another 90% jacket in asat since I lost mine chasing elk:embara: Alan

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
I have a full set of ASAT cotton.Pants,shirt,tee shirt,jacket and hat.I have had no problems with it yet.I also have a Leafy Suit and I can't say enough about how well it works.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I wish I could find a place to see the gear in person. It looks great, and I'm sold on the idea of the ASAT pattern, but the quality concerns I've heard make me nervous.

Anyone else have more info on their experiences with the gear?

·
Registered
662 Posts
I really like the asat ultimate pants. I think they are extremely durable and I really like the cut. I Hate the fit of the sitka pants. I also have some of the sitka asat shirts and think they are decent, but I think they wear as bad if not worse than alot of other brands I have tried. I like the merino line from first lite and cant wait to see their pants. I'd love to find me another 90% jacket in asat since I lost mine chasing elk:embara: Alan
The First Lite pants are THIN. I think you would be surprised. My brother sent his back and he spoke with someone from First Lite and they are not happy with them and no more of the first run will be sold. All my other First Lite is AWESOME. I wish they would make a hunting sweater/pullover from other wool (thicker) that is not merino that could be worn over the merino....First Lite are you listening...LOL

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
The First Lite pants are THIN. I think you would be surprised. My brother sent his back and he spoke with someone from First Lite and they are not happy with them and no more of the first run will be sold. All my other First Lite is AWESOME. I wish they would make a hunting sweater/pullover from other wool (thicker) that is not merino that could be worn over the merino....First Lite are you listening...LOL
Good to know. Day one also makes some great gear and they offer the asat pattern. There pull overs are pretty great.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts